How do I workout In this HOT HUMID weather? :(

Options

Replies

• marcinirl
    marcinirl Posts: 4
    Options
    Maybe try bay fan and exercise at home ,its really works for me.
  • kweightgoaway
    Options
    Thanks everyone ..this summer seems really bad for the weather sorry for making an excuse its just my body do not like the heat when its high. I am thinking of getting up early and going out for a walk and then in the evening. For cardio I am just following a video I watched on YouTube ..I just started doing a walk and cardio since I joined MFP which is a week and half and I have a lot of weight to lose.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hydrate yourself and drink water before you think you need it. If you are getting thirsty, it's too late.
  • Shaystays
    Shaystays Posts: 34
    Options
    I feel ya. I'm in Tennessee (US) but it is still very hot and humid. Since I am not a morning person and can't make myself get up at 5am to exercise, I leave to go to the school track after 8pm (the track is like 5 mins from my house) and they have lights around the track so I walk for about 3-4 miles and then go home.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    I live the south, where hot and humid is the norm in the summer.

Sweat is a sign of greatness. More sweat = more greatness. That's how I get through my runs in the middle of 90-some degree humid weather.
  • vegetarianwhore
    vegetarianwhore Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada and it has been really hot and humid the past couple weeks making my workout difficult . I don't know what is a good time to do my workouts I am so hot and tired from the heat. I read that its best to do a workout in the morning but I cant its so hot still lol I wonder if the evenings when it has cooled are just the best thing to do. Is there anyone that lives in the same climate that have any tips to help me make it to be a better workout? I just go for walks when I do workout and a little bit of cardio to music and that is pretty much it.

I live in the UK and it's around 25-28*C during the daytime (77-82 F). I tend to go for long walks in the evening during summertime, around 7PM when its started to cool down. The sun usually starts to set whilst I'm out and it's pretty.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada and it has been really hot and humid the past couple weeks making my workout difficult .

What's summer in Canada like?
    NOe2cxk.gif

I love this. I consistently give the hubbs a hard time, but he insists they have summer up there every year. I am still skeptical.
  • allangirl
    allangirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Canadian friend. I would try going for your walks around 9pm when the sun is setting. Then I have a shower before bed and it feels great. Who cares if others live in Phoenix or North Carolina and it is hotter or more humid. You live by the ocean and it is close to 75% humidity.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Should try living in Phoenix, Arizona. Gotta just get up and do it and drink water.

I just googled the humidity in Phoenix. It's 13%. Here in NS it's 98% and it's been that way for DAYS. I couldn't sleep in my own bed last night because the sheets were damp and I have to rewash a bunch of clothes that I need to hang to dry because they're still damp from Tuesday night. Needless to say it's hard to breathe when the air is completely saturated like this. Think hiking through a rain forest.

I remember when I visited the Southwest. It was hot and DRY and not like our sticky climate, at all. Oh, to be there right now...

PS: Do I sound cranky because of the humidity? Yes. That's because I am. :P

OP: I can only workout in the gym on days like this. Even a brisk walk is too crazy for me to contemplate.
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position Katie, i've been really mind this heat. I don't want to seem to move in it. I have been sticking to going for my walk or run. Before I go, I take a small towel, wet it and stick it in the freezer for a little while. It definitely helps keep me stay cool. I also go for a cool shower afterwards.

Like someone already said...invest in a good pair of workout clothes that absorb the sweat and moves it away from your body. It helped me big time. It has stop me from getting heat rashes and skin irritation. It is the first time in my life I have ever gone outside in a tang top and I can honestly say I don't care what people think I look like. I am way to hot to care. Proper clothing will help big time when it comes to staying cool. Don't wear big bulky clothing. Bulky clothing keeps you too hot and causes skin irritation. Under Armour is a pretty good brand. I use a brand called Active Wear. You can get it at walmart. They look almost like yoga clothing. They have cool tang tops, sports bras and shorts that have a built in lining.

