Eating too little!

Options
So I am just starting to try and get back into using MFP more. I have a kid on the way and want to get in shape for him :) Anyway, MFP says for me to only consume 1400 calories a day to lose weight. But just the few days I have been using it I immediately noticed I am barely even reaching 1000 calories, and still feel full! If I try to eat more, I just feel waaaay to full, almost sick feeling.

Are their any helpful tips that anyone can give me to help me still consume the amount of food I need that way my body doesn't go into "starvation mode" if it isn't already?

Or any tips to get out of starvation mode? (I don't know if this is just as simple as eating more and more over a period of time?)

Replies

• sandryc
    sandryc Posts: 33
    Options
    It is really common at the start of a diet to eat less than your daily calories. You feel super motivated, you are probably eating healthier more filling foods. Don't worry too much about it.

"Starvation mode" is mostly a myth, or at least highly misunderstood. If you are eating too little and you are not very overweight you could struggle with lean muscle loss instead of fat loss. If you routinely fail to eat the needed nutrients your body requires you could have health problems long term. But, "starvation mode" as it is traditionally discussed, probably not.

If you search "starvation mode myth" in google there are a great # of interesting articles.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's probably important to note that if your logging isn't very precise then you may already be eating more than you realize. That's a common problem for people.

The easiest way to add in more calories without putting a lot of extra food into your stomach is by adding in more calorie dense foods into your diet. Things like full fat dairy, ice cream, cheese, Greek yogurt, avocado, nuts, peanut butter (or nut butter of your choise), butter, olive oil, coconut oil. less lean cuts of meat, full calorie sauces, condiments, and dressings, protein shakes and smoothies, dark chocolate, potatoes, etc. It should be fairly easy to boost each meal by a few hundred calories with a little preplanning.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Also, I would argue that MFP shouldn't be setting a 25-year-old male to 1400 calories. You can probably eat more than that and successfully lose weight. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you need to be eating way more than 1000 cal/day as a guy. Please watch this video.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk

If you are having trouble getting your calories up, work in more calorie dense foods like rice, potatoes, and beans.

Allan
  • Artosas
    Artosas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone! :happy: