37% fat at 135 pounds???

Options
yanicka
yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
I have one of those scale that mesure % body fat. It say that I am 37.5% body fat at 135.8 pounds...it is very high. Does it make sens for you? You can see on my avatar the picture I took yesterday. I am not sure if I can trust that number.

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust any body fat measurement that isn't taken by a professional using advanced equipment.

In my opinion, there is no way a scale can accurately measure your body fat percentage.
  • suemcroberts
    Options
    A few months ago I had mine checked by a professional and I was the same exact numbers...37% at 135 pounds. MADDENING! I'm 5'3" and they told me that shorter people tend to have more fat!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Yes it can. I don't think the scales are that accuate. The skin fold test or hydrostatic testing will be more accurate. It is possable to weigh that and have a high body fat. You probably don't have alot of lean muscle and you are prob carring more body fat. I call it the skinny fat person. That is why working out with weights is so important. to Build lean muscle. I weigh about 140lb but my body fat it lower. I have more lean muscle mass. No about 6-7 years ago I weighted about 5- 8lbs more but my body fat was higher. I add some lean muslce mass and cut that body fat down. I may weigh about the same but I am much leaner. Lean muscle takes up less room then body fat.
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I would say it's hard to trust the exact number, but usually they're up or down within a 2% radius. It's definitely possible & not really as scary as you might think. I think an optimal & healthy body fat % for women is considered to be anywhere from 20-29%.

http://life.familyeducation.com/weight/health/35880.html
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I had mine checked by a professional and I was the same exact numbers...37% at 135 pounds. MADDENING! I'm 5'3" and they told me that shorter people tend to have more fat!

Oh that makes sens, I am 4'11''
    I am doing weight in addition of my cardio.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible, it can be skinny fat. I know not trying to be ugly or anything. But I wouldn't trust the scale, I would have a caliper test or other test done. Plus women tend to have a higher fat percentage because we carry so much fat on our lower bodies and breast area.

Plus there is that deep viseral (spelling) fat that can't be seen. It is the fat that surrounds your organs. That is the dangerous fat.
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    There is a tool you can use on the web, a calculator, just like the BMI and BMR and you'll enter in your height, weight, wrist measurements, forearm measurements and waist etc. to calculate your body fat percentage. Perhaps try that and see if the reults are close, that way you'll know if your scale is accurate or not. I'm thinking with today's technology, scales can be pretty accurate!
  • DRager68
    DRager68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't think that number is correct. It's probably not even close. You dont look like 37% in that pic that's for sure.
  • GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The reality of body composition tesing is simple: the margin of error for any test is so great there really isn't an 'accurate' guage for % body fat. I'm guessing the scale you used was an elecrical impedance test which has a margin of error of plus or minus five percent so if you're testing at 37% the range is anywhere from 32% to 37% to 42% according to the mode of testing so....basically I think body fat testing is new age Huey!! I'd rely much more on body circumference measurements and clothes size as well as the avitar picture :o) I work as a personal trainer whom specializes in preparing fitness models and print models for specific events and I can tell you body fat testing is one of the least accurate methods to assess a persons level of fitness :o)
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    The scales are WAY off! I would assume 5% give or take as well. But none of the tests are 100% accurate. I suggest a submersion test or a caliper skin fold done by your dr or a ftness professional. I am super curious about my actual body fat as well and unfortunately the skin fold is not accurate on me. I hear they have dunk tanks that do events at gyms and what not. Look into it and good luck!