Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Mostly protein diet good for a guy over 350 pounds?

I'm having extreme difficulties cutting calories lately. It was good for the first few months I was averaging around 1,800 calories a day but now I'm averaging 2.1 ~ 2.4 thousand calories a day and I still don't feel full. My daily 1 to 2 hour walks have gone down to 30 minute walks daily and this is an issue for me. Right now I feel I'm going down a drastic path if I don't change over the weekend.

My plan is to start off the day with some Special K protein cereal and just end up eating Tyson chicken breasts, atkins protein shakes, and a few cups of fruit throughout the day and doing this for the months to come. So it's not really a low carb diet but I plan on getting around 150~200 grams of protein a day and lifting alot.

My question is, is it a good idea to do this at over 350 pounds? I don't plan on being a body builder I just want to lose weight.

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    cut calories, lose weight. fruit, special k, chicken breasts - it all comes down to the amount of calories, not the source of the calories.

eating protein vs carbs won't do that, but the right complex carbs will keep you feeling fuller longer. fruit, btw, being simple carbs won't keep you feeling full as long but will have as many calories as many other carbs. barley, beans and oats have lots of fiber and are nicely complex carbs that last longer.

to avoid hunger, i eat 6 smaller meals per day, scheduling the calories in advance, and that works out very well for me. if i get actually hungry, rather than wanting to munch - which happens mostly on heavy workout days - i eat a non-fat greek yogurt between meals for a protein boost.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Great job on your dedication. No, you don't need to worry about that much protein. I lost 106 lbs (started at 332) on a high protein, low carb diet...and I started by walking an hour a day! Add me if you'd like some encouragement...I've been there!
  • amcampbell2342
    amcampbell2342 Posts: 17 Member
    I don't believe in cutting out carbs; your body needs carbs for energy. Focus on your complex carbs (oats, whole wheat bread etc) and cut out your simple carbs or "crap" carbs. A source of protein/fat/carbs each meal is a great way to keep yourself full. Another good suggestion is pre planning your meals and investing in a food scale so your portions are accurate instead of eye balling.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Just my opinion...

higher protein und lower grain carb level helps me feel fuller longer.

However I'm missing all the veggies and some fruits in your eating plan. Macros are important, but all the micronutrients you get from a variied diet are very important too. Especially if you feel drained or a little depressed.

My plate usually is 1/2 veggies, 1/4-1/3 protein source and the rest some healthy fats and complex carb sources. I vary the ingredients alot, but the amount of veggies is always very high.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Remember that feeling "hungry" is a good thing. That is our body letting us know that it is losing weight for us.
    Instead of eating fruit through out the day, eat something with fat -- avocados, nuts, salmon, tuna and some mayo, oil, butter, full fat cheese, hard boiled eggs, nut butters, . . , . . while still fitting them into your daily calories.