Running 5k

Options
Any tips? I have been running for around 3 months now. Started off doing Bupa 5k training for 8 weeks then went on runs going from 25/28/30 mins. Anyway I have been doing 30 mins 3 times a week then last week had a week off due to holiday. Anyway this morning I went and did a 5k run and although I did it I really struggled. Any help? I felt really let down and felt like my running over the past 3 months have amounted to nothing. Compared to before holiday I did really badly during my run :-\

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Everybody has a bad run once in a while. Don't let your mind snowball it into a disaster. Just get out there an run again next time.
  • MacMomma2013
    MacMomma2013 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I just have an "off" day of running; not running at a great pace or with as much energy as other runs. I would chalk yours up to the first run after the holiday, and continue your 30 minute runs 3 times a week.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    You're still building your base, so don't feel bad. I injured myself 5 months after I started running, and it took me over a year to a) recover, and b) start feeling good about my running.
  • Pixiemops
    Pixiemops Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just keep on it. You didn't loose all your fitness on holiday. A couple more runs and you will be feeling back on form. I can just about manage 5K although some days I have to walk a small section.

I find doing the parkrun challenges really helpful. It's quite motivating to run with lots of other people. They are measured and timed 5K Free runs held in a park near you. You just need to register with the website before you show up.
    http://www.parkrun.org.uk
    That is the UK page, although I believe there are around all over the world http://www.parkrun.com

Anyway well done for managing 5K. Don't be disheartened, fitness is a moving target :)
  • jlambert77
    jlambert77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    your body might've needed the week off, and now after a few "bad" runs(which, by the way...it's a matter of perspective.) you'll be back to your normal, and maybe even better than ever before! :)
  • webdevsoup
    webdevsoup Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Did you run? Than it was a success. You can't beat yourself up over one "bad run". That's how you destroy your progress and slip. Exercising is a change of life style. As long as you are continuing to run, you're succeeding!

I have off days too, where my legs hurt, or my feet hurt, or whatever. Just keep going! Dang those holidays!
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but I've been running for a long time -- 40 or so years. What you experienced was not unusual. I ran Saturday 3 miles on the treadmill and a moderate pace for me, felt sluggish -- then Sunday I ran 6 miles outside with hills and felt pretty good -- then Monday I ran 3 miles and felt really good. Who knows? I do mix things up on my daily runs -- especially when there aren't any hills or I'm on the treadmill -- I almost always run intervals. I change the speeds for example run 3 minutes comfortable, 2 minutes at faster pace, or on the treadmill I mix it up even more. Some days you just feel slow, but even on those days if you throw in a few minutes every half mile or mile at a faster pace, your body gets more training effect than if you do all your runs at one constant pace. Plus it's more interesting, in my opinion.