Replies

• ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Eating 400-600 calories a day....got really thin but was sickly

eating pickles and that was it lol

bananas only

now I just try to eat normal with a splash of working out ^_^

Pickles and bananas?? Did you do it slowly, in front of people??
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The Rotation Diet in the 80s.

I lost 30 lbs in just over a month. I was 175 and got down to 145. I was 5'8" in my 20s.
    I lost my gallbladder soon after and was told by my doctor and the surgeon that the quick weight loss, combined with the very low fat protocol, was the cause.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    way back in the day I did the Sacred Heart soup diet, so ridiculous!!
    ive also done Nutrisystem, Weightwatchers, something i dont remember the name of, ridiculous pills, you name it.
    Thankfully this time around I have mfp and this time around is the only time i ever lost the weight.:drinker:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    In for boredom
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    HCG and 500 calories a day
    Soup diet
    Cambridge liquid diet
    Phentermine
    Lemon/cayenne cleanse - forget what that diet is called.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I did the South Beach Diet a few years ago and convinced my entire immediate family to do it with me. Man, were we all *****y as hell!
    why? It's basically just food. Minus fruits and grains for two weeks if you choose that route. It's pretty tame.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I was a fiend for Ripped Fuel with ephedrine in college.

I've also done a hoaxy colon cleanse where you drink psyllium and bentonite shakes and eat one meal a day. I'm not even going to describe what happens to psyllium and bentonite after you drink it.

Oh...and I did Alli. Until the unfortunate incident in my work clothes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Anyone recall Susan Powder "Stop the insanity"? All you ate was carbs.....ugh that was awful.
    I remember her. The bald lady "FAT MAKES YOU FAT!" lol I was gonna buy that but was a teenager and my parents wouldn't give me the money. "Thanks mom and dad!" One fad diet I escaped at least
    she was a hoot! But boy she did work out! :laugh:
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    A coworker told me she was doing a cinnamon diet where you have a scoop of cinnamon every day and this is all I could picture:
    cinnamon-challenge--1.gif
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    one time I slept for like 18 hours strait and didn't eat for almost an hour after I woke up. so that was kind of a diet.
  • GrasslandFairy
    Options
    I used to be a really picky eater as a teen, so one year I ate only ramen noodles, with pepsi to drink for something like 3 months. Ocassionally I had some Taco bell, or a favorite dinner. Ended up losing around 20lbs.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Master Cleanse....drank lemon water, maple syrup and cayenne pepper for 10 days. Whats even more shocking then not eating for 10 days is the cleanse involves salt water flushes where you jug salt water and within 3 minutes you poop out clear liquid with some lemon bits that sting your poor bum! Lost about 13 lbs in 10 days..had headaches, was cranky and was left with a sore bottom!
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,666 Member
    Options
    I was talked into "Eating for Your Blood Type" What a crock of crap!

My B12 levels plummeted and I had to have B12 injections weekly for months.

I can NOT believe I was so gullible, as I'm a firm believer in "everything in moderation". *sigh*

I had a coworker talk me into this one. I only got as far as buying the book used off of amazon. When I read it, it told me the only meat I could eat was cornish hen... :noway: At the time I didn't know where to find that... without raising some cornish hen, lol
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    When I was a teen, my Mum and I did the "Israeli Military Diet*":

Days One - Two: Apples (black tea/coffee allowed)
    Days Three - Four: Cheese (black tea/coffee allowed)
    Days Five - Six: Chicken (black tea/coffee allowed)
    Days Seven - Eight: Salad (black tea/coffee allowed)

I had a lactose intolerance so she got me Mini-Chol, which I hated, so I basically fasted for days 3 and 4. It was hell

*which I'm certain has nothing to do with the Israeli Military at all
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    had a friend who sold Natures Sunshine products come over, look me over and tell me which gland wasn't working based on my body shape. She kept talking about my puffy hands meant I had thyroid problems and if I took these pills and drank this powder drink, the weight would melt off.

My mother in law also did this, only it was for her cholesterol. He kept saying that if she took his pills and cut out cheese and eggs she would have normal cholesterol levels.

