Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Calories

So somewhere along the way, I heard that whatever calories you burn that you need to re eat them and stay as close to your calorie goal for the day as possible. I am confused by this, isn't the point to burn the calories? If you eat them back how are you supposed to lose weight?

Replies

• Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    You are correct. MFP already has your calorie deficit worked out. It gives you the amount of calories you should eat to Lose weight. That is without any exercising at all. So when you do exercise you should eat back your exercise calories so you do not deprive your body :)
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    I disagree with this. I try to aim for 1200 calories no matter what. When I factor in my exercise, I still have eaten 1200, but I have burned x number of calories. As long as I am taking in 1200, then I have eaten enough to sustain me while I am losing weight.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    I disagree with this. I try to aim for 1200 calories no matter what. When I factor in my exercise, I still have eaten 1200, but I have burned x number of calories. As long as I am taking in 1200, then I have eaten enough to sustain me while I am losing weight.

That may be your personal choice and that is up to you, you know your body :) That is not how MFP is designed though. it is set up so that it calculates the deficit before exercise. Unless your doing TDEE or whatever I don't know so much about that :) I am supposed to eat 1200 calories a day. I eat that and then when I exercise I aim to eat back at least 1/2 of my exercise calories so far that is working for me and my body :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

1200 calories provides enough nutrition for women (really only those on the shorter end of the spectrum). It's about 600-800 below the minimum guidelines for men.
  • lrbassmom
    lrbassmom Posts: 123
    See, I've been wondering kind of the same thing... I've recently changed my diet to a semi-paleo diet... no processed foods (or very little processing). Nothing out of a box, good lean proteins, tons of veggies, fruits, no regular bread- only gluten free, and here's the biggie.... NO BEER! (Beer is my kryptonite) Basically, eating very clean.

So I haven't been hungry at all, I'm eating when I'm hungry, and feel good. But, my calories have been hovering around 1100-1300. There have been a couple of days when I haven't made it to 1000. I'm working out 5 days a week, weights, treadmill/elliptical, & swimming. I'm a little worried about dropping my metabolism.

But, if my body wasn't getting enough nutrition/calories... I'd feel like crap, wouldn't I?

On the weekends I'm allowing myself a little more leeway. A glass or two of wine, hard cider, a meal without counting every calorie... that sort of thing.

It's just that I'm FINALLY losing weight after trying everything in the world, and I don't want to screw it up or jinx myself.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member

I personally would not recommend this method. It wouldn't be sustainable for most people. 1200 calories as a net isn't sustainable for me as it is (I upped mine to 1350), and I eat back my exercise calories. It gives me motivation to workout and a reward for a job well done. Plus a few days of the week I burn over 1000 calories because I'll do 2-3 classes, strength training, and or cardio. Having 200 calories net would not be good!!