Women and Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It seems like women fetishize food more than men. cholocate. icecream. cheesecake. I know more men than women who are ambivalent towards food. are women more often "supertasters"? The women in my family refuse to eat anything that isnt delicious. Im happy with oatmeal cooked in tapwater without any sugar or spices. genes? stereotypes? *discuss*.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    No sympathy at all for the plight of the woman, even from the few women that responded :noway:
    Kind of figured this is how MFP would respond :tongue:
    Sympathy won't help you lose weight. There's no point in patting you on the back and saying "there there".

Honesty might put you on the right path however.
  • MarliQQ
    MarliQQ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Which plight?

Basically what the following quote beautifully points out, even those she clearly is on team "Get over it!". You can get from that statement that it actually is harder for women, but we just need to stick it out. Just curious, what do men think they deal with that is comparable to the internal "going ons" of a woman? Thinking about sex while in the middle of a rep and falling out of the "zone" :smile:?
    Our calorie requirements and body composition is different but the principle is the same, maintain a deficit to lose weight.

Pregnancy takes its toll on the body but it can and will recover.
    TOM causes increased appetite and temporary water weight gain but this can be managed.

The big difference is emotional eating, deal with that and you'll lose weight like a man.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Just curious, what do men think they deal with that is comparable to the internal "going ons" of a woman?

Women. We deal with women. Need I say more?
  • KrazyDaizy
    KrazyDaizy Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Just curious, what do men think they deal with that is comparable to the internal "going ons" of a woman?

Women. We deal with women. Need I say more?
    IEsnL-1_zps2fa96f32.gif
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am team get over it. Quit the excuses and do the work.

It is not harder for women to lose weight.

Having a baby 5 years ago is not an excuse for not being able to lose the weight now.
    Any fluctuation during TOM is temporary and not a true indication of your weight loss AND if you weigh yourself during shark week you deserve the tissue party it will spark.
    Feeding your emotions with food is something you need to work out and and is not exclusive to women.
    Men also experience hormone fluctuations (gasp!).

thank you have some RDJ and have a nice day.

646.gif
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    But it is easier for men to lose weight, right?

"In summary, sedentary 24EE is approximately 5-10% lower in females compared with males after adjusting for differences in body composition, age, and activity."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1522233

So given a man and woman of the same age, weight, body fat %, and activity level, the man can consume 5 - 10% more calories.

So 100 to 200 more calories? Not surprised. My husband and I are the same height and weight and even though he's lower body fat percentage he doesn't eat much more than me unless he's more active.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Which plight?

Basically what the following quote beautifully points out, even those she clearly is on team "Get over it!". You can get from that statement that it actually is harder for women, but we just need to stick it out. Just curious, what do men think they deal with that is comparable to the internal "going ons" of a woman? Thinking about sex while in the middle of a rep and falling out of the "zone" :smile:?
    Our calorie requirements and body composition is different but the principle is the same, maintain a deficit to lose weight.

Pregnancy takes its toll on the body but it can and will recover.
    TOM causes increased appetite and temporary water weight gain but this can be managed.

The big difference is emotional eating, deal with that and you'll lose weight like a man.

Pregnancy is temporary. Not an excuse 5 years later.
    TOM is water weight. Again, temporary.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I have sympathy for the plight of women, as am one. I have experienced the plight of hormone fluctuations and imbalances for a couple of years, and it makes it extremely difficult to lose weight. No matter what some posters here say, it's not always calories in vs calories out. It's way more complicated than that for some. I'm living it. Feel free to msg me to discuss further.

So you believe that homones cause you to mysteriously absorb additional calories from food? Interesting.

Hormones can control whether it is fat or muscle that is burned to equalize a calorie deficit, but it cannot stop you from losing weight.

That would be like saying men who have low T levels cannot lose weight.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm on Team Get Over It as well. It uses less muscle groups to whinge than it does to get off your bum and go for a walk.

For the record my husband finds it harder to lose weight than me because he has no will power when it comes to snacking.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am team get over it. Quit the excuses and do the work.

