2nd C25K- 1st on treadmill... help!

Options
Ok, I used c25k to train for my first Color Run last fall and did the whole program outside through neighborhoods and up and down (slight) grades.

Granted, its been a while since I ran but last night i started a free run on the treadmill at my gym knowing that I wouldnt be able to do my full 20 mins since it had been so long but figuring I would see where I was at this point before starting the program for the second time... I ended up walking after 2...

Am I the only one that finds running on the treadmill so much harder? Its like I can't get my pace set I'm either running too hard from the start or I have the belt going too slow for a real run/jog so I look like I'm making fun of Baywatch with my slow-mo exagerated run lol funny but not productive.

I tried adjusting the incline to make up for the slower speed but it still just wasnt my right pace.

Help anyone?!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If anything I find running on a treadmill easier as the mat is moving under your feet but extremely boring.

When I ran my first 5K a number of years ago I trained almost exclusively on a treadmill (didn't want to scare the neighbourhood kids by running outside) but have run outdoors all year round since then.

If running outside worked for you before why not go back to it again? (and keep running......maybe your 5K will turn into a 10K and then you're hooked! :laugh: )
  • ameliad87
    ameliad87 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't find it too hard physically. I recently went from running on a treadmill to running outside. Then yesterday, due to some scheduling things (sorry, I'm NOT running outside in 100 degree weather...70 in the morning works, but not 100 O.o), I had to use the treadmill again. I could actually keep a faster pace than what I run outside. HOWEVER, even though physically I could have kept going for awhile...mentally, I shut down. I just got bored. So I would switch to walking just for a change of pace (...pun intended), before I would go back to running). So mentally, I find it more difficult. I try so hard not to look at the numbers on the treadmill, but it's so hard!
  • tiffanylindenmuth
    tiffanylindenmuth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I run around 16-20 miles per week and I feel the same way when I run on the treadmill. Like I can't set the speed just right no matter what I do, but running outdoors, whether it be around the neighborhood or on the track, I do not have this problem. The treadmill does save you from some of the impack you get when running outdoors, but hitting the road is so much better for me. I actually get to go somewhere instead of staying in the same place and running inclines and declines help improve my overall running and cardio abilities. Not to mention running in the heat somehow improves my runs long term as well.

Just try running outside again. Even go to a local track and work on your pacing there. Everyone is different and prefers different things. Find what suits you.

Good luck!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I run at a 1% incline for 90% of my runs, then switch to 0% for the final 2:30. When you run outside, your body naturally speeds up and slows down, especially if you are running using the "perceived effort" method of guaging your exertion. On the t-mill I do tempo runs, where I warm up and then increase the speed every two minutes until I can't go any faster and then move back down to warm up. I also do intervals - warm up followed by 5 sets of 1:30 with 1:30 back at warm up speed in between.

Start at your Baywatch speed and then add .2mph every 2 min. When you get to the pace that feels comfortable and you could do it forever - make that your initial warm up speed for the next run and run at that speed for 5 min. then increase by .2 every 2 min until you max out, then come back down to warm up speed until you recover and do it again.

I find that this sort of exercise doesn't allow the treadmill to get boring, because there's always something going on.

cheers
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I hate treadmills, I just need to be outside. I would start slow with walks outside until you are doing about 2 to 3 miles at a fast pace. Then start mixing in some short runs in the middle. Keep increasing toward your goal. Another outside advantage is you have visual markers like running for one block and the next day a block and a half. Soon you will be "Hey, I just ran three miles without stopping"
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't find the dreadmill to be physically more demanding, if anything it's slightly easier because I'm merely keeping up with the belt.

What I find the biggest challenge with it is the utter boredom of the whole experience. It's the tedium that makes it more difficult because I become aware of every niggle that doesn't affect me when I'm out in the real.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    LOL Baywatch speed...

It was great when I was first running so I could keep a good pace and easily time myself. And when I first ran outside it was torture but once I got used to it, going back to the treadmill just felt so uncomfortable. Like you, OP, I couldn't seem to get the pace right and I just felt so confined. Also, like ameliad87, a lot of it is the mental part - boring!

If I have to be inside on the treadmill, I do intervals (walk 2, run 2, etc) or walk as fast as I can at an incline or a litle of both.
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I downloaded the app and tried running on my treadmill but its awful, even my slow jog hurts when i'm on the treadmill. For some reason as soon as i pick up the pace on the treadmill I get instant shin splints. I even went and got fitted at a running store for proper shoes. I find it much easier on my legs to do it outdoors.
  • avianamity
    avianamity Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thats how I am, long run outside- tired but good, short run on the dreadmill (love that) and my legs are killing me and im winded super fast

I would prefer to be running outside but between scheduling (single mom, mid divorce, living with my parents and grandmother who watches my 3 years old during the day so i dont want to burn them out which means running in the middle of the night lol at least im near farms) and the fact that my mom is just starting with me (her first time running!) and gets sick very quickly in the heat so we're sticking to the lovely airconditioned planet fitness (i know everyone hates them but they're cheap, closeby, open 24 hrs and I'm not trying to look like schwartzenegger lol)

In the fall and winter we'll move it outside but this humidity makes it too hard to breathe.

Glad I'm not the only one! :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I find the treadmill easier and actually less boring, too, because I read while on it. But it's hotter than hell here so I haven't run outside in a while. I might feel opposite in winter.