Women and Weight Loss

Options
MarliQQ
MarliQQ Posts: 112 Member
I just read a blog post that inspired this post, and I was intrigued by the responses received. So here it goes:

What do MFP men think when they hear statements like weight loss is different for women? Do you attempt to tailor your advice for women, or has the thought even crossed your mind to do so? Or do you just feel like the statement is just BS from some lazy people?

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    BS from lazy people.

You asked...
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    BS from lazy people.

You asked...
    +1
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    BS from lazy people.

You asked...
    +1

+1 - and - As long as she makes ma a bacon sammich, I will say what she wants to hear.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    Chicks always complaining about my thigh gap.....haters.....
  • MarliQQ
    Options
    :laugh: Okay Okay.
    So concerns related to pregnancy, TOM, or great support for the "knockers" don't influence your opinions??
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Women just like to complain.

"My bf quit soda and lost 10lbs! I eat clean and lost 2!"
    "My bf needs to workout. How do I trick him into it?"
    "My bf never works out with me."
    "My bf wont stop wanting to workout with me."
    "My bf has a low sex drive."
    "My bf wont stop cheating on me."

IT NEVER ENDS
  • wheird
    Options
    So concerns related to pregnancy, TOM, or great support for the "knockers" don't influence your opinions??

Nope. Except most women who dont lose weight must be pregnant, TOM completely baffles women because magic, and boobs are more important than weight loss.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

No, because a calorie deficit will eventually prevail.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking women are not as athletic as men. Sure sure. Some of you are more athletic than some men but I mean as a whole. You don't see any women in the NFL, NBA, and women can't compete with men in track events. What you can take away form this is that men generally have more muscle mass, they weigh more, and they're going to have a slightly easier time losing weight due to higher calorie demand.

Overall, women have no excuse other than the fact that they're eating more calories than they need. Sure it sucks that you can't consume 2,500 not gain a pound while many men can do just this. That's not unfairness it's just nature. Larger animals need more nutrition. The big kicker is that most meals tend to be tailored towards men. That is the serving sizes are large enough for anyone, for obvious marketing reasons, which means that practically every single thing on the menu is going to be too much food for most women.

From my observations half of the women seem to think that they should eat the same thing their significant other does. "Who wants some apple pie?" always ends up with everyone getting an equal slice. I just encountered this yesterday. I had a beer, my friend had one and when I grabbed a second she said "You just had one". My reply was "Sure, but one beer to me is equivalent to you having half a beer. Remember, you're 5'0" and I'm 6'2". If you want to weigh 220 lbs. then keep up with me." I literally weigh twice as much as she does still that perception that she should match my intake seems to take hold.

Show me a woman that eat's a smaller steak, eats less of the fried onion appetizers, and has less of the dessert and I'll show you woman that can lose weight the same as men.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    But what if I CAN eat 2500 calories a day and not gain weight? :drinker:

But yes when some one would rather stay overweight than have smaller breasts, I am baffled.
  • MarliQQ
    Options
    No sympathy at all for the plight of the woman, even from the few women that responded :noway:
    Kind of figured this is how MFP would respond :tongue:
  • wheird
    Options
    No sympathy at all for the plight of the woman, even from the few women that responded :noway:

Which plight?
  • Beautifulreflections
    Beautifulreflections Posts: 86 Member
    Options

IT NEVER ENDS

noticing a common thread in those complaints...:laugh:
  • BluenoserGal
    BluenoserGal Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have sympathy for the plight of women, as am one. I have experienced the plight of hormone fluctuations and imbalances for a couple of years, and it makes it extremely difficult to lose weight. No matter what some posters here say, it's not always calories in vs calories out. It's way more complicated than that for some. I'm living it. Feel free to msg me to discuss further.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    BS from lazy people.

You asked...
    +1

+1 - and - As long as she makes ma a bacon sammich, I will say what she wants to hear.

bacon_weave_sandwich.jpg

What sympathy are you looking for? That you (likely) don't have as much testosterone and muscle mass as a male or what? I don't have any sympathy for my own gender with regards to weight loss unless there's some sort of medical condition involved, and even then it's more me feeling guilty for losing weight "easily" because I don't have that health issue.
  • 14PercentBodyFat
    Options

IT NEVER ENDS

Hilarious but if we're honest there's some truth in that post. #runs for the hills before the inevitable backlash. Oops!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

No sympathy from me, either. Well, of course for those (men, women, and other) who suffer with legitimate medical conditions. TOM, water weight flucuations, hormones...of COURSE we get those things. But...that's not impeding my fat loss in any way. Hide it a few weeks out of the month? Sure, but the "rules" still apply to me.

Also, until I gave up listening to all the "special wimmen's" plights and crazy things that make no sense that somehow only apply to women, then I could find the true voices of MFP and actually listen to them and find my success.
  • doIdaretoeatapeach
    doIdaretoeatapeach Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    But it is easier for men to lose weight, right?

"In summary, sedentary 24EE is approximately 5-10% lower in females compared with males after adjusting for differences in body composition, age, and activity."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1522233

So given a man and woman of the same age, weight, body fat %, and activity level, the man can consume 5 - 10% more calories.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It might be harder for women to lose weight, just because we tend to burn less calories. However the mechanics are still the same, and the difference isn't as huge as some people make it out to be. Honestly, when women use their gender as an excuse, it's just that they aren't determined enough. Muscle and fat aren't different on a man's body.
  • be_dazzled
    be_dazzled Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Our calorie requirements and body composition is different but the principle is the same, maintain a deficit to lose weight.

Pregnancy takes its toll on the body but it can and will recover.
    TOM causes increased appetite and temporary water weight gain but this can be managed.

The big difference is emotional eating, deal with that and you'll lose weight like a man.