Heart Rate Monitor Watches??

Options
Those of you who use them, what do you use? I'm thinking that this is going to be the best way to get an accurate calorie burn (especially when I'm doing videos at home on my 'days off' from the gym). I want something kinda cute, so I can wear it besides when I'm at the gym, too.

Anywho, any suggestions would be more than appreciated.

Thank you tons :)

Replies

• shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Vbeltz
    Vbeltz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i have one, but it's not cute by any means. most that i've seen are pretty bulky and i wouldn't wear any away from the gym, but then again i have super small wrists, so mostly every watch looks huge on me. i've had mine for about 7 years, and i love it! i use it every day i work out so that i can have an accurate account of my calories burned. i don't ever go by the calories listed on sites like this because my heart rate is naturally faster than most (cuz i'm small) so i burn more calories than normal people. look around online for the best deals, i know in stores they can cost around 75-100
  • Sparren
    Sparren Posts: 106
    Options
    I have a cheap one, and to be honest I rarely use it now as a HRM, as the calories it says I burn is dependant on what level of activity I tell it I've done, rather than going off my pulse. It asks to read my pulse, but the number it gives me is different depending on whether I've told it I've done light activity or hard-out stuff, so to me the finger-reading thing is a gimic on mine. I now just use it to keep time when I'm taking my Zumba class! I think if you're going to get one, pay more to get one that gives you an accurate reading on what it senses from your body.

I think the most accurate ones would be the ones that strap round the chest, but I'm not sure if these are readily available.
  • cj45431
    Options
    I got a pink one at Walmart for $27.77 (pink for breast cancer awareness)
    It has 7 functions on it and I use it a lot.
    It measures your HR so easily that you can measure it while you are still, warming up, and doing cardio. It gives you a percentage of how much of your maximum HR you are using. I use it when I'm working out at home.
    Made by Sportline. It doubles as a watch and has the date and a back light. It asks your age and gender for a more accurate reading. Has an alarm, stop watch, Timer with alarm, and calorie counter. It also can be put into battery saver mode, I'd imagine it burns a lot of battery if it's left running all the time.
    I hope this helps. :-)
  • AlliDoisWin81
    Options
    Buy a Polar Heart rate Monitor. Read the reviews on amazon. Don't buy junk. You will love it an reach your goals faster. Its all in the details.
  • mzdawnte
    Options
    I agree, buy a Polar heart rate monitor. You can even purchase them from Target these days for about 80 bucks. Whatever you do make sure you get a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. When you wear a chest strap it constantly sends the information to the watch so you don't have to ever stop. I've seen cheaper versions that don't have chest straps and they interfere with the workout because you are having to contstantly stop and check your heart rate
  • eileeeneileen
    Options
    I use the Polar F6 (Women's) and swear by it.. Mine is pink and cost about $78. Like most HRM it's a bit bulky to serve as a stylish watch but I've worn it a few times when I forgot to switch watches and no one seemed to notice. You do have to wear the chest strap when you are using it as a HRM but I always forget I even have it on.

Features:

1. From when i start the HRM to when I hit stop the HRM records:
    - the date
    -my exercise duration
    -my caloric burn
    -how long I was in my target heart range
    -what percentage of the burn was fat
    -what my max and average heart rate was

**I did the elliptical today and it said I worked out for 30 minutes and 30 seconds and 26 min of those minutes were in the zone I set. I burned 248 calories with 45% of the calories being in my fat burning range. My maximum HR was131 and average was 124.

2. The last 12 sessions are stored the memory so I can look back several days and see my numbers for that day.

3, It also keeps a total weekly count and reminds me every Monday with an icon to check the weekly file to see my totals.
    **Last Monday it showed that I worked out 7hr, 31 minutes and burned 3,409 calories. The week before I worked out 5 hours and 10 minutes and burned 2,398 calories.

4. You can enter all your personal date: weight, height, birthday, gender, and if you know it your resting heart rate, maximum heart rate and VO2 information. You indicate what heart rate range you want the HRM to target so it can either beep at you when you are out of zone or flash an up and down arrow (if you have the beeping on silent).

5. Additional: There is a night light and a way to lock the screen. Apparently you can also download all this information to a website for longer tracking. I hand record what I need on my daily wall calendar and MFP so I have not used that feature.

6. Unexpected bonus: It has a built in feature so it doesn't pick up the HRM of people around you. AND all of my cardio equipment at the gym automatically picks up the HRM reading without me even touching the machines' HR bar.

The downside about any Polar HRM is that you have to mail it to them to replace the battery instead of being able to change the battery yourself. It's a highly recommended HRM for people who need a basic but quality HRM (check out Amazon.com reviews) and my trainer who is a triathlete and strength trainer said he uses it because it's easy to use and gives you only the information you really need.