people that weigh monthly??

Options
XLMACX
XLMACX Posts: 346 Member
Hi everyone,

Lately I have got too obsessed with the scale 2-3 times a day it's all I think about my mood goes by the scale and it's making me down. I have a obsessive behaviour with diets in general and have done for 4 years I'm back to the doctors next week to try and get this sorted!

I have been thinking of maybe doing a monthly weigh in I'm just so scared I don't know why it sounds silly but in my head I think if I don't weigh daily I won't do as well!
The thing that I keep failing at is I sometimes may Go over few 100 calories I freak out then binge because I feel I have messed everything up and failed and then try cut back to compensate so scale goes back down for my Saturday weigh in, I just think maybe if I do monthly I won't be as obsessed and if I do go over a little one week because I'm not getting weighed say for another 3 weeks I will relax more and continue eating normally after.

In the past I once didn't weigh myself for a whole month and just ate healthy and maintained but had never done my fitness pal or counting cals then.. I have 1stone my to target and ideally want to get there for my holiday in October so to me deciding on doing this if it goes wrong only sets me a month behind :/ sorry to waffle on, ,

What are people's experiences from doing monthly weigh in anyone been obsessed and it has helped???

Thanks

Replies

• Dozer561
    Dozer561 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i couldnt wait monthly, i only pay attention to weekly, but i do look at it daily, just for giggles to see how sodium and diet effect daily fluctuations. just ignore those numbers unless you are gaining weekly, or not making progress..
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but I don't have hang-ups about it so it is difficult for me to relate and therefore difficult to comment. Sounds like you've identified a problem though, that you have obsessive behavior that leads to depression and binging...so yeah, sounds like you should stop doing that thing that triggers that. Easier said than done I imagine but hard to know what to suggest. Your ability to lose weight is not at all dependent on how often you stand on your scale though.
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly, sometimes fortnightly but generally weekly. It does mess with my head a bit. I thought I had done really well with staying within my calories this week but I didn't lose anything (didn't gain though) so today It's hard for me to not just go "ah well counting didn't help so I'll just binge" I have to keep reminding myself that binging won't help and I just need to give it more time. And that what you need to do!

It won't matter how often you weigh if you're having these "i've messed it all up so I'll just give up now" thoughts. Work on trying to realise that if you've gone over a little it's better than going over a lot and just pick yourself up and move on. If you think weighing yourself monthly will help with that then go for it.

Personally if I only weighed myself once a month I'd probably eat like crap the first two weeks thinking I had time to make up for it hahaha but whatever works for you!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm so daily! A month would kill!
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I used to be obsessed with the scale and the small fluctuations really got me down and triggered binges. Now I just weigh when I feel like I have lost weight. It is usually every 2-4 weeks and it is always first thing in the morning on a day I don't feel bloated from salt or activity. If it helps, put the scale away out of sight. Relying on measurements may be a better option for you if you are becoming stressed over the scale.
  • XLMACX
    Options
    thanks for all your replies :) i feel a little better today im going to decide on this Saturday as this been my usual weigh day and also the week before my monthly so seems the best time to start if im going too! For me I think a monthly WI would make me be more strict for some reason scared to mess up because a month is a long time to waste in terms of weight loss…I shall see any how 
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    As you recognise, progress is about what you eat and if your weighing affects that then its not helping you to progress.

Personally I consider progress in other ways; clothes fit, running performance etc so wouldn't even claim to weigh monthly.

The observation that I'd make is that going from obsessive daily to monthly seems quite a leap. If you think you can deal with not knowing for four weeks at a time then go for it. If there's a risk that you end up weighing in an unstructured way to "just check" then that doesn't strike me as helpful so you may need a shorter period.
  • XLMACX
    Options
    i just think monthly would just take pressure off myself I know I will still be good If I do a monthly WI becuase gaining weight petrifies me lol..... if i have a bad day food wise or weekend when when im weighing daily and my day were i note my results down is looming close If the ccales dont look like its going to be a loss i know I can pull it back and eat less to make me lose 1lb.... but if I do monthly weigh in then I daren’t do the have a bad day in first place because I don’t know if I have gained and if I can pull it back because im not seeing the scales go up ect

some people may think it sounds backward but i just think i may be more relaxed but like i said it is scary stuff lol to me i always feel the only reson people feel like there on a diet is becuase they weigh themselves (thats how i feel) i can eat healthy with odd treat and lose weight but becuase im weighing thats what makes me feel im on a diet
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I weigh every 4 weeks sometimes 6 weeks and ive seen every weigh in ive lost for me this works as I weigh on the same cycle day at same time of day so if changes occur due to my monthly cycle it is the same every month and I also take picture at same time
  • XLMACX
    Options
    what made you decide to weigh monthly and wasnt you nervous about doing so?? i really want to give it a try just thought scares me a little but i have been using MFP for around 4 months now and i know how many calories my body loses on and i have a routines set in place a little calorie cycling which works good.x