Need squat help/advice

Options
I have only learned how to do body weight squat properly in the last 2 to 3 weeks. I have been practicing about 4 to 5 days a week and my form has gotten pretty good. I for the love of me lose all form when I try to do goblet squats and am even worse if I try to do any with a light barbell. II either start leaning forward or I can't come down to make a difference. So do I just need to keep doing BW squats? Practice glute and lower back exercises? if so how many for how long? Anyone else start out like this? How did you progress? I have watched a million youtube videos from Mark Ripptoe to Elliot Hulse. I'm 5'8 and 197. I carry a lot in my mid section and sometimes feel like my middle hinders me. Any advice would help.

Replies

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Probably best to take a video of your form and post them, it is very hard to analyze from the information you gave.

Width of stance?
    High bar/Low bar?

Could go on forever so get a video and we can give better advice.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    at one point in my squat life i had a very large belly and what helped was to widen my stance to allow for belly at the down position.

if you work a desk job or sit a lot then maybe you have some mobility issues that will hinder you going to post parallel. ankle, hip, hamstrings can be an issue. if this is an issue, then just keep working at the squats and make sure to work on your flexibility

bar placement will definitely make a difference. low bar requires more forward lean.

also what's your neck position when you're squatting? trying to watch yourself in the mirror will also result in some form issues
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I find that i have to remember to push my rear out first then lower into squat. With the goblet i dont have a problem but when i get under the bar i have the tendency to just bend at knees and lower and it feels off and i cant get as low, then i push out first and it comes together. I also am alittle wider stance with toes slightly turned out. Im a work in progress and just recently switched from 35 lb dumbell to the bar empty and now with 30 lbs added and its getting easier. A mirror helps too
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of trouble when I first started squats, similar to what you're dealing with, and for me the problem was that I was very 'quad dominant'... meaning I used my quads and never my hamstrings. Adding even a little weight to this threw everything off kilter and I just couldn't do anything but body weight! I "fixed" this problem by doing Stiff-Legged Deadlifts. I did those for a good solid month before I tried adding weight again to the squats. It made a big difference.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I use a more narrow, toes straight forward stance with bodyweight squats. I use a wider-than-hip-width stance with toes pointing slightly out when doing barbell back squats. I have to use a more sumo or plie-type squat (wide stance, toes out) with goblet squats to keep my balance.

In my experience, they are three slightly different exercises and you may need to adjust your form for each one.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    When I started doing squats with a dumbbell it was so difficult. I could only do 3, and I could barely get up with them. The next time I tried, I barely did five lol. I just kept doing them and really tried to maintain my form.. Two or three weeks later I have weights on my barbell with proper form :)

I know it's not good advice to continue with poor form, but that was the only way I was going to be able to progress with the barbell. I was just very careful and paid close attention
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Welcome2theHellmouth Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the advice! I'm going to keep practicing! I tried to do facing wall squats last night and am horrible so I need to work more on my form just doing bw squats. I haven't even decided yet which will be better for me low or high bar. Once I get further I will post a video for further advice. Thanks again!!! :)
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    when it comes to squatting there is no 'one size fits all' posture. Everyone has a different hip anatomy (ie. the plane and angle at which the femur attaches to the pelvis socket). Some people squat narrow, some wide and some in-between. You have to figure out what position at the bottom is most comfortable for you (i.e. your hamstrings touching your calves). Once you figure that out, the rest is your technique to get you there from a standing position and back up. That takes practice, preferably coaching and is beyond the scope of any advice anyone can provide you in a forum post.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    A trainer told me that the amount of forward lean you have is dependent upon your flexibility. She told me it was more important to keep a strong core and focus on the muscles I'm trying to work. She recommended a slightly wider stance and when you do the movement focus on trying to "push" out with your inner thighs. Also remember to push your butt out first.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    when it comes to squatting there is no 'one size fits all' posture. Everyone has a different hip anatomy (ie. the plane and angle at which the femur attaches to the pelvis socket). Some people squat narrow, some wide and some in-between. You have to figure out what position at the bottom is most comfortable for you (i.e. your hamstrings touching your calves). Once you figure that out, the rest is your technique to get you there from a standing position and back up. That takes practice, preferably coaching and is beyond the scope of any advice anyone can provide you in a forum post.

I would like to add on top of that- you have to factor in (with barbell squatting) low bar vs high bar- this will impact your squat.

So for me to tell someone to just sit straight down and keep the torso up right- it won't be right if they prefer low bar squatting.

Gotta figure that out as well.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I coach a youth powerlifting team and this is the progression that I use to teach people how to squat who don't get it right away.

1: Bodyweight squats
    2: Squats w/ a broom handle across your back
    3: Overhead squats with a broom handle
    4: Squats w/ a broom handle across your back standing 6" away from a wall, facing the wall
    5: Squats w/ just the barbell across your back
    6: Squats w/ just the barbell across your back 6" away from a wall, facing the wall
    7: Begin adding weight to squats (5lbs per training session)

I have had lifters who went through this entire progression in 1 or 2 training sessions and I have also had lifters who took 6+ weeks to go through this progression so don't be afraid to go slow. It's better to go too slow than it is to go too fast. Don't move onto the next step until you have MASTERED the step before it.