How do I enter buffet in my diary?

Options
I have to go to an all you can eat lunch tomoorrow. Any tips on how to handle the data?

Replies

• Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Keep track of what you eat and log it into your diary as best you can.

Try and make healthy choices.
  • hannahweightloss18
    Options
    Just enter each individual food you have
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    If you are going to a restaurant then it may be in the data base. If not then like others have said just log the individual foods. When I go to a buffet, I eat everything I want but in moderation and usually make a salad and hit up the fruit bar.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You don't.

The posters above me suggest you try to keep track of it.. but when everything is full of oil and you don't know what the food's been seasoned with, that ain't happening. Then add desserts... cookies, cakes, ice cream, etc. Yea not happening.

Pick and choose your battles. The buffet isn't a place you stand a chance at counting calories accurately so there's no point in trying.

If tracking that meal is going to be a big concern then you shouldn't go to the buffet. Go to a restaurant that has the nutrition information available.

Personally I try to avoid buffets for that reason. But when I do go I obviously don't log anything. I eat whatever and however much I want. I don't even try to hold back; it's the buffet after all. I do hold back for the rest of the day though. If I get hungry again after the buffet then I eat very lean, which for me is either having just tuna or chicken. Then the next day I'm right back on track.

Or you can simply try to make the buffet the only meal of the day.

And speaking of buffets.. I might be going to one today.
  • vkdarling
    vkdarling Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I would try to hit the vegtables and fruit and log them the best i can without a scale...If you are eatting other food I would just log it and round up!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Be choosy.

I'd start with a fresh salad (assuming they have a salad bar at the buffet.) After you eat the salad, then go back for some of the other stuff - you'd be "fuller" so you'll be less likely to overindulge in the stuff like mashed potatoes, meats, etc. Then you can take much smaller portions and still feel satisfied. Leave enough room for a bit of dessert.

It will be impossible to track the food/calories to any degree of perfection. As the above poster said, you have no way of knowing for certain. But you can make "best guesses" by just applying what you've learned so far about portion sizes. Don't worry about adding the calories that day...just be conscious of what you've eaten ...and start over with counting the next day. :)
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I went recently and stuffed myself til I was full and it was all fine the next day lol. My plan was I made sure I drank water at the restaurant, no soft drink alcohol etc like my family were having.
    And I logged it as one of the random buffet options in the mfp database.

I also deliberately ate pretty light earlier and went for an hour walk earlier that day to make some room, and I decided to over generously overestimate and logged it as 1.5 plates. Also had Ice cream, some small squares of cheesecake which I logged again, generously, as estimates.
    Also I went for lots of meats, like the roast meat, had steamed veggies, pork bun, small scoop of scallop potato. I steered clear of the pizza, pasta and fried foods section and ensured I had small spoonfuls of some of the things like the asian food/fried rice/noodles/curry/casseroles etc, but I had a bit of everything.

Enjoy, and remember it is just one day! so don't stress too much, you can work it off :)
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    If you want to try and keep up, snap pics of your plates. It is difficult not knowing how things are prepared, but I imagine for most simple things like veggies or grilled meats you could get in the ballpark. It's the creamy sauces and casseroles that will make it more difficult.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I forget where I read it, but a fist sized portion of most foods is approximately equal to 1 cup. So, if you're ok with that margin of error in your tracking, it does help you stay in control as much as you can. Staying in control at a buffet is really the key to surviving it. One of my favorite tricks is on the first trip through fill up the plate with nothing but vegetables, choosing the one's with the least cheese and sauces. 2nd trip through: your favorite protein and one or two starchy type veggies. After two plates I usually don't have room for more. I do usually allow myself some fruit and a small softserve ice cream for dessert.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Sometimes life happens and you can't just "not" go to a buffet.

Sure, you may not know exactly how food is prepared all the time. But it is good to be mindful of what you're generally eating and what ballpark of intake you're in. One day of not knowing the calorie intake to the "T" is not going to hurt you or reverse any hard work you've done.

I say log it as best as you can, try not to overdo it, and leave a cushion of calories tomorrow to balance out any calorie difference.

Enjoy!
    You don't.

The posters above me suggest you try to keep track of it.. but when everything is full of oil and you don't know what the food's been seasoned with, that ain't happening. Then add desserts... cookies, cakes, ice cream, etc. Yea not happening.

Pick and choose your battles. The buffet isn't a place you stand a chance at counting calories accurately so there's no point in trying.

If tracking that meal is going to be a big concern then you shouldn't go to the buffet. Go to a restaurant that has the nutrition information available.

Personally I try to avoid buffets for that reason. But when I do go I obviously don't log anything. I eat whatever and however much I want. I don't even try to hold back; it's the buffet after all. I do hold back for the rest of the day though. If I get hungry again after the buffet then I eat very lean, which for me is either having just tuna or chicken. Then the next day I'm right back on track.

Or you can simply try to make the buffet the only meal of the day.

And speaking of buffets.. I might be going to one today.
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    If you're normally logging all your food with a scale, after a while you will start to get a feel for what things weigh, at least the foods that you eat most often. Im pretty sure I could rip off a 60 gram piece of baguette within 10-15% accuracy, and know that my normal boneless chicken breast is between 160 and 180 grams.

You have measuring tools at the buffet! Most salad dressing ladles, for instance, are around 1 oz/30 ml. A teaspoon is approximately a... teaspoon. Also, use things like coffee cups (around 250 ml) for reference. Good for soup or liquidy things like casserole.

If you want to log it, it could be beneficial to at least make a good guess than not to do it all.

I frequently go over 1500 calories at buffets and barbecues when i add everything up.
  • doghousedavid
    Options
    yeah, I plan on eating one big "oh-my-god' meal of multiple plates today. and nothing else. I just wondered how to record the entire thing. (and I was kinda joking.) There is no way my wife (who can eat anything and not gain) will put up with weighing food. besides it defeats the purpose of going to a party if you worry about that sort of thing. :)

I suppose it'll be fine if I just write in 12,000 kcal
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    If you want to try and keep up, snap pics of your plates. It is difficult not knowing how things are prepared, but I imagine for most simple things like veggies or grilled meats you could get in the ballpark. It's the creamy sauces and casseroles that will make it more difficult.
    What a great idea...
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Try to measure out what you eat and then find similar options in the data base and log it. Or have a free for all cheat day lol
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I just got back from Vegas. I loosely calculated my first two days just for an idea. lol 6 4000 calorie days. none the worse for wear 4 days later. just enjoy yourself get back on track tomorrow.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Eat only one plate consisting of fruits and veggies and lean meats. Very easy to burn off versus 4 plates at the buffet.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    yeah, I plan on eating one big "oh-my-god' meal of multiple plates today. and nothing else. I just wondered how to record the entire thing. (and I was kinda joking.) There is no way my wife (who can eat anything and not gain) will put up with weighing food. besides it defeats the purpose of going to a party if you worry about that sort of thing. :)

I suppose it'll be fine if I just write in 12,000 kcal
    I hope your kidding about 12,000 calories!
  • DLW3555
    DLW3555 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think he meant 1200 ... lol. I had lunch at a buffet today, and just added 900 calories. I had an avg size salad with light ranch dressing. My one plate of food was at least ⅓ steamed veggies and cooked cabbage. I only had one plate, water, and NO DESSERT! Dinner tonight was 2 cups of air popped popcorn and a sliced homegrown tomato.
  • KrzyGal
    KrzyGal Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Log as best you can! Don't NOT enter things into your diary as another comment suggested. You want to try to stick to your diet plan and that means being true to yourself and accountable for everything you eat and drink.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Quick Add - 4,000 Calories