Being vulnerable here

Ok so I have lost 100 lbs in the last two years and I was hoping now that about 5 months ago I started lifting weights my upper arms would look better. But they don't. I mean I have biceps for the first time ever and I can feel triceps but I have nasty arm flab under my arms that I cant seem to get rid of or make smaller. I have never been able to wear sleeveless shirts cause its so bad...

So my question is how in the world do I get rid of this. Granted I still have 50-60lbs I want to lose but it seems like my body is still not wanting to lose the arm, leg fat and man boobs...

So uncomfortable asking this question haha.

Replies

• The_Godwin_72
    The_Godwin_72 Posts: 102 Member
    This is the age old question- it will get better but once skin is bigger it will only get so small. Tricep work, lotion (daily) and I have seen success with compression sleeves. lots of lotion will reduced stretched skin. Look for one the firms and tightens.
  • Ratrap
    Ratrap Posts: 153
    This is the age old question- it will get better but once skin is bigger it will only get so small. Tricep work, lotion (daily) and I have seen success with compression sleeves. lots of lotion will reduced stretched skin. Look for one the firms and tightens.

You my friend are filled with knowledge thank! :)
  • The_Godwin_72
    Because I am old! Ba Ha Ha
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Unfortunately, your best bet would have been to lift from the beginning so as to minimize the loss of muscle. Now you're trying to play catch up, and with skin that doesn't always work very well.

Keep losing fat, and see what happens with more pounds gone. You might find that once the extra fat is gone, the skin won't look as bad. But some people's only option will be either accept it or have skin removal surgery.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    With 50-60lbs to lose you will also lose more of that "hang"...but that being said I notice if I am not hydrated enough it shows in my skin....

So ensure you drink lots of water, continue at a reasonable deficit...and if at your gw you are still not happy...you know what you would have to do...surgery...hopefully you won't have to resort to that.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Yes, you pretty much just have to keep at it. What kind of weight lifting are you doing?
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    I agree that strength training and patience will help. I don't really believe that lotion will help saggy body skin (but I do swear by retinol and good moisturizers for my face and neck - that's more of an aging/sun thing).
    My friends who have lost ~100lbs or more have had surgery to remove the skin. It's generally considered "cosmetic surgery" and therefore not covered by insurance. But I would wait until you've lost all that you can, have been strength training, and then see where you're at.
    No shame - your past has made you who you are today. Scars (and skin) are part of who we are.
  • Ratrap
    Ratrap Posts: 153
    Yes, you pretty much just have to keep at it. What kind of weight lifting are you doing?

I three days of weight lifting. One for arms and one for chest and back and one for legs and shoulders
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member

I three days of weight lifting. One for arms and one for chest and back and one for legs and shoulders
    Scrap that and go for an upper/lower split or a full body workout each session
  • The_Godwin_72

agreed- but add tricep 3 days- dips, tricep push ups- tricep pulls. fill loose skin with muscle!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member

I agree. A lot of people have had success with Starting Strength 5x5 ... it's available online I believe. It is a whole-body program that focuses on compound lifts so you are working multiple muscle groups at once. (IME that's better than a lot of isolation moves, because this way you're working the big muscles AND accessory muscles for better burn and more efficient workout. You can't spot reduce by doing tons of tricep work, but several of the lifts to work your triceps).

Is it the ONE way to train? no. But it's really good for what you want :wink: Congrats on your progress so far, don't give up!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

I agree. A lot of people have had success with Starting Strength 5x5 ... it's available online I believe. It is a whole-body program that focuses on compound lifts so you are working multiple muscle groups at once. (IME that's better than a lot of isolation moves, because this way you're working the big muscles AND accessory muscles for better burn and more efficient workout. You can't spot reduce by doing tons of tricep work, but several of the lifts to work your triceps).

Is it the ONE way to train? no. But it's really good for what you want :wink: Congrats on your progress so far, don't give up!

I agree @ stronglifts - you can download it for free from stronglifts website.
  • AtmaKing
    AtmaKing Posts: 145 Member

^^This

However, you have to remember building muscle and losing weight are not simultaneous. You can limit the amount of muscle you lose while losing weight by lifting and taking in proteins. Once you’re at your goal weight you can then surplus and gain muscle to help with the skin. Also lotion and proper hydration helps. Keep up the great work.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Strength training and hydration are a great start.

The harsh truth is, it may not go away. You've stretched the skin, and it can bounce back to a certain degree but, depending on your age, skin elasticity, etc., it just might not go away completely. Sometimes surgery is needed to remove the excess skin.

:(
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

I agree @ stronglifts - you can download it for free from stronglifts website.

Any good full body program SS, 5x5, Allpro, New Rules - but do it frequently. "Stick to it" matters just as much, if not more.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/the-best-training-program-eva-fur-realz-678447
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    agreed- but add tricep 3 days- dips, tricep push ups- tricep pulls. fill loose skin with muscle!

No need to do triceps 3 times a week. That could lead to over training and injury. They aren't big muscles like the quads and they aren't going to grow big enough (combined with biceps size) to fill loose skin. You also can't spot reduce fat or skin through lifting.

OP: Consistent lifting and hydration (internal and external) will be big factors. Loose skin takes time and honestly it may never get tight. The longer I stay lean the less my skin sags, but at some point the only way to get rid of it is surgery.
  • die2fat4love
    die2fat4love Posts: 149 Member
    Having lost a bit of weight I can tell you that time will help...your young and some of the skin will rebound on its own. The advice here is great to workout and try to build the definition and bulk - but I would say try not to focus on the look of the skin but be proud of how far you have come, how much you have accomplished, and that it will only get better from here.

I have worked hard to get rid of the under arm "second wave" but it is still there and it is now a badge of honor for me - Hell it could be lose fat flapping in the wind instead.