7 Minute workout App?

I downloaded the 7 minute workout circuit App the other day because I want to do SOMETHING in the morning before I go to work, but I can't find myself the energy to wake up in enough time for 30 minutes worth of something. I definitely can give myself 7-15 minutes though.

I tried it this morning - did 2 rounds. HOLY COW. I burned a little over 200 calories in 15 minutes and got a legit full body workout. It mixes cardio and a little resistance training using your body weight. If you have a body, a floor and a chair, you can do this workout. I LOVED IT. I'll be doing this as often as I can.

Anyone else try this?!

Replies

• Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Did you use an HRM, or is it a calorie estimate?
  • msheldon88
    msheldon88 Posts: 71 Member
    What's the app called?
  • dolthack
    dolthack Posts: 16 Member
    Sometimes when I don't have time but want to get in a large muscle group exercise to fire up the metabolism I'll do body squats. The app is called "Squats" The one I use is by RITTR labs.

What's the full name of your app and who makes it? I'd like to give it a try for those days when I don't have time for a 30-minute kettlebell.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    I downloaded the 7 minute workout circuit App the other day because I want to do SOMETHING in the morning before I go to work, but I can't find myself the energy to wake up in enough time for 30 minutes worth of something. I definitely can give myself 7-15 minutes though.

I tried it this morning - did 2 rounds. HOLY COW. I burned a little over 200 calories in 15 minutes and got a legit full body workout. It mixes cardio and a little resistance training using your body weight. If you have a body, a floor and a chair, you can do this workout. I LOVED IT. I'll be doing this as often as I can.

Anyone else try this?!
    I don't think you burned 200 calories, however if you did the workout FULL OUT like you're supposed to, it's not the calorie burn that will make the difference, but the intensity of the exercise over time and how composition of your body will be affected (meaning LBM vs BF% ratio).
    And you don't need to do it all the time either. There's a reason why it's a 7 minute workout and MORE doesn't necessarily mean better. You SHOULD try to make the workout harder for yourself in the 7 minutes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ashleysuperfly
    ashleysuperfly Posts: 44 Member
    I used my Polar HRM. I never estimate the calories I burn, that's setting up for failure haha
    Did you use an HRM, or is it a calorie estimate?
  • ashleysuperfly
    What's the app called?

I think it's just called "7 Minute Workout" The icon is green with a big 7 on it!
  • ashleysuperfly

Anyone else try this?!
    I don't think you burned 200 calories, however if you did the workout FULL OUT like you're supposed to, it's not the calorie burn that will make the difference, but the intensity of the exercise over time and how composition of your body will be affected (meaning LBM vs BF% ratio).
    And you don't need to do it all the time either. There's a reason why it's a 7 minute workout and MORE doesn't necessarily mean better. You SHOULD try to make the workout harder for yourself in the 7 minutes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

According to my HRM, I burned about 200 calories...is it not ok to go by that? And I don't plan to do it EVERY day...I've been in this weight loss game for a while now and my brother is a personal trainer, so I know the rules. But it's good for days that I know I won't be able to workout at any other point in the day.
  • Hi,

How did you calculate the calories burnt for the exercise with this app, also how do you track the calories burnt with this app?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    No, you won't burn 200 calories in 15 min.

The designers of the 7 Min Workout specifically state that is it not intended for, nor will it be effective for, a weight loss program. It is intended to be a brief workout that, if done at very high intensity (although I question how hard some of the movements can be done), it will help to maintain fitness levels during periods when someone is too busy to do full workouts. That's it.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    There are multiple 7 minute workout apps out there. The "official" app is sponsored by the Johnson & johnson co, (ie, the doctors whos work was reported in the ny times that started the 7 minute workout craze), so do a search for Johnson 7 minute workout and you will find it.
    Mike
  • 69Voltage
    69Voltage Posts: 4 Member
    Replying to an old thread, but Ashley stated she did the workout twice(15 minutes) to achieve 200 calories burned, something people seemed to have overlooked. This workout is handy since nobody can use the excuse "I don't have time to workout today" as it's only 7 minutes long. Preferably you want to do 2-3 of these back to back for optimal results.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/7-minute-workout/id650762525?mt=8
  • jstockler
    jstockler Posts: 15 Member
    Question for all you trainer or PT types out there...I am adding the 7 min workout to my day for some resistance training that works with my life (I am already am very active with treadmill plus hiking with two impatient boxers (dogs, not people)). I am 59 years old and am two years out of a total knee replacement on my right knee plus some evidence of meniscal tears on the left that are really not symptomatic anymore since I've lost 15 pounds. Things are great w/my knees and I don't want to blow it. So my question is whether I should be avoiding lunges or any other knee-unfriendly components of the routine. If so, can you give me some good ideas of how to modify them to be knee friendly?

Thank you...Julie
  • cssrox
    cssrox Posts: 1 Member
    Make sure your front knee isn't going forward past your toe and your knees are both bent at a 90 degree angle.
  • tjsquires
    tjsquires Posts: 9 Member
    I am going to use this workout in conjunction with my 30 min/day, uh, walk/jog/kind of run (i'll get better!) on the tredmill. Will that get me burning the calaries I need plus help strengthen myself?
  • I've used this work out for a week and previously was doing something similar but not nearly effective for a couple days prior. I feel like I'm seeing results and the scale is telling me so as well. I guess I'll be the guinea pig for this as I don't really plan on doing much other exercise besides this for the next two months 5 days a week. I currently do it back to back so for 14 mins. I have a desk job, don't do other exercise but outside of work I am not as stationary. It's summer so I've built a deck, swim in my pool etc. and I have a dog that I walk twice a day (wife does other walk). I'm 34, 165 pounds, 5'10'' and I would say I'm skinny fat (got the beer gut I'm trying to destroy) and I'm not willing to part with my beer :( I haven't done any formal exercise pretty much ever but my metabolism has slowed in recent years.

Anyhoo, TLDR: I'll post my results by mid September and will see if this ALONE is really effective.
  • CptPickle, how have the workouts been treating you?
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    I used the app when on vacation, and liked it. Mine is just called Seven. No ties to Johnson and Johnson that I saw - it's ad free.
    I liked it a lot. I stacked different workouts together after a short jog to warm up and then stretched out. I'll happily use it again under similar circumstances
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    I downloaded carrot fitness a few days ago. It's the same workout as I've seen published elsewhere online but with a few little extras ???? it tracks weight and your workouts, has achievements to unlock. It's fun. And holy cow it'll make you sweat. And 7 minutes is pretty heard to talk yourself out of so it works for me. But there seem to be a handful of apps both free and paid. I just went with the one that sounded fun and guided you through each without hitting timers and swiping screens.
  • Has anyone answered this question, I'm looking for the same thing! Thanks
  • How would you log that into My Fitness Pal if you didn't have the Heart Rate monitor for calorie counting?