General Tso Chicken

Options
Healthyby30
Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
I forgot where I originally got this recipe, I changed it a little. It's really good and the slurry (cornstarch and eggs) for the chicken can be used in any chinese dish.

2 lbs Boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/2 cup cornstarch
3 large eggs
Cayenne pepper - to taste
6 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

3 Tbsp cornstarch
9 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
3/4 cup Stevia cup for cup
1 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
3/4 cup white wine
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 cups chopped, steamed broccoli
Red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to taste

Green onions, chopped 2 stalks

Trim fat off edges of chicken and cut into 1" cubes. I use kitchen shears, its much easier than a knife when the chicken is thawed.

In a large bowl, beat eggs and add 1/2 cup cornstarch. I also add about a tsp of cayenne pepper, use it to taste. Combine well. Add chicken and toss to coat.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 Tbsp oil, add about half the chicken and cook until chicken is a nice golden brown and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan, place on paper towel and cook the rest. Remove that from pan as well and place on paper towel.

Mix together 3 Tbsp cornstarch, rice vinegar, stevia, soy sauce, wine, and cayenne pepper. I used about 2 tsp, but do it to taste, can add more later if you need.

Add 2 more Tbsp oil to skillet and add garlic and broccoli, saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Add chicken back to pan and cook for another few minutes until chicken is crisp brown. Add sauce in and let reduce until a glaze, about 1-2 minutes. Remember, this is supposed to be a thicker sauce..you can always reduce cornstarch if you want it a bit thinner.

Top with green onions for a little flavor and color if desired!

Makes about 12 servings

Per Serving
Calories 225, Carbs 11, Fat 10, Protein 19, Fiber 1, Sodium 911

Low in calories but high in sodium! If you have it, you can use Bragg's Amino Acids instead of soy sauce, I don't have any on hand.

Also, don't be afraid to adjust stevia and soy sauce to your liking. If its too salty, reduce soy sauce..too sweet reduce stevia, and add a little more if needed!

As always, recipe is on my blog!

Replies

• whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    That sounds awesome. Thanks!!
  • misty_68505
    Options
    Sounds delicious, I'll have to try this one. Thanks for sharing! :)
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I agree! Definitely sounds delish! I'm looking for a semi healthy recipe for Char Siew (Chinese Roast/BBQ Pork). I would likely use pork belly, or pork shoulder, but I suppose tenderloin would be the healthiest.
  • StoneColdLiger
    StoneColdLiger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You know, I was just looking up recipe's for this yesterday. I was craving some Chinese but felt like trying to make it on my own. Then I saw the calories. =/ I think I'll have to try this. Thanks for sharing!
  • PennyLyn
    PennyLyn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sunnyand71
    sunnyand71 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This sounds great!