Brussels Sprouts

Options
anharrison
anharrison Posts: 74 Member
I have a few pounds of brussels sprouts I need to get used up before they go bad. I've read that roasting them with a little olive oil and a garlic clove makes them yummy. Any other good, healthy brussels sprouts recipes? (I'm not fond of the bitter taste they can have.)

Replies

• mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I like them boiled with a *tiny* bit of butter. Emphasis on the tiny. Not just for healthy reasons, but because if you put too much on them, they get greasy and taste just like you're eating butter. Lol.
  • lulumomma
    Options
    I like to keep it really simple. I steam them and serve with a squeeze of lemon and a dash of garlic salt. Beware, though, they will cause some gas and bloating.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    not what you want to hear but they are pretty amazing wrapped in bacon and roasted hahahaha
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    my fave is to trim and cut them in half, par boil them ( i do it in the microwave til fork tender)
    meanwhile cook up some bacon (can do turkey bacon but not quite as yumptious) and onions.
    toss in cooked drained sprouts into the pan with bacon onion, season and enjoy
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I slice them up and drizzle balsamic vinegar over them to coat, and then roast them with a bit of steak spice!! Mmmm....
  • anharrison
    anharrison Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. Yes, growing up my mom always threw them in a skillet with chopped onions and bacon crumbles-my fav. But, I'm trying for a healthier option (sigh).
  • dmmarie21
    dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I agree with the bacon haha. Actually, before I started this, there was an awesome recipe I tried where you basically cooked a few slices of bacon, and halved them and sauted them in the grease. It was wonderful (it had other things in it), but, I'm sure it was terrible for me. I have usually been steaming them or roasting them in the oven (cut side down) tossed with some olive oil and sea salt.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    ROAST THEM.

they naturally caramelize in the olive oil and so they're naturally sweet.

boiled/steamed b-sprouts are just mushy balls of nastiness :sick:
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I posted this recipe a few weeks ago. The brussel sprouts were so yummy and the nutrition info is included at the bottom!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/146537-pepper-jack-chicken-with-bacon-cranberry-brussel-sprouts?hl=cranberry+brussel+sprouts#posts-2008197
  • Barbaloo
    Barbaloo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    after you saute or roast them with garlic then toss them with 1 teaspoon orange marmalde
  • looktouch
    Options
    They go great with bacon (you can crumble it up with them-- a little goes a long way) or toasted walnuts (not great calorically but good for omega 3s) and some salt and pepper. cut them in half and put them in the oven (don't boil them).

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-bacon-recipe/index.html

Here is a less-bad-for-you recipe. Lemon juice and salt and pepper are one of brussel sprouts' natural combos:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/brussels_sprouts/

key combo materials: bacon, nuts, citric acid (i think oranges would work), salt and pepper. & don't boil them and don't cut them up too small-- keeping halves or whole brussel sprouts keeps the crunchiness.

(I have some leftover chickpeas so I'm going to try this: http://www.farmgirlfare.com/2009/11/recipe-quick-roasted-brussels-sprouts.html)
  • lonnalewis
    Options
    Cut then in half on saute them in olive oil with shallots and garlic then add chicken stock about 1/4 cup. Bring to a boil until they are tender and serve.
  • snobuny032
    Options
    This is my favorite way to make sprouts....
    Place 1 pound of sprouts and 1 cup dry white wine in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cover and cook until tender, about 7 minutes
    remove from pan add 1 tsp butter and reduce liquid to a glaze, Pour over sprouts.
    Happy Eating!