Jawbone Up -1000 calories or TDEE - 20%?

Options
Just a quick question. I got my Up and really like it so far. I have it synced with MFP. I have my goal set right now to lose two pounds per week. This has me eating 1000 calories less per day than my daily burn recorded by Jawbone. I work out pretty hard about 4-5 days a week burning 700-800 calories each workout. I'm hitting my daily calorie goals but feel drained like I'm not eating enough. I thought about switching over to doing TDEE - 20% for weight loss. It would give me more calories per day but I don't want to take in too many. But I also don't want to be on low energy mode all day. The difference in the two methods is about 200 calories more per day with TDEE. Thoughts?

Replies

• lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    TDEE minus the 20%. You don't say how many pounds you need to lose yet as a male your body does burn faster and therefore you need the extra 200 calories. They to get that in the form of more protein and you'll lose the lack of energy. Best wishes on your journey.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,227 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you're feeling tired, you NEED more energy - i.e. calories. Why not try upping it to TDEE-20%, and see how that goes?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Or you could switch your goal to 1.5lbs per week loss (750 cal deficit instead of 1000).

It's really up to you though. It's possible your deficit is to large and that is why you feel drained. It could also be other numerous things, like not getting enough vitamins (sure makes me tired when I don't take my multi).
  • JarrodNewton82
    JarrodNewton82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well my goal right now is to lose 100lbs. I'm losing weight now but slowly. I feel this may be another reason to up calories. Because I am burning a lot of calories. I burned 4100 last week. Last night after I ate a decent sized dinner my stomach was still growling like I've not eaten anything.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Jawbone UP Bracelet group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/13370-jawbone-up-bracelet

Your Jawbone UP total burn is your TDEE—way more accurate than any online calculator.

Connect your accounts: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/97

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Set your goal to 1.5 lbs. per week [see below], and your activity level to sedentary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Log exercise in UP, and follow your MFP calorie goal.
    I have my goal set right now to lose two pounds per week. This has me eating 1000 calories less per day than my daily burn recorded by Jawbone.
    2 lbs. per week is a 1,000-calorie deficit. If you want to eat more, set your goal to 1.5 lb. per week, which is 500 calories more.
  • JarrodNewton82
    Options
    If I do that it will decrease my calories even further. I'm set to lose 2lbs but I don't have it set on sedentary. MFP is taking my Jawbone daily burn and subtracting 1000 per day in order to lose 2lbs per week.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    If you reduce your activity level, your adjustments get bigger. Your calorie goal is always your UP total burn (which is your TDEE) minus your deficit.

If (and only if) you have negative calorie adjustments enabled, then you can set your activity level any way you like. They'll never put your calories below 1,200, but that probably isn't a factor at your current size.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of weight to lose, and so you can handle larger deficits. When I started out with 80lbs to lose, I was doing TDEE-27%, and I was losing pretty well. I've seen other sites who suggest TDEE-30% when you have a lot to lose. It is up to you. If you do TDEE -20%, you'll still lose, but at a slower rate than you are currently.

Getting on a deficit can make your body do weird things mostly because you aren't used to a lower level of food. You'll have to decide if it's worth it to you to lose at a slower rate and not be as hungry, or to try and put up with the hunger and lose a little faster. Really it's just going to be up to you.

Keep in mind that you still have a ways to go, so pick something you can stick with. There's no reason to feel horrible and then "fall of the wagon" every couple of weeks. Choose what is sustainable for you.
  • JarrodNewton82
    Options
    Well right now I'm not on a TDEE system just daily burn - 1000 which is about TDEE - 27% for me. I do know eating too little can hamper weight loss as well. Just wondering what everyone else has experienced.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If you're 100 lbs. overweight eating 1000 below TDEE, you're not eating too little for healthy/fast weight loss. Though if you're uncomfortable at your calorie level and having trouble complying with it, those are also valid reasons for eating more. But unless eating more makes you move more, log better or comply better, it will not speed up your weight loss.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    If you're 100 lbs. overweight eating 1000 below TDEE, you're not eating too little for healthy/fast weight loss. Though if you're uncomfortable at your calorie level and having trouble complying with it, those are also valid reasons for eating more. But unless eating more makes you move more, log better or comply better, it will not speed up your weight loss.
    ^^^This.