Questions about calories and fat. And bananas.

Options
These have probably come up before but forgive me, I'm new.

I know saturated fat is the bad one, so what is the position on, for instance, tinned mackerel? It seems high in fat, especially the olive oil variety, but not too high in saturated fat. Does that mean I can gorge myself on it? Food that has a high unsaturated fat content - what's the deal?

What about something that has NO fat, but a few calories, eg a large banana - 125 cals, no fat according to our database. Can I eat them till they're coming out of my ears, or do I have to watch the calories, even in fat-free food? Why?

Thanks in advance.

BJ

Replies

• aprilshowers13
    Options

I know saturated fat is the bad one, so what is the position on, for instance, tinned mackerel? It seems high in fat, especially the olive oil variety, but not too high in saturated fat. Does that mean I can gorge myself on it? Food that has a high unsaturated fat content - what's the deal?

What about something that has NO fat, but a few calories, eg a large banana - 125 cals, no fat according to our database. Can I eat them till they're coming out of my ears, or do I have to watch the calories, even in fat-free food? Why?

Thanks in advance.

BJ

You need to watch the calories in all of your food. How much is the fat in the mackerel?
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Yes you can eat mono unsaturated fats but not gorge on it. It's a good fat that burn bad fat but you still can't go crazy. Fruit is good but to much is not. It still has sugar that spikes your insulin levels which promotes fat storage. I never eat fruit after 2pm so I burn it off.
    You need to do some research on nutrition and just read, read and read. You'll learn as you go. It's an awesome world that few know little about including me but I've learned a lot over the last few years and am still learning.
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    every single item or food has calories and calories are what matter when it comes to losing weight. you can't just eat whatever you want as long as it doesn't have fat. oh, and you need fat in your diet to keep your body healthy. it is 100% necessary.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I think the main idea of losing weight is a life long change in the way we eat, in addition to what we eat. So while its better to eat more of foods that have low fat or are fat free, it still has plenty of calories so portion control should be exercised regardless of what you eat.
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options

Thanks in advance.

BJ
    It is about balance (and discipline) with respect to food. You have to keep an eye on the calories and fat. Other than water there is nothing you can "pig out on", but I would pick bananas (fruit in general) over tinned mackerel (any high fat food) any time.

Most of the time it is about small steps / changes each week to allow you to quit the food addiction (ie to fatty / salty / sugary) foods. I found it took 3 weeks to break each of my bad eating habits.
  • NuclearGirl
    Options
    I agree with kimwig! :wink:
  • acfueler
    Options
    Not an expert just going by what I have researched, if you have to eat canned fish, don't eat anything with oil, the fat content and sodium are outrageous as well as the mercury, you shouldn't eat any more than three cans a week, although I eat way more for the protein, if you are pregnant or nursing don't eat any.
    You can eat as many fresh fruits and vegetables that you want, bananas may have an effect on your colon, I uasually include them in my steel cut oatmeal in the morning.
    Just remember these basic rules; it takes approximately 3500 calories to burn one pound of fat, too much of anything is not good and if it wasn't around 1000 years ago don't eat it!:noway: .
    Good luck!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    well, 3500 calories equals 1 pound of fat, this is why you need to watch your cals!!! I think it is something like 9 calories per gram of fat
  • acfueler
    Options
    Thanks Loathesome
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Thanks Loathesome

for repeating you? no sweat! totalyl didn't see your post ;)
  • acfueler
    Options
    No for adding the 9 calories per gram of fat, puts it in perspective a little better, sometimes the 3500 calorie per pound of fat intimidates people, I also agree with laddyboy, there is so much to read out there and sometimes people don't want to share what they have learned, especially on body building message boards, it's good to share experiences so that maybe we all will stay motivated and meet our goals, I think that is the key......Motivation in any form.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    No for adding the 9 calories per gram of fat, puts it in perspective a little better, sometimes the 3500 calorie per pound of fat intimidates people, I also agree with laddyboy, there is so much to read out there and sometimes people don't want to share what they have learned, especially on body building message boards, it's good to share experiences so that maybe we all will stay motivated and meet our goals, I think that is the key......Motivation in any form.

that is what I thnk it is anyway, I will do more research. It actually calculates that way in food. That is why calorie dense foods...like meat, have higher fat contents. And no fat products are low in cals. They are really hand in hand.
  • foxyforce
    Options

that is what I thnk it is anyway, I will do more research. It actually calculates that way in food. That is why calorie dense foods...like meat, have higher fat contents. And no fat products are low in cals. They are really hand in hand.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/1_gram_of_fat_has_how_many_calories
  • acfueler
    Options
    Yep you are right loathesome, isn't the internet awesome?