Really could use some support.

Options
I admit. I get stressed and whine about it a lot sometimes and really hope I'm not annoying you guys with it. Today, I'm stressed. I pretty much ate out the fridge..maybe gained a few pounds and I just feel terrible. Before I came to MFP I was walking 7 miles a day, ate pretty much anything I wanted..just cut my portions and lost weight. I felt happy. Now that im watching my calories, I obsess every day staying under/going over my calorie limit, wanting to workout like a lot of you people here. I feel trapped in my own skin..don't feel pretty..still have 50 pounds to lose..blah blah why can't I just do what I can do? Don't worry about my calories regardless..even if i go over on most days. Why do I give in to foods and not lose any weight? Why can't i truly commit the way i want to even if i try? :cry:

Replies

• AntoinetteONeill
    Options
    Hi!
    This is just my own opinion, but if I were you I'd quit looking at calories. It sounds like it's really taking over your life and just weighing down on you. Instead I would focus on feeling good again. Keep moving, doing exercise you enjoy and rather than counting everything you eat, just focus on healthy, fresh and filling. A good way to do this is to eat by color. Make as colorful a dish as you can. Whole wheat pasta with color peppers, artichoke hearts and a little olive oil is beautiful, healthy and filling. This is a bad time of year when people easily feel blue. Start your day with a Keifer, blueberry and banana smoothie or some oatmeal? Just focus on taking care of yourself rather than putting all this pressure on yourself and the weight loss will follow.
  • christinabgsu
    Options
    We all get into these funks...please keep trying and keep your chin up! Every little bite that you are able to resist and every extra step you take will help you in the long run! Hang in there. :flowerforyou:
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer and could tell you. It could be any number of things. Were you stressed out? Not have enough healthy food around to eat or maybe you got bored with the healthy foods you did have? 50 pounds lost is a huge accomplishment and if you have enough willpower to lose that then I think you can overcome this set back. It's really easy to become over focused on calorie consumption so maybe try what you were doing before without obsessing over calories and see if that helps. I hope this helps you : )
  • sweetestthing
    Options
    keep trying! you are doing great!! Its funny because i look at you and I am inspired by you and your weight loss. Don't get obsessed, but if you are already don't let it bother you. its not so bad to be obsessed about something that is healthy and going to make you look and feel good. I think you are really depressed because you're having a tough time staying motivated and a little self sabotage. thats where mfp comes in. we are all here for you. Keep your chin up and stick to it. read some success stories and do some working out today and you will feel a million times better.
  • SunshineCherie
    Options
    Don't worry every one has some off days now and then. Just don't let them get you down. Don't obsess either. Just watch what you eat. When ever I eat I just have to stop and think, what will this look like when I plug it in. If I know that it will look really really bad, I find something else. I also try hard to work out, even if it is just walking a little bit more in a day. Just know that you are not alone and you can do this.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Pep up hon. You are doing just fine! It is normal to get down on yourself and hit walls sometimes. You are human! Just start over every time you mess up and never stop trying! I ate white bread and butter yesterday,then went back for peanut butter with chocolate syrup, finishing off with cereal and almond milk. Did I wake up heavier? No. Can I make up those calories today? Of course! You will be the healthy vixen you dream of,just give it time.
  • E2011
    E2011 Posts: 20
    Options
    Start looking at MFP as a lifestyle change as opposed to a diet. Stop counting calories, carbs, and fat and begin to understand that the concept is healthy eating. Once your perspective changes from "I have to loose X amount of pounds therefor I must do this" to "this is my life and there's no other way to do it," what you eat, food, exercise, and overall great health will become an extension of who you are as opposed to a job where you can't wait to get off.
  • ebergmann
    Options
    First off, YOU CAN DO THIS! I am so proud of you for taking control of your life and committing to being healthy. As for becoming calorie obsessed, that's an unhealthy road to go down--i did it a while ago and ended up in a bad place. A lot of the time women like us place an emotional significance on food (cookies for a reward, chocolate ice cream when you're feeling down, etc) rather than looking at food as fuel. Sure, it's calories in and calories out, but the more you stress out about going over your goal the more you'll want comfort food. If you go over one day, it's one day. You start healthy the next day, and don't let the previous day's worries or stresses interfere. You will make it, and you will thrive! :happy:
  • WritingMyLife
    WritingMyLife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I honestly think that in order to lose weight, for me, I need to work on dealing with my thoughts and feelings as much as counting calories and exercising. It isn't the dieting that makes me feel crazy, it's my thoughts and feelings about it.

I pulled out a book a few days ago that has helped me in the past a LOT! It's called "The Joy Diet: 10 steps to a happier life" by Martha Beck. It's such a small book but the steps have such impact that I can't praise it enough. It really turned my life around a couple years back. It has nothing to do with weight loss except that it puts my brain in the right place. A simple but powerful book. For example, step two is creating a moment of truth every day. I ask myself how I'm feeling? Angry, sad, scared, guilty? What is the story that I'm telling myself that makes me feel that way? (Like, I'm scared that I won't be able to see this weight loss journey through.) What is painful about the situation? Is there another story that I could tell myself that would be more useful? (Such as, I've never had as many tools before that would help me see this weight loss through.)

That's a short version and not as well explained as she does. I really recommend the book.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If counting the calories isn't working for you - if it's making you feel worse - STOP! :smile:

This whole process is about becoming a healthier person, and that includes mentally and emotionally. If you did better before, do what you did before... it's what works for you! :heart: