Bagged Salad

Options
What are your thoughts on bagged salad?

I like them and being able to add to it. Makes it easy for lunch.

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i dig it.

i keep a bag at work in the fridge. lasts me a few days.
    then i can bring what i want from home to add to it.

yesterday i dumped a can o' tuna on a few cups of leaves.
    today i added the taco meat left over from last night, and some shredded beets and carrots.

tomorrow....

WHO KNOWS!? :)
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    It spoils too darn fast!
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I buy big bags of Spinach and eat spinach salads. WAY more nutrients - since iceberg is pretty much water.... I can use the spinach for dinners, lunches, and my smoothies. I always use the entire bag or box before it goes bad this way.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with bagged salad. Being pre-cut and bagged may delete some of the nutrients in bagged salads but modern ones are unlikely to use preservatives. Instead, they are packed in an airtight container or bag with a modified atmosphere that has little oxygen in it.

I buy bagged spinach because they get the grit off it better than I can. I don't do bagged cabbage because it doesn't taste as good as freshly cut. I occasionally like mesclun or roquette (baby arugula) but I'm not likely to buy more common salad bags unless I'm in a motel or something with limited cooking facilities. Now, if you are talking about bagged salads that include dressing and croutons, you need to take those into account when eating the salad.

It's certainly better to eat a bagged salad than skip your veggies.
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options
    A lot of the bagged salad I have found has spinach and kale! Oh how I love kale in my salads!
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Safeway has some pretty good ones that seem fairly low in cals and crap in them :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i have found that ive been enjoying the variety in the spring mix bags.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I buy bags of spinach that I use in my scrambled eggs. I get burnt out on salads too fast, so I don't really eat them anymore. When I am craving a salad, a bag of the spring mix or romaine works great for a base.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I buy spring mix and make my own salads with tomato, strawberries, craisins, blue cheese crumbles, carrot shreds, and whatever else I fancy. Top it off with Balsamic vinaigrette.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It spoils too darn fast!

And can be expensive!
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It spoils too darn fast!

And can be expensive!

It's convenient but I agree with the above 2 posters.

I buy 3 packs of romaine hearts and cut them up and make my own bagged salads. It's a bit cheaper but takes a wee bit more effort. You can add your own bits & pieces to it.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I agree ! Seems to start start turning 24 hrs later.
    Every time I buy it I say to myself, never again.
    But someone must because they have a huge selection of it at the store.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    i love them, but they aren't economical thus i usually buy heads of lettuce, romaine, etc. i also buy spinach, etc. for those who are concerned about spoilage, take out of the packaging and wrap in foil. same with broccoli. keeps for weeks.
  • Kate1368
    Kate1368 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like bagged salads, but they always go bad on me. I'm a new covert to mason jar salads. http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/2014/03/17/the-ultimate-mason-jar-salad-tutorial-and-recipe-round-up/
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I like the container of 50/50 spring mix and spinach they sell at Costco. The price is fairly reasonable and it lasts a lot longer than many of the bagged salads I might buy at the grocery store, too. If I want just spinach for something, I can pick out the spinach without too much trouble.
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It spoils too darn fast!

And can be expensive!

It's convenient but I agree with the above 2 posters.

I buy 3 packs of romaine hearts and cut them up and make my own bagged salads. It's a bit cheaper but takes a wee bit more effort. You can add your own bits & pieces to it.

All of this above!
  • summer144012
    Options
    I buy bagged spinach and it never spoils because I eat it every single day. I make a a spinach salad daily for lunch with it or I use it in omelettes or in recipes. I think the key is you can't have it in the fridge for too long once the bag is opened. Maybe a couple days at most.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I like the container of 50/50 spring mix and spinach they sell at Costco. The price is fairly reasonable and it lasts a lot longer than many of the bagged salads I might buy at the grocery store, too. If I want just spinach for something, I can pick out the spinach without too much trouble.

When I buy the container of spinach, I put a piece of paper towel in the container and absorbs the moisture and seems to help it to last longer.
  • snapdragon1231
    snapdragon1231 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I buy spring mix and make my own salads with tomato, strawberries, craisins, blue cheese crumbles, carrot shreds, and whatever else I fancy. Top it off with Balsamic vinaigrette.
    Your making me drool!