Disappointing weigh loss

Options
I am sticking to my calorie quota, cycling like a mad person [average 20 miles 4 times a week], and I'm not really using my exercise calories. And still i am losing a paltry amount of weight - 4 lbs in 5 weeks! What am I doing wrong as I am eating way less than I used to?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    4 pounds in 5 weeks is really good progress, actually.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Aye it's a tad on the slow side. But it's still weight loss. Fact is mate the ultimate arbiter of what goes in and out of your body is not mfp it is .. barring medical conditions .. your body. If you are only losing a little that means your deficit is in fact smaller than you think. Which means eat less or move more. Take your pick. I am not trying to be cruel that's just how it is.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Given that you only have 16lb to lose, weight loss to date is great. You are not going to lose a lot of weight on a weekly basis given the low weight to be lost.

Don't let impatience be your undoing, impatience causes disappointment which sometimes leads to people giving up.

Any weight loss is good and in your case its excellent for your circumstances.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Dear baby Jesus I'd be thrilled with 4 pounds in 5 weeks. ::sigh::

When you don't have a lot of weight to lose, it doesn't come off quickly. A one pound per week loss with less than 10 pounds left is pretty awesome. It'll slow down more the closer you get to goal.

If what you're doing isn't working like you think it should be, then change what you're doing. Sometimes you need to play with calories in, calories out or your macros to get things at the optimum loss rate.
  • karenMcMillan0712
    karenMcMillan0712 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I needed to hear that-I get frustrated at the speed it comes off
  • stevieart9960
    Options
    You're most likely building muscle with that much cycling. Be patient. Aren't your clothes looser?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Yup. And you should probably eat at least some of those exercise calories or you risk burning out, loosing motivation, muscle loss, low energy, etc.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    4 pounds in 5 weeks is good. How much total do you need to lose? Bigger losses tend to come from people who have a large # to lose.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I am sticking to my calorie quota, cycling like a mad person [average 20 miles 4 times a week], and I'm not really using my exercise calories. And still i am losing a paltry amount of weight - 4 lbs in 5 weeks! What am I doing wrong as I am eating way less than I used to?

Be patient.you will get there
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Aye it's a tad on the slow side.

For someone with 50 pounds to lose, maybe. But it's fast for someone who is only 5 pounds from goal, assuming that's her final goal and not an intermediate. As I approached goal I found it helped to think of my weekly loss in terms of a percentage of the remaining excess, rather than some arbitrary number of pounds I expected to lose.
  • mommy22alyns
    mommy22alyns Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It goes soooooooo slowly at the end! Just stick to it and be patient. You'll get there!
  • veephil31
    veephil31 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You are doing great, there is no doubt about that. I would suggest changing up your exercises. If you always do the same thing, your body will get used to that and it can keep you stuck. Try to go for a jog or take an exercise class.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    You're most likely building muscle with that much cycling. Be patient. Aren't your clothes looser?

Not really possible on a calorie deficit.
  • lelyke
    lelyke Posts: 47
    Options
    Then you must be consuming a lot of food. I cycle 20 miles everyday and 40 some other days and I've been losing at 2-3 pounds / week since I started.
    You don't build muscles from cardio
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Lower your expectations