It is not harder for women to lose weight.

Having a baby 5 years ago is not an excuse for not being able to lose the weight now.
    Any fluctuation during TOM is temporary and not a true indication of your weight loss AND if you weigh yourself during shark week you deserve the tissue party it will spark.
    Feeding your emotions with food is something you need to work out and and is not exclusive to women.
    Men also experience hormone fluctuations (gasp!).

thank you have some RDJ and have a nice day.

646.gif

tumblr_luoxltKH9w1r6aoq4o1_500.gif
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Do you want a medal, OP? What's the point? Pretend you get all men to say, "Yeah, it's harder for the fairer sex." What good does that possibly do you? Will you start losing weight faster or in a more healthy manner if you get the male side of our species to "admit" to it?

Consider me firmly on team Get the F Over It!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking women are not as athletic as men. Sure sure. Some of you are more athletic than some men but I mean as a whole. You don't see any women in the NFL, NBA, and women can't compete with men in track events. What you can take away form this is that men generally have more muscle mass, they weigh more, and they're going to have a slightly easier time losing weight due to higher calorie demand.

Overall, women have no excuse other than the fact that they're eating more calories than they need. Sure it sucks that you can't consume 2,500 not gain a pound while many men can do just this. That's not unfairness it's just nature. Larger animals need more nutrition. The big kicker is that most meals tend to be tailored towards men. That is the serving sizes are large enough for anyone, for obvious marketing reasons, which means that practically every single thing on the menu is going to be too much food for most women.

From my observations half of the women seem to think that they should eat the same thing their significant other does. "Who wants some apple pie?" always ends up with everyone getting an equal slice. I just encountered this yesterday. I had a beer, my friend had one and when I grabbed a second she said "You just had one". My reply was "Sure, but one beer to me is equivalent to you having half a beer. Remember, you're 5'0" and I'm 6'2". If you want to weigh 220 lbs. then keep up with me." I literally weigh twice as much as she does still that perception that she should match my intake seems to take hold.

Show me a woman that eat's a smaller steak, eats less of the fried onion appetizers, and has less of the dessert and I'll show you woman that can lose weight the same as men.

Men!
    You sound like my husband. He even thinks he deserves more than half the bed because he is bigger. :grumble:

Seriously, I'm on Team Get Over It.
    I don't see how TOM, or boobs or whatever else makes it harder for us. As already mentioned, TOM weight gain is temporary.
    We need to follow the same basic principles. I don't begrudge women who can eat at a higher calorie level than me, why would I do so for men?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Women do have a more difficult time losing weight than men. Whether you like it or not, it's not a myth.

Women who have endocrine disorders like diabetes, insulin resistance, hypothyroidism, and hormonal imbalances have a much harder time losing weight than women who don't. It's not a BS excuse, it's reality. And it's a reality for many women. Does it mean they can't lose weight? Absolutely not. It just makes it more challenging.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Women do have a more difficult time losing weight than men. Whether you like it or not, it's not a myth.

Women who have endocrine disorders like diabetes, insulin resistance, hypothyroidism, and hormonal imbalances have a much harder time losing weight than women who don't. It's not a BS excuse, it's reality. And it's a reality for many women. Does it mean they can't lose weight? Absolutely not. It just makes it more challenging.

It's difficult for both genders to lose weight. Quantifying 'ease' is practically impossible. It's hard work and requires dedication, something that all people can have a hard time with.

Also, no one is disputing that certain medical conditions make weight loss more difficult. It wasn't even part of the discussion.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Are those all limited to women?

I don't think anyone is disputing women who have medical issue may have a harder time losing than those who don't.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

But do women with those issues have harder times than men with those issues?

Because I'm pretty sure that would be the proper comparison in this situation.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Are those all limited to women?

I don't think anyone is disputing women who have medical issue may have a harder time losing than those who don't.

Same goes for men with those conditions.
  • WildcatDeLalune
    WildcatDeLalune Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say... Love the gif, Krazy Daizy. Haha!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Calorie partioning does play a role. But whatever. CICO.