How to stick to a diet or workout plan?

Options
Hello everyone!
I would like to know how do people stick to their diet or workout plans? I'm really having a very hard time just sticking to a diet I will do 3 weeks of it and the last week I be come so out of it. I'm very sad and disappointed in that fact that I can't finish any diet or workout. I try to keep my engagement party like a plain thing but the min we get in a fight I stop it all. I really would like some ppls "secret to this" coz i'm going to be have a very big part in December and i want to lose enough weight to look good in a dress I'm 97 kg right and I want to lose as much as possible.

Replies

• EvelineUK
    EvelineUK Posts: 97
    Options
    If 3 weeks is your usual cut-off period, try to go for 2 weeks. You can do 2 weeks. And then when you've done 2, set yourself up for another 2 weeks. You can do this!!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to stick with an exercise plan than a food plan. I love the buzz after doing exercise -whether it's a walk in the sunshine, communing with nature, or a hard out session at the gym. I find that if I concentrate on exercise then healthy eating naturally follows.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I think when you realize you have to eat different not just for a short time but for the rest of your life. You have to be willing to do the work. I think with me I realized it is a different way to live, I use to eat so much junk food and way too much of it. I now tell myself I have to take care of me and a long the way have learned some self control. With the support here and learning so much about nutrition has helped so much. I love MFP.
  • kkadkins15
    kkadkins15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it "sticking' to a diet, I look at it as a life style modification plan. If I go off for a few days, I just jump right back on. I also don't deprive myself of something I want..I usually set one day aside during the week that I can have anything I am craving, within moderation of course! This helps me to stay on my food track. As for the workout, I have a walking buddy at work who motivates me and its much more fun to have someone to talk to while doing laps. It also helps that our building I work in has a gym so I don't have to pay for a membership and the complex I live in also has a nice gym.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    The diet part - I find that hard because I truly love food, and have some discipline issues when tired/stressed.

The exercise - I have no problem there because I love it, and even at my least motivated I can still conjure the idea of competing to my level of expectation. I think the key there is that I found an activity I really like. I have "fallen off" the enchantment of other sports but I truly enjoy what I do now. Even in the cold, wet, and snow.!
  • jollyhrothgar
    jollyhrothgar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! You've already set a goal for yourself! That's the first step. You're also tracking yourself with myfitnesspal. That is another excellent step!! (Is your diary public? If not, make it so! You'll be accountable!). Both show that you're willing to commit to the hard work that losing weight, and changing your attitude about food.

Losing weight by counting calories can be really frustrating, because at first, you will be hungry, likely, because you're eating less than you're used to. This part gets better with time.

I suggest that you try to set a realistic short term weight-loss goal, and then weigh and record your weight every day. Be sure to weigh yourself at the same time every day under the same conditions. Your weight will fluctuate on a day-to-day basis, so the only way you'll be able to track your progress is if you weigh yourself each day and record the trend. Set your weight loss goal to something reasonable, to give yourself time to adjust to your new diet. Maybe 1 lb per week.

Set your activity level on MFP to "sedentary". Even if you think you're active. Set it to sedentary. Track and record your exercise. This lets you know how much more you can eat, after a workout, or physical activities. Be honest with yourself.

Exercise every day. Make a habit of it. Even if its small, it adds up. Also, allow yourself a cheat day if you need it - just track your calories. Don't ever stop tracking your calories or tracking your exercise - do it until it feels normal and not "a pain".

The key to losing a lot of weight is to be consistent with your changed lifestyle. Remember that your weight is where it is now, because of how you've been structuring your life. You need permanent changes to your life that don't have to be big - but they have to be permanent. Like, walking instead of driving. Going to the gym once a day. Making sensible choices when you eat. Deciding that you don't have to eat until you're stuffed - just full. Eating slowly. Drinking more water. Eventually, you'll feel energized and happy with these changes.

There is not a "big secret". Just a ton of small changes. When you eat food - what kinds of food do you eat? What makes you feel full for longer? What food "wears off" quickly?

This journey you're about to begin is all about getting to know (and love) your body. It takes time, and can be frustrating. Try to identify your 'habit loops'. What makes you hungry? What situations are you likely to over eat or eat the wrong foods? Identify the trigger, than substitute new healthier habits.

Keep doing what you're doing - tracking your weight every day, tracking your food every day. See if you lose weight. If you don't after a couple of weeks, you may need to make an adjustment.

Best of luck, feel free to contact me any time.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The answer is in your question: "the min we get in a fight I stop it all." Without knowing all the particulars, you're either trying to punish yourself or the person you're fighting with by self-sabotaging and going off your plan. This isn't about the plan, the diet, or the workout. It's completely about whatever emotional rollercoaster you're riding. By your actions, you are showing that this emotional need is stronger than your desire to lose the weight. You need to either: 1) Figure out what your priorities *really* are because losing weight is clearly playing second fiddle to your emotions right now, 2) figure out a way to smooth out that rollercoaster ride, or 3) get off the ride completely.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    You have to want the results enough.

You have to be fed up with the way things are, and be fed up to the point where you are ready to really make the change.

It's taken me nearly 11 years to get to that point...11 years since I realized I was obese. I've putzed around off and on with diets, with juicing, with weight watchers, with jenny craig (yuck). The only one that really worked was Weight Watchers but I realized that I didn't want to spend all that money every week just to go to a rah rah meeting. Yes their points system is fairly easy but so is this...way easier...

Plus I want to be HEALTHY. I am afraid of a lot of the food we eat. Since I've converted to a more healthful eating style (more veggies and fruits, very little processed foods, etc.) I have felt better and not had IBS like I've been prone to. TMI? Sorry...lol

All that to say you have to WANT it. I have a bike and I love riding it and I long to be able to ride long rides and not fear the hills or the passers by. I have ridden my bike more in the past few weeks than I have the last 30 years of my life and it feels great!! I love love love it. Since I love it so much, I want to be able to continue doing it. Can't do it if I'm obese.
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Many excellent replies. Since not every person is the same I'll add to the mix.
    Since my weight loss goal was so large I chose not to do a "diet". I went with lifestyle change as one poster mentioned. I picked one thing not so healthy and subsituted it with a healthier choice. When I felt I could handle another change, I chose another thing and subsituted.
    The list is long now but I started with just one change. Examples would be I don't drink sweet tea, instead water with lemon. I swapped International coffee for herbal tea. I swapped Splenda for Truvia (I eventually plan to go to no sugar subsitute). One hour tv a week swapped for one hour exercise initially ( now it's three hours). I swapped high glycemic veggies to low glycemic. Milk to almond milk. Fried foods to grill or baked. Butter to Olive oil.
    I only made one change at a time, to avoid getting overwhelmed.

It's just a matter of picking a habit and subsituting it for a better habit. I even use the same swap if I am going to cheat. If I just had to have a dessert, I would ask myself which of the choices would be the better.

If a particular subsitution doesn't work, move on to the next . . . don't give up. I struggled greatly with sweet tea. With others it might be coke or coffee. Make choices that work for you.