5:2 diet. Anyone had success with this?

Options
Hi everyone :)
So as the title says, has anyone tried the 5:2 intermittent fasting and if so what were the results? Any stories welcome, i'm just trying to decided whether or not I want to give it a try.

My weight loss is incredibly slow atm, we're talking just maintains or 0.5lb losses and although i'm all for slow and healthy, this is too slow and very frustrating especially while my willpower is good. I want to be losing at least 1lb a week and think 5:2 could give me a boost plus I've heard there's lots of health benefits.

Thanks in advance for any replies :) x

Replies

• Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Check out the "Groups" section above for Intermittent Fasting.
  • Charloo1990
    Options
    Do you mean the juice fasting one? I wouldn't be fasting per say, it's 2 500cal days so would use it on low cal foods.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    For a start hun your weight loss is not that slow, it's actually quite fast, you just need to have patience, I say this with love as your MFP I can only wish to lose as fast as you.

Secondly, if you actually plateaued completely for a good 2 months I recommend doing it, it does work, I do it every couple of months as I don't lose with just a normal deficit (at all). You can even work out on the days you fast, it's quite hard to do. But I also warn you it can be triggering with ED
  • Charloo1990
    Options
    Thanks Charlee, I was kind of worried about it being triggering but I doubt it would set me back to old ways cause I'm happy now and could never go back to starving myself every day. I just want to see better results and be able to feel good in my old clothes.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I am making good progress with 5:2. It makes me feel less hungry and more energetic throughout the week compared to a steady daily deficit.
  • Charloo1990
    Options
    I am making good progress with 5:2. It makes me feel less hungry and more energetic throughout the week compared to a steady daily deficit.
    Thanks for the reply :) I think i'm going to give it a try. If I find it too hard I'll just go back to my cals, no harm done.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Do you mean the juice fasting one? I wouldn't be fasting per say, it's 2 500cal days so would use it on low cal foods.

No, I meant there is a separate Groups section for people with common goals, interests, or weight loss plans. For example, there is a group for women who lift weights and people who do IF (5:2) for weight loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting
  • Charloo1990
    Options

No, I meant there is a separate Groups section for people with common goals, interests, or weight loss plans. For example, there is a group for women who lift weights and people who do IF (5:2) for weight loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting
    Oh I see, thankyou :) I'll have a look.
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    hi!

It works! Here is my story so far....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1331265-celebration-13-months-down-66lbs

I am actually down another 5lbs since....:bigsmile:
  • blastbeat78
    blastbeat78 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I hit a weight loss plateau at the beginning of last year so gave 5:2 a try and have been doing it ever since. I lost a further 12 pounds as a result and reached my target weight. Now I find it helps me maintain my current weight.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I tried it and it works just as well as other intermittent fasting protocols. Personally, I couldn't do it longterm. By the second fasting day of the week I was ravenous and couldn't stay at that high deficit. Now I IF every day, fasting for 13-14 hours a day and only eat between 11 am to 9 or 10 pm. Here's another group you can check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting