One Piece of Advice to Give to A Newbie

Options
12346»

Replies

• emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Take responsibility for yourself, log everything you eat and be honest about portion sizes
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do MOVE! :) Even if you're morbidly obese, getting up and moving will do wonders!
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    dont drastically drop calories, do it slowly
  • kasterrett
    kasterrett Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Get back on the wagon, even if you thought it left you behind. It didn't.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything before its cooked, because meats lose volume and pasta gains volume. This way you won't underestimate how much you are eating.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Something as simple as a walk IS a workout, no matter what anyone else says. Especially if you are just starting out.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Calories in/ calories out. It doesn't matter what you eat or how much you exercise, you'll only lose weight at a caloric deficit.

Focus on things other than just the scale. Find something you love and go with it. Focus on building strength, body recomp, nutrition, try new things, etc.

Don't get frustrated when you slow down after the first major drop. It's almost always just water weight in the beginning and will even itself out after the first few weeks. You won't continue on a 5+ loss each week. It takes time so have patience.
  • sambadelic
    sambadelic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't starve yourself. You will mess up your metabolism, maybe permanently. Eat enough to keep your metabolism fired up. Learn what your BMR and TDEE are and use the info to slowly lose the weight.
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Make meals and snacks enjoyable by giving yourself something special often like fresh raspberries, different flavors of salad dressings, air popped popcorn with a small amt of ICBINot Butter light, frozen berries/bananap and almond milk smoothie...keep experimenting with new foods. Have fun with it and treat yourself nicely while staying on track. Most of all; don't quit!
  • abear007
    abear007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    There's lots of different ways to do it - find the one that works for you. One size does not fit all.
  • ShannonS921
    ShannonS921 Posts: 194
    Options
    Best advice re: forums- use the search feature in the forums and read all of the stickied posts before creating a new post.

This.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how slow you go, as long as you don't stop.

^^ This. No matter what happens never give up, DO NOT STOP! My husband got very sick, almost died, and I stopped counting calories. I gained 15 lbs, when I regained my senses it took forever to get back where I'd been.
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale! Portion size is not what you think!
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Use the search function on the forums.
  • Aero1dynamic
    Aero1dynamic Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Never be afraid to ask for help. There are tons of people here willing to give advice and listen when you just need an ear.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Dont bother trying to cheat, your butt will catch you in the end. If you have a treat, just log it. Nothing is forbidden. It's only bad when you dont log it.
  • mybeesknees
    mybeesknees Posts: 633
    Options
    The advice that was given to me from a friend on here: slow and steady wins the race. Not sure if someone already posted it on this thread, but that's my two cents. :flowerforyou: