Week 1 and no weight loss

Options

Replies

• A185945
    A185945 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose anything last week, (also being my first week back after a long absence), and have slowly started to drop again this week. Have patience, you will slowly start seeing results over the next few weeks.
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    That's a bit like complaining it's your first week in your new job and you're not a millionaire yet.

Great analogy!

Give it time, consistency, and patience.
  • chelsealfinn
    chelsealfinn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! It will come as long as you are taking in less than you are burning. Bodies do crazy things. Like recently I was at a plateau then "magically" dropped 2 pounds. Don't be scared by weight fluctuations either. Maybe try measuring your progress with actual body measurements instead of watching the scale. If you're losing inches who cares what the number is!
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Its a marathon and not a sprint. It may take you a long time to see the finish line but if you quit you never will.
    How many years did it take you to get to where you are today?

I would be diligent in your logging, make sure you are keeping track of your portions accurately, look for the hidden calories and be patient. If it goes in your mouth, Log it!

Often calories hide in places we least expect them (i.e. low fat foods typically replace the fat with sugar. They are finding more and more that Sugar can be the culprit behind weight gain).

Here are 10 tips to help you along your way.

1. Drink water 10 minutes before a meal. It helps volumnize food and provides an early feeling of satiety.
    2. It takes approximately 20 minutes before the brain realizes the stomach is full. Put your fork down between bites to slow down your eating.
    3. A concept called 5:30 - Eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day and aim for 30 minutes of exercise per day every day.
    4. Sleep is critical during weight loss. Create a proper sleeping environment free of LED screens (laptops/ipads/TV's etc) The environment should be cooler, quiet and dark. Sleep helps keep a proper balance of Grelin and Leptin in the body. Grelin/Leptin regulation are key hormones related to body weight/ food intake. Leptin is only produced during sleep. (more info here http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-while-sleeping )
    5. Don't allow yourself to get hungry, but consistently have small healthy snacks thru the day. When get hungry we tend to binge eat ( I keep raisins/carrot sticks etc nearby at work to satisfy those cravings between meals)
    6. Portion control. Know what a proper portion is and looks like. A typical plate should be 50% vegetables, 30% complex carbs, 20 % lean protein. (Avoid the condiments as they can be killers)
    7. Read the labels.... know what is going in your mouth!
    8. I always try to exercise enough during a day to burn off your smallest meal. If Breakfast was the lightest meal, challenge yourself to burn it off.
    9. Train with a buddy! It makes you accountable to someone other than yourself.
    10. Think LIFESTYLE. The changes you make today... should be changes you make for life!

These changes are ones that I made and contributed to me losing 110 lbs. I have kept 100 of that off for about 5 years now. As a runner, I am now training for some long distance races and want to lose another 30 (maybe even crack 200lbs).

I hope these help you!

One last thing to remember... You are worth it! You can do this!

Keep up the hard work!
  • robinjohnston5811
    robinjohnston5811 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I understand...I too am on my second week now. I gained 3 lbs. the first week, with no weight loss this week either!! MFP says that my body was in "starvation mode". BUT, my waistline on my pants is feeling more comfortable with a little wiggle room. So, maybe....soon I will see a weight loss. I have been so discouraged, because my husband loses so easily. Just not fair. I also am going for some tests soon, but I wanted proof of my diet to take with me to the doctor. Now I can print out my daily diet and exercise reports and take them with me. HANG IN THERE! :smile:
  • IlithyaUK
    IlithyaUK Posts: 12
    Options
    I am a newbie as well and during my first week I didnt see anything special on the scales for 5 days then as if by magic, on the 6th day I weighed myself and I had lost 2lbs, bodies are weird, my scales are weird, stick with it! Definitely take some measurements of your bust, waist and hips today and compare it again next week, I'm not seeing drastic weight loss but I have lost inches so I know my hard work is paying off :)

I know it sucks to put in effort and not see it reflected on the scales, i'm in the same boat, always thought in my first week of running and 1200 cals I would see a big drop but if we both stick with it, eat right and get the exercise in, those stubborn numbers need to budge eventually!

