Plateau! Tips on how to lose the last 10 pounds?

Options
I started at 148 lbs when I began this new lifestyle and began mfp. I've lost 18 pounds since April 1st but can't seem to break into the 120s. I work out about 6 times a week varying from 10-30 mins depending on my schedule. I also try to avoid carbs and continue to eat healthier but I've been stuck for at least a month. From what I've read, you have to eat less calories and/or workout more. It's been difficult to work out longer because I have a child and live alone with her so I do my best. I haven't really tried the eating less working out more approach yet I admit, so I figured before I try this I'd like to hear what others have to say. What do you do when you plateau? Tips or tricks to finally reach the goal weight?

Replies

• mfpbaklazan
    Options
    What's your average calorie deficit? Maybe if you started to eat more you would lose the weight, your metabolism could've slowed down.
    I actually went on a LCHF diet for dropping the last few pounds, makes me shed fat and water like crazy. You could try that if you're open to that kind of thing.
  • Hibbers903
    Options
    Do you eat low carb because you have an intolerance. If not you could try carb cycling? This is varying your carb intake to trick your body into burning fat and is usually recommended for people who don't have much fat to lose. Something along the lines of 3 days very low carb and 1 day of high carb. The very low carb days, you would just get carbs from veg, and keep fat intake high. On high carb days you eat carbs with every meal, about 75 - 100gr per meal (I think, I can check if you like) and keep fat intake very low. So it's like a 4 days cycle.

And mix up your workout. High intensity intervals all the way. Especially when you have limited time to exercise.
    Maybe try green tea? Google tea pigs matcha green tea. You take it as a shot and it's great for keeping you metabolism flowing.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight you're eating at maintenance. Check the accuracy of your logging and the numbers you are working from, This will help in tightening your logging up

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • 1961dublin
    1961dublin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to STOP dieting for at least one week or two. Just eat at maintenance, say 2000 cals a day and give your body a break.
    Then after this you will be psychologically and physically ready to kick start your weight loss again. This method worked for me recently. I had stopped loosing anything for several weeks, and then went on hols for ten days during which I ate 3 good meals a day plus booze. When I came home I started the weight loss efforts again and bingo I lost at least 3 kgs in 2 weeks. This has given me motivation to carry on until the next plateau......
  • WitchesGuildMaster
    Options
    I broke mine with conciously GAINING 2 pounds, and then when I started cutting again things were moving along.
  • Irishfaerie86
    Irishfaerie86 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't have a carb intolerance, it's just a diet I'm trying out since it worked for my mom. I decided this week to try the high carb low carb for 3 days then high carb again. I also started using heavier weights today. I feel good but only time will tell, just gonna have to see what happens. I will definitely update if it works!
  • 1961dublin
    1961dublin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thats right , the only way to kick start weight loss when on a plateau is to STOP doing what you are doing and then go back to it later. The body adjusts to our weight loss efforts after months of calorie restriction, and if we continue doing what we do ,without results, thats the first sign of madness!! Ha!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight you're eating at maintenance. Check the accuracy of your logging and the numbers you are working from, This will help in tightening your logging up

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

This...your body doesn't get "used" to anything...to lose the last 10 you do it the same way you lost the first ten and middle 10...you eat at a deficit.

You don't have to gain, you don't have to go to maitenance, you don't have to change up exercise and you don't have to restrict the types of foods you are eating.

Are you using a kitchen scale? logging everything?
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options

This...your body doesn't get "used" to anything...to lose the last 10 you do it the same way you lost the first ten and middle 10...you eat at a deficit.

You don't have to gain, you don't have to go to maitenance, you don't have to change up exercise and you don't have to restrict the types of foods you are eating.

Are you using a kitchen scale? logging everything?

Yep, this. I'm on my last 5, and I am not doing anything different than I did for the first 62. I use a food scale and make sure I am at a calorie deficit.
  • Irishfaerie86
    Irishfaerie86 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I tried the eating high carb then low carb 3 days then high and I've finally broken into the 120s after a month being stuck at 130! I will continue to do this and see if I lose anymore. If not then ill try the other suggestions-thanks everyone!!