I tried to tell her it was a bad idea, this guy is not a doctor and her cholesterol is dangerously high, so going off her doctor prescribed medication was a ridiculously bad idea. She just wouldn't hear of it. :ohwell:

Thankfully I personally haven't been involved in any diet fad, but I remember working at Zellers when those shock belts were all the rage. :noway:
  • lna_1981
    lna_1981 Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Eating 400-600 calories a day....got really thin but was sickly

eating pickles and that was it lol

bananas only

now I just try to eat normal with a splash of working out ^_^

Pickles and bananas?? Did you do it slowly, in front of people??

haha nice one there ^_^
  • crys39
    crys39 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I tried HCG.
    Eating at only 500 calories....Lol!! By day 3 I said **** it... I'm not gonna starve myself... this is torture.

Tried that Cabbage soup diet thing too.....WOFT!! To this day I still hate cabbage, lol
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school my friend came up with this brilliant diet that if you don't eat fat you will lose weight...I remember eating a lot of high carb high sugar foods and couldn't figure out why we weren't losing weight. :huh:

Since that diet didn't work I then tried the eating as little as possible diet...ugh.

ugh indeed - likewise I think we all tried that diet.

ugh ugh ugh.

:laugh:
    ugh infinity
  • Jem0714
    Jem0714 Posts: 4
    Options
    After being diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease (your thyroid is dead) and being put on thyroid medicine, the doctor scared me and told me my metabolism would always be very slow. So I did starvation for a very long time. When I say starvation I mean sometimes I wouldn't eat for up to 3 days.

I tried the paleo diet for about 2 weeks and couldn't take that.

I tried picnogenal when I was younger to lose after pregnancy weight. I don't think it worked to be honest. When I left the hospital I was within 8 pounds pre-pregnancy weight. I think nursing and being a being a new very tired mother was what did it.

But on a very serious note, I starved myself for years and just stopped when I found MFP. My headaches have gone away, I have more energy and stamina and gaining more every day.
    I thought I would gain weight but the opposite is the case. I've actually lost just about 2 lbs being here since the 8th of this month. My skin is unbelievably better I had just tipped up into the next size when I joined. I'm back into the size I was in previously. I'm on a path for the first time since 1993 of eating healthy.

I've read some horror stories of low calorie diet out there and I can, with excellent memory, tell you that it sucks. After my last child was born I was gaining about 10 pounds a month. I was nursing and running around after a very rambunctious 3 year old. I could understand it. That is when I learned about my thyroid. I had already packed on 30 pounds before I went to the doctor. I had other family issues to deal with at the timer too.
    What makes all this so hard for me to swallow my pride and admit is that I am a Registered Dietitian. I knew what I was supposed to do logically but fear took over my mind and I kept making bad choices. After so long it becomes habit. It's not healthy for the human body to consume so little calories, period. Your body goes into starvation mode. Right now my biggest problem is I look like one of those poor children you see on TV who are malnourished with the swollen stomachs. Because that is what happens when you starve yourself. I'm not trying to step on toes or scare anyone. I'm just being totally honest. It isn't fun to walk around and have people ask "When are you due?" when you can't even have children. I look nine months pregnant right now. Look up the symptoms of starvation for yourself. I was scared of putting on weight, now I am scared if I don't break this cycle and start eating right because I know what I'm doing to myself. I finally have the will and the support thanks to some awesome people I've met here to do this.

If you want to bash my post - fair warning. I don't argue. I make my statement and move on. If you have feasible questions I'll answer them.

I know everyone is different yada yada, but the human body was not meant to live on air alone. I advise ANYONE going on any diet to see their doctor and show him your plan FIRST. If he/she approves it good, then you probably have a sensible diet regime planned. Good luck to each of you on you journey to a healthier you.

Edited for errors in spelling. If I didn't get them all, so sorry.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I started smoking when I was 18 so I could lose weight. You know, like the supermodels did, except I was "smart", since I would eat food, just less, cuz the smoking makes stuff taste bad (18 year old self talking). I'm old enough that Kate Moss was still a young waif and that's what she "did", supposedly. Diet Coke (yeah right) and cigarettes for breakfast.

Dumb reason to start smoking (well, they're all dumb--smoking's dumb and deadly), I was only like 5-10lbs over what I thought was healthy (we're talking 125 vs. 135lbs on a 5'6" frame).

So the lesson here is smoking is dumb and deadly, and 18 year old girls are "idiots" about what their bodies look/should look like. True story (YMMV--there are SOME smart young adults out there).