Crazy sudden weight gain

Options
Hello all. Hoping you could offer some insight on what's been going on lately.
5'6", 18 yo female, work part time as a waitress, exercise six times a week moderately (300-500 calorie burn) and a lightly active lifestyle including marching band.
Have been doing well on weight loss, I started late February at 187lbs and was down to 163lbs two weeks ago. My loss started out a nice pace of but has now entirely tapering off and I've been gaining like crazy these two weeks, like gaining up to 5 lbs.
I try to watch my sodium intake, however I have a problem with carbs and I normally end up going over in that category. I have treats but try not to too often. I've tried eating more and eating less and varying my net. Any advice? My workout regime consists mostly of walking running or weight lifting. Just beginning to pull out my hair when I feel like I'm doing mostly everything right. And yes, I do use a scale for my food and I measure everything that goes into my mouth.
Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Hoping you could offer some insight on what's been going on lately.
    5'6", 18 yo female, work part time as a waitress, exercise six times a week moderately (300-500 calorie burn) and a lightly active lifestyle including marching band.
    Have been doing well on weight loss, I started late February at 187lbs and was down to 163lbs two weeks ago. My loss started out a nice pace of but has now entirely tapering off and I've been gaining like crazy these two weeks, like gaining up to 5 lbs.
    I try to watch my sodium intake, however I have a problem with carbs and I normally end up going over in that category. I have treats but try not to too often. I've tried eating more and eating less and varying my net. Any advice? My workout regime consists mostly of walking running or weight lifting. Just beginning to pull out my hair when I feel like I'm doing mostly everything right. And yes, I do use a scale for my food and I measure everything that goes into my mouth.
    Thanks in advance!!!

Well not to be to personal but is it approaching your time of the month because that'd do it. If you previously hadn't weighed yourself regularly you might not have been aware at how much weight gain there is associated with water retention during your cycle.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the weight fluctuates. Keep eating at a reasonable deficit, stay hydrated, and know that doing the right things will eventually get you results. Its not uncommon for weight loss to stall for a week or two (or 3-4) occasionally. Try not to let it bug you. Have faith in the process.

I have a daughter in marching band - and I know that the next 4-5 months will be a lot of work. She was color guard last year as an 8th grader and will be marching as a trumpet this year. She's been working the past few months to learn the first few parts to her music, help her boyfriend who will be marching for the first time & playing low brass. (I honestly think he's only doing marching band because its so important to her, but it will still be a good experience for him!) They start band camp on Monday morning. If your routine is anything similar, make sure you're not going too low on your calories. Spending hours & hours each day outside practicing, you need fuel. Fruit, complex carbs, lean protein especially.
  • flauteusa
    flauteusa Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm aware I have huge fluctuations in weight around my TOM, and even in that case, isn't it unusual that I've only lost two lbs this month? Thanks both you of for your input, I'll still push through.
  • Sofaa1
    Sofaa1 Posts: 19
    Options
    maybe if you try to actually lower your carb intake you would see results: some people respond well to that :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    maybe if you try to actually lower your carb intake you would see results: some people respond well to that :)
    The amount of carbs do not effect weightloss. It's just calories

Check your logging accuracy and have a look at the link gypsy posted

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Also any increase in exercise will result in temporary weight gain and along with normal daily fluctuations which can be up to 5 pounds. I really wouldn't panic too much
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    weight loss isn't linear the month before last I lost 0.5lb doing same as what I did last month and lost 3lb in the last month so keep going and 2lb loss in a month means its working slowly slowly and healthy means its more likely to work than a crash diet
  • flauteusa
    flauteusa Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you so much for the links and feedback. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and keep all these things in mind.
    As long as I'm healthy and progressing what else matters :).
  • Abrahamlincolnfan
    Options
    Every case of "excess weight" is not related to over eating, despite the hype on the obesity "crisis." I hope you will thoroughly check your health out-- including prescription medications. There are real conditions and medications that can put over 100 pounds on a person,despite what they eat. Prednisone causes people with systemic lupus to gain dozens of pounds, along with other medicines and conditions (some related to kidneys, heart, hormones, etc). When my husband passed away after years of cancer, I was shocked to find that I'd lost 50 pounds. I never tried to diet, as my goal is merely better health.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Have you recalculated your calorie goal for your new weight. I don't know if that's the problem, but sometimes people plateau (or gain) because they haven't recalculated how many calories they should be eating. Remember, as your weight goes down, your bmr goes down.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Sudden weight gain of that amount could also be a sign that your kidneys are not working properly. I think I would go get checked by a doctor.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Have you recalculated your calorie goal for your new weight. I don't know if that's the problem, but sometimes people plateau (or gain) because they haven't recalculated how many calories they should be eating. Remember, as your weight goes down, your bmr goes down.

This was my thought too...after losing 20+ lbs (congrats BTW!) it's likely you need to recalculate your numbers and adjust daily calorie intakes down slightly in order to keep the weight coming off.