They say the best time to workout is in the morning because part you get it out of your way before your day is gone and you have time to make excuses. The other reason is to kick start your metabolism for the day. There are good reasons to do it first thing in the am but as someone pointed out the best time is actually any time that you get it done. If you find it easier to do it in the evening when it is cooler, then that is time to do it. The important thing is that you get it done. I would suggest really early in the am or really late in the evening. avoid mid day time since that is when the heat is the worse. Don't worry about moving your workout time to evening if it means you can get it done.

I also recommend getting some weights/resistant bands and some beachchbody dvds or good workout dvds in general. This will allow you to set up a fan directly on you while you workout. Sometimes if it is crazy hot I will also use a cool cloth in the freeze trick around my neck as well.

Most importantly drink lots of cold water. It will keep you from becoming dehydrated and cool you down.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Southern US here. We do hot and humid here from March through October, so you find ways to deal with it if you want it badly enough. If you're going to be outside, just be prepared to sweat (I tell people I don't sweat, I made my fat cry). Some days I go through 2 or 3 sports bras and 2 or 3 showers, especially if I've been at the barn riding.

I second the frozen water bottle (or frozen gatorade) idea. When I run or bike for more than an hour, I have a belt that holds 2 water bottles (I freeze them -- I call them my kidney coolers) and also has a pouch for snacks like granola bars, energy bars, or fruit. Then a cool shower when you get home.

My only word of caution is to pay attention to signs of heat distress like dizzyness, lightheadedness, shortness of breath and confusion. If these happen, slow down or stop, and get hydrated and cooled off.

You'll either get used to it and love it, or you'll just deal with it until it cools off a bit. Good luck. And if you're truly a heat hater, just be glad you live in the (usually) frozen North. :drinker:
  • greetingsliv
    greetingsliv Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Pop a piece of gum in your mouth. Put on a visor. carry water. blast and rock your fav tunes. Smile. Just do it! Your adoring Liv ox:smokin:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I live in on the coast in Florida and it's hot and humid!! I do my walks at 6am and my weightlifting in the evening in the garage around 7pm.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I thought I had it bad when I was out running in -15 (F) in the winter time.... now it's been 80s-90s and 80%+ humidity. Just gotta suck it up. Lots of water.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I live in central Canada and as much as I can sympathize that other areas south of here may have this kind of weather all year round on and off, I know what you're talking about, this insane humidity that just wont let up. US NORTHERNERS AREN'T USED TO IT!

That being said its no excuse, I sweat it out like a beast, drink lots of water and use a towel on my face every two minutes as well as strip off my sweat drenched clothing as soon as the torture is over.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Drink MOAR water
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    For some reason I can ride a bicycle in any humidity and living in central Illinois its friggin HUMID! The breeze from bicycling keeps me from overheating and I get in a great workout. The second I stop though, I'm drenched! LOL
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just have to get on and do it. Everyone says how great this weather is. I guess they're not training hard enough!

One of the gyms I train at is awful - massive glass windows, unopenable, no aircon... and to top it off, someone's stolen the 12" desk fan we were using.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Coolest time of the day is usually an hour before sunrise.

If you don't want to get up that early, or it's still too hot, do whatever you can indoors.

This is why I pay for a gym - because in Texas, I wouldn't be willing to exercise outside for 5 months out of the year. Usually. This year has been unusually mild so far.
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of getting up early and going out for a walk and then in the evening.

This is pretty much what I do. My building doesn't have A/C and I'm allergic to gyms, so I do a lot of walking in the morning (like 6-7:30 am). I also do bodyweight exercises...and just end up sweating a bit more through them. (One bonus of working out at home: I can wear whatever I want...or not...depending on how hot/humid it is.)

I'm not sure where you are in the Sydney area, but when I was there the waterfront off of Esplanade was a nice walk; if you're getting a cool breeze off the water at the right time of day I bet it'd be a lovely stroll.

Just keep going as best you can and keep some extra water around. :)