Tips While In School?

Options
Greetings!
I'm a full time student, mom, wife, employee... you get the picture. School starts on Tuesday for me and my schedule will be rough. I'll leave the house at 6AM and not get home till at least 6PM. I'm looking for any tips, advice, tricks you'd like to share! So far my game plan is:

-Plan, plan, plan, plan.
-The crockpot is my friend
-Bring my own water bottle and use it all day
-I have 2 bins in the fridge ready to go with single serving healthy items so I can quickly make my own lunch.
-avoid eating out!
-don't forget the healthy fats (to feel fuller longer!) nuts, avocado...
-walk & stretch on campus when I have breaks
-make coffee @ home

Anything you'd like to add or suggest is very welcome!
:happy:

Replies

• xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are on the right track
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Planning is my best friend. Instead of writing on here as I go, I edit as I go. I plan my meals the night before and substitute/subtract as I go during the day. My lunch and dinner for the next day is prepared the night before so theres no "im so hungry imma grab something real quick"
  • chelsey86
    Options
    Zip lock baggy things are my best friend.. I take jello, nuts, a sandwich perhaps.. I bought those sunsweet ones prune things.. Not horrible, but that commercial is crap... Def doesn't taste like candy...

I also always take the stairs ( if possible ) unless I have a class on the 9th floor or something... Ankle weights are pretty awesome to wear around campus..

My campus is HUGE which means some of my classes are across campus from one another, so I have to watch what I bring as I don't like to carry more than just my bookbag..

You'll do awesome! We'll have each other for a class woes and correcting bad eating habits :))
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being in school! I just graduated in December and already missi it!

You sound like you are going to be ok. Just be sure to avoid those vending machines like the plague. At my school, it seemed like they were around every corner. One way to do this is to every night remove all $1 bills and all coins from your wallet. Put them in a piggy bank or something similar. Machines usually accept only $1 bills and coins, right? If you don't have them, you can't spend them. At the end of the month, you will be surprised how much extra cash you will have. Cash that you might otherwise have spent on junk. I remember one month I had saved $60 in ones and about $10 in coins. That was good rainy day money. Let it add up and it accumulates fast! I still do this everyday. It's become a good habit of mine. When I get back ones and coins as change, I don't spend them later.

Always bring your own lunch which you seem to have already planned. If the time comes when you forgot your lunch, or someone wants to take you to lunch, just search the menu for the healthiest choice possible. With walking, what I used to do was take breaks around campus wearing my HRM and measuring calories burned (making sure to use my iPod for company!) Sounds like you have already planned this as well. Good for you!

Carrying that water bottle around is also very smart. Tons of people at my school did this and just refilled them at water fountains.

I think you are going to be great! Good luck in school!! :drinker:

Oh yeah, I used a wheeled backpack because carrying around books and all that other stuff got heavy. If you get one, make sure it has four feet on the bottom so none of the backpack touches the ground.
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    i know ur pain, i have exam in 2 weeks and its rough. But keep focus and say no thank you nicely to those who bring candies and goodies. I would suggest slowing down on the caffeine, i bring my water bottle and keep refilling it. dont walk with any money so that way you cant go to the vending machines. bring apples, fruits in general. good luck, what are you studying?
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good plan! I would also suggest cooking double meals a few times here and there and freezing half for the days that you aren't able to get the crock pot up and running, or you just forget, or the recipe isn't as tasty as you thought, or whatever. I'm NOT as busy as you, and I find that having a few dinners already made in the freezer is awesome in case of emergency.

Good luck! You'll do great!
  • SunniGirl143
    Options
    Planning is my best friend. Instead of writing on here as I go, I edit as I go. I plan my meals the night before and substitute/subtract as I go during the day. My lunch and dinner for the next day is prepared the night before so theres no "im so hungry imma grab something real quick"

Great advice I'd love to emulate!
  • AntoinetteONeill
    Options
    That's a really great idea about the "editing" rather than logging at the time. Thanks!
  • AntoinetteONeill
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good plan! I would also suggest cooking double meals a few times here and there and freezing half for the days that you aren't able to get the crock pot up and running, or you just forget, or the recipe isn't as tasty as you thought, or whatever. I'm NOT as busy as you, and I find that having a few dinners already made in the freezer is awesome in case of emergency.

Good luck! You'll do great!

Good advice! Thanks so much!