If you open your diary the people on here will be able to offer loads of advice :)
  • sandryc
    sandryc Posts: 33
    Options
    I was in weight watchers not too long ago. My first week I tracked *meticulously*, I weighed all my foods and ate really healthy food. When I went in for my weigh in I discovered I had gained .2 lbs. I sat there quietly the whole meeting trying not to sob. Every success story, every health tip felt like a personal condemnation. When I got home I did cry. I kept to the same plan though through the next week. My second weigh in I was suddenly down *10* lbs. I was shocked (as were the people weighing me in). Most of that big jump and probably the first gain was water weight.

Don't let it get you down. If you keep it up you *will* lose. Weight loss isn't a strait line and often we are frustrated when our progress doesn't match the trajectory we think it should. I know it is difficult but to give yourself the same patience and support you would have toward a good friend.
  • FatEdwards2011
    Options
    Wow so many responses in the last hour. Thank you! Okay so I figured out how to open the food diary.
  • FatEdwards2011
    Options
    Thank you, I opened it! I could use all the help. I really want this to be my last time.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Ok, this isn't a brag but more of a "maybe something I'm doing can be copied to work for you".

I have had the opposite issue--partly due to some insane activity levels at an aikido retreat--I lost 6 lbs since July 2. I'm starting to think I need to add back some net calories to avoid losing weight too fast. At 50, I worry about saggy skin.

I think some elements to my success in the short term have been:

1. Using an exercise tracker app in my phone. Several free ones exist that talk to MFP. I use the free version of Runkeeper. They have a pay-version called Runkeeper Elite that has additional features, but the free one is sufficient for me. A couple of family members who live states away also have it, so we can be workout buddies that way as well as MFP (if they would only join here...)

Runkeeper seems to be giving me accurate calorie burn values--my net calories correlate well with my weight loss (which I observe 2-3 days after the net calories in question.)

Pick one that offers features you like, or that your friends and family already use, and scrutinize the user agreement--Nike's is worse about selling your personal information than Facebook, for example.

2. Weigh everything that does not come in a pre-measured package. If you don't have one, you really do need a kitchen scale.

3. Low-carb bias in food choices. This is something that depends on your body. Some people lose easier on a low fat diet, some on a low carb diet. Some feel full if they choose high fiber (ie: lots of veggies).

What makes you feel fuller longer? 100 calories of fat, of sugar, of fiber? Bias food choices toward the things that give you the best feeling of "full" per calorie, so that you feel less hungry and thus don't have to rely on willpower as much in avoiding "wrong" foods. Unless you have a known, named genetic cholesterol problem (eg "familial hypercholesterolemia"), eating low carb/mid-range fat won't zap your numbers--losing weight will fix them regardless of which diet is working for your weight loss.

Anyway, for me, dietary fat = full in fewer calories. So that's what I do.

4. Walking hills. You know that Jillian Michaels advertisement for Nordic Track, where she emphasizes "Incline" as a calorie-burner? That concept seems to be working for me. Fortunately I have a real hill to climb and don't have to rely on a machine unless the weather is bad. I use "target heart rate zones" for exercise intensity. You can read about the target heart rate concept on a web search.

Many gizmos exist to measure it but all you need is the clock in your phone--take your pulse for 10 seconds & multiply by 6 to get beats per minute. I do use a heart rate monitor for convenience but if you're pressed for cash the work-around is simple.

I hope this can help. I tried looking at the OP's diet record but it is friends-only so I can't see what you're doing that wouldn't work for me. (And can't tell you what will work for you since everyone's body is different).

add: and now I see she unlocked it while I was typing. running off to look...

add: don't forget also as females we gain and lose water weight for hormonal reasons. Depending on timing & how your body reacts to your cycle, water retention could be hiding your weight loss.
  • FatEdwards2011
    Options
    That's a bit like complaining it's your first week in your new job and you're not a millionaire yet.

