was my doctor serious?

Options
Hi guys basically my last doctor visit the doctor told me to go on a diet and eat half an apple for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and half an apple for dinner plus walk 6 miles a day. My BMI is a 26 so I am a little bit overweight but my question is this diet does not look very healthy to me. I want to know if I should follow his advice because I do not want to put my body into starvation mode at all. I have lurked on the forum for quite awhile and what the doctor said doesn't really add up to a healthy weight loss so I am very confused. Please help me.

Replies

• bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    time for a new dr. unless you are having a huge salad with lots of protein I don't see it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Are you sure they meant that is ALL you should eat or were they just suggesting you fill up a bit with some fruit and veg in addition to your other foods.
  • Glynneybug
    Glynneybug Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I agree- that sound like barely any food. Maybe call him/her and ask them to go over it with you again. If this is what the Dr. meant- that just doesn't seem right to me. But I'm no professional by any means. Good luck hon!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd question his qualifications. Does he specialize in nutrition? Doesn't sound like it. Second opinion would be wise.

While starvation mode is a myth, that is far from healthy.
  • Chibukalu908
    Chibukalu908 Posts: 212
    Options
    that does sound healthy at all to me.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    of course he's not serious...he meant "half apple BEFORE breakfast, a salad WITH lunch and half apple AFTER dinner".
    :bigsmile:
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    That doctor sounds ridiculous. I'd ask him for some serious advice, and if he says the same things, I'd find a new doctor or registered dietitian. I don't know where you live, but in Canada, every person can call a hotline and be connected to a registered dietitian.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    Doctors work in medicine not nutrition. I argue with mine all the time. He keeps pushing meds, and I keep telling him if I change my food, I'll get well. He won't listen.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Are you sure they meant that is ALL you should eat or were they just suggesting you fill up a bit with some fruit and veg in addition to your other foods.

^^^ this, because eating fruit and veg before meals has been shown in some studies to result in people eating less during the meal, and therefore getting fewer calories in a day (because the fruit/veg is less calorie dense than the same volume of food in the rest of the meal). It's a bit hit and miss though, because it doesn't guarantee you'll be eating at a deficit - counting calories is more accurate - but it does work for some people. And given that your BMI isn't that high, a tactic like this plus increased activity isn't that bad advice and likely the combination of the two will put you in a deficit (although IMO calorie counting is better).

If the doctor actually meant eat nothing but those things then get a new doctor.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Doctors work in medicine not nutrition. I argue with mine all the time. He keeps pushing meds, and I keep telling him if I change my food, I'll get well. He won't listen.

then prove to him by changing your food and getting well.
  • msrn8143
    msrn8143 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Absolutely do not follow his advice. I certainly hope he was not serious. If he was, he should be reported to the medical board and you need to find a new doctor. Any doctor will tell you 1200 calories net per day is the lowest you should go without being under direct medical supervision.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Sounds fishy to me.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Did you ask him to explain what he meant by that? Can you call him and make sure he didn't mean that was all you are supposed to eat? I would hope he was just giving an example of snack ideas, in addition to actual food.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Doctors CAN be experts in nutrition, but most aren't. If he wants you to lose for health reasons, by all means take the advice, but chose a different path to get there.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    This might be pre-mature, but I'm going to go ahead and call troll now...
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've never met a Doctor who prescribed good diet advice. I've sought advice from a few.
    You should ask to be referred to a dietician. They will be a bit clearer.

I once had a doctor who told me I should eat Fish Tomato Sauce and Frozen Veg.
    Was I supposed to eat that 3-4 times a day?
    When I asked him to explain better - he said that's all I need.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    This might be pre-mature, but I'm going to go ahead and call troll now...

^^ This

Yeah, I just received very questionable dietary advice from my doctor. So, do I ask him to elaborate, or justify his recommendations? Nah, I'll just hit up the forums and ask there!

And yes, docs may not be nutritionists, but this advice is laughable for even a layman.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    p.s. Walking 6 miles per day burns 733 calories.
    This means you have to eat an absolute minimum of 733 calories to make up for what you lost,
    or you risk starving yourself.

Who is Troll? I'm not American?
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    At the very least, get a second opinion or ask the original dr for clarification.
  • Teddy_B
    Teddy_B Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Dr. Nick Riviera from The Simpsons