To gym or not to gym....lol...

Options
I've never really been to a gym before but when we move I'm thinking about joining one. I'm currently a stay at home mom and there is no money left for me to join but I'll be done with my classes soon and working from home to make some extra money. My goal is to make double payments on my car (so my husband isn't stressing about it anymore) and to do something for myself by joining a gym. The rest will go to savings....

What should I look for in a gym? Do the classes you take in a gym add to the cost? What are some fun and motivating classes to look into? I'm new to all of this. Also, I'm moving away from friends and family so I won't have anyone around to go on this adventure with me and to tell you the truth, I'm a little intimidated at the idea of walking into a gym....

Any advice is welcomed....thank you...

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Most gyms have classes included in the cost of a membership. Since you are new to using a gym, I suggest you focus on what kind of classes they have, since you would benefit from a structured environment than doing it on your own. Most gyms have class schedules posted online, so you can scout out the gyms near you and find which ones have classes that sound interesting and are at times that you think you can make it.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    most gym's offer a free day pass to people nterestined in joining. Its in there interest to encourage you

Try a few out and see which ones you like and feel less intimidated in
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is $10/month, so is GREAT value. But no classes... local Y's/gyms are going to be much more expensive but the classes could be nice. My personal suggestion (if you've never done anything) - do those "free trials" at a bunch of places and find what works best for you. Maybe even consider doing yoga classes + a cheap gym w/o classes?
  • roseyrose2000
    roseyrose2000 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A gym with classes is great!! I sometimes do classes and sometimes do my own thing. It really helps to have classes , cause when i dont feel like going , there is always a class i like to get me there. My gym is pretty inexpensive. I pay 25 bucks a month which is pretty good, and i can go to multiple gyms(the same one in a different town). Good luck with your move!
  • Kwauhop
    Kwauhop Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've been doing it on my own for a while and I've lost 64 pounds. I currently do the 30 day shred. I've always hated excersize but I'm finding out that I'm starting to love the feel of it all. I look forward to my workout and joining a gym I think will help to expand that time and get me to try different things. My endurance is better than ever before and steadily improving. I'll have to look into what will be in my area and the free trials were a great suggestion. I'm sure I'll find something. Yoga is something I've had in mind for a while and when I put my son into Karate this year I'm tempted to take up kickboxing.....just some random thoughts....
  • lavenderlace
    Options
    The YMCA is pretty good, I've been a member on and off for years. They sometimes charge for some of the specialty classes, but most are free. Plus most have a pool and a hot tub, which is great after a workout.

The thing that I have found out about being a sahm, is that it is hard to find time to get to the gym. Which is why my membership ended. But i have been using my husbands x-box as a workout tool. There is a new system called kinect which has no controllers to mess you up like the Wii did. There is dance routines, and fitness games. But mainly any of the games will give you quite the workout. So far I have lost 15 lbs in the last 3 months doing this daily for 30 mins. Plus it keeps the kids happy as they dance around with me.

Just wanted to throw an other option your way. :)
  • AlliDoisWin81
    Options
    Joining the gym is the best. As long as you go it can be well worth it. P90X and all these videos are good too, but going to gym is an experience that offers variety and having people around you that are also working out.

I love cardio and weight machines. Some days I want to do something different so I can try another machine out.
  • stereomad
    Options
    this maybe a little feminine for a guy of my macho status ( yeah right!!) to write but most gyms now are also a whole relaxation experience.

I mean I dont necessarily go to the gym everytime to just work out, there maybe occasions where I need to just have a little swim, sit in the jacuzzi and relax or chill out in the sauna and steam rooms.

I dont think I would not be member of a gym now after ive joined
  • Kwauhop
    Kwauhop Posts: 27
    Options
    this maybe a little feminine for a guy of my macho status ( yeah right!!) to write but most gyms now are also a whole relaxation experience.

I mean I dont necessarily go to the gym everytime to just work out, there maybe occasions where I need to just have a little swim, sit in the jacuzzi and relax or chill out in the sauna and steam rooms.

I dont think I would not be member of a gym now after ive joined

I never even thought about that....very excellent point to make.....as a stay at home mom to 2 boys relaxation is sometimes much needed....