Like every other person who is baffled at their lack of weight loss, your diary is set to private. Open it up and maybe we could offer some tips.

Also, the usual. Weigh your food, don't guess. Don't chomp down buckets of pasta and bananas and oatmeal because the packets say they're 'healthy'. Don't skip logging the little things, like butter on bread and oil in your cooking.

I didn't expect to wake up and be 145 this morning, I did expect to be 214. I opened my diary up. I do weigh my food, bu thank you for the advice.
  • epfahl
    epfahl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ladies! Don't be discouraged if you don't see results in the first 2 weeks at all. This is because when you start a new diet and lower your calorie intake your body needs time to ADJUST. Your body is getting used to it's new level of fuel/energy and during that time you probably wont lose any weight.
    It works like this: when you initially start eating less calories, you body thinks you're starving and it goes into survival mode (guards the fat so it can be used for energy in emergencies) so it will only use the fat as energy after it A.) has been a few days without ANY food or B.) realizes you aren't really starving/dying and has adjusted to your new 'Normal' calorie intake.
    If you go from eating 2000-3000cal/day to eating 1500/day, it's gonna tae the body a little while to adjust to the new norm.
    Hope this helps!
  • adamgoleafs87
    adamgoleafs87 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Geez, she asks for some advice and gets some rude replies from people. The majority of people here are awesome...but there is those few in this thread that should just not reply to things.

Anyway, keep your head up, it will come! Give it a bit more time, maybe try switching up your exercises as well.

Do you monitor your sodium intake?
  • FatEdwards2011
    Options
    Ok, this isn't a brag but more of a "maybe something I'm doing can be copied to work for you".

I have had the opposite issue--partly due to some insane activity levels at an aikido retreat--I lost 6 lbs since July 2. I'm starting to think I need to add back some net calories to avoid losing weight too fast. At 50, I worry about saggy skin.

I think some elements to my success in the short term have been:

1. Using an exercise tracker app in my phone. Several free ones exist that talk to MFP. I use the free version of Runkeeper. They have a pay-version called Runkeeper Elite that has additional features, but the free one is sufficient for me. A couple of family members who live states away also have it, so we can be workout buddies that way as well as MFP (if they would only join here...)

Runkeeper seems to be giving me accurate calorie burn values--my net calories correlate well with my weight loss (which I observe 2-3 days after the net calories in question.)

Pick one that offers features you like, or that your friends and family already use, and scrutinize the user agreement--Nike's is worse about selling your personal information than Facebook, for example.

2. Weigh everything that does not come in a pre-measured package. If you don't have one, you really do need a kitchen scale.

3. Low-carb bias in food choices. This is something that depends on your body. Some people lose easier on a low fat diet, some on a low carb diet. Some feel full if they choose high fiber (ie: lots of veggies).

What makes you feel fuller longer? 100 calories of fat, of sugar, of fiber? Bias food choices toward the things that give you the best feeling of "full" per calorie, so that you feel less hungry and thus don't have to rely on willpower as much in avoiding "wrong" foods. Unless you have a known, named genetic cholesterol problem (eg "familial hypercholesterolemia"), eating low carb/mid-range fat won't zap your numbers--losing weight will fix them regardless of which diet is working for your weight loss.

Anyway, for me, dietary fat = full in fewer calories. So that's what I do.

4. Walking hills. You know that Jillian Michaels advertisement for Nordic Track, where she emphasizes "Incline" as a calorie-burner? That concept seems to be working for me. Fortunately I have a real hill to climb and don't have to rely on a machine unless the weather is bad. I use "target heart rate zones" for exercise intensity. You can read about the target heart rate concept on a web search.

Many gizmos exist to measure it but all you need is the clock in your phone--take your pulse for 10 seconds & multiply by 6 to get beats per minute. I do use a heart rate monitor for convenience but if you're pressed for cash the work-around is simple.

I hope this can help. I tried looking at the OP's diet record but it is friends-only so I can't see what you're doing that wouldn't work for me. (And can't tell you what will work for you since everyone's body is different).

add: and now I see she unlocked it while I was typing. running off to look...

So I do have a polaris that tracks my calories while I'm walking. It's really too much on my joints to run at this point. I feel like I should start off running and then add on distance and intensity so I don't get hurt or burn out. Thanks for the advice!!
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    ive been dieting end exercising excessively for a month now and have only lost 2 pounds. speed up that walk and maybe do a little jogging. youll know when you feel the burn. when you are more than 50 pounds over weight i notice the first couple of pounds come off quicker but me im about 30 pounds over weight and mine has always been very suborn. id be lucky to loose 1 pound a week, but i know the more toned i get the muscle i gain will burn fat eventually and i do alot of cardio. i also used to eat probably 3000 cal a day, and now eat 1500 you'd think id be melting with the fact that ive been exercising 5 days a week for an hour but it doesn't always work that way keep going you need to think long turn benefit and health not short and start toning even al the same weight your body will go though changes. my friend 5'9 154lb when she started the gym now 3 months later shes 5'9 and 154lb and super toned/ fit it looks like she lost 15 pounds
  • epfahl
    epfahl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ALSO: every day your body shifts water weight around for various functions and excretion. You need to be drinking at least 6 cups of water per day to aid digestion and help the body function properly. And for every cup you excrete (pee or sweat) you need to replace that with fresh drinking water.
    Im not sure what it is for All weights but for me (150lbs) I'm supposed to vary 3.7lbs EVERY DAY just for water weight. yesterday I was 144 then 149 and now 147. it CHANGES with your body. just go with the flow and be patient.
    Don't worry if your scale says you gained 2 lbs. Unless it says that every day and keeps going up, you aren't gaining real weight.
  • FatEdwards2011
    Options
    Geez, she asks for some advice and gets some rude replies from people. The majority of people here are awesome...but there is those few in this thread that should just not reply to things.

Anyway, keep your head up, it will come! Give it a bit more time, maybe try switching up your exercises as well.

Do you monitor your sodium intake?

Thanks, you're right. I was a little shocket at a few snarky responses. I just looked and my sodium is fine but I could increase fiber and LOWER sugar. I just worrk about lowering it too much becasue I run in the low 70's for sugar as it is.
  • FatEdwards2011
    Options
    ALSO: every day your body shifts water weight around for various functions and excretion. You need to be drinking at least 6 cups of water per day to aid digestion and help the body function properly. And for every cup you excrete (pee or sweat) you need to replace that with fresh drinking water.
    Im not sure what it is for All weights but for me (150lbs) I'm supposed to vary 3.7lbs EVERY DAY just for water weight.
    Don't worry if your scale says you gained 2 lbs. Unless it says that every day and keeps going up, you aren't gaining real weight.

I'm not a water drinker, but you're right I should be drinkng a lot more.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi ,

I looked at your diary and your calorie intake is very similar to mine. I didn't see any movement on the scale for over a week. If you keep at it, one morning you will wake up and see a drop. It will feel amazing and give you the motivation to keep it going! Keep up drinking lots of water and track everything...it WILL happen :happy:
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Couple of things and not trying to be critical at all. 1200 calories is very low... Am I reading this correctly? You are over 200? Are you eating sufficiently? Where did you get the 1200 calories from and what is your weekly weight loss goal?

I am 228 lbs (and a man) but my calories are set at about 2400 per day for a 1 pound weight loss/week. You are eating half that.

While you will lose weight, I'd be concerned that you either would lose too quickly and do harm in the process. Healthy weight loss should be in the neighborhood of a 500 calorie per day deficit to have 1 pound per week.

Please check your settings.