So exactly when does all the bad stuff happen?

Options

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I'm just here to say that your ticker image is awesome OP...

Haha! Thanks! I love MMA / boxing... talk about huge calorie burns!

I can kick pretty high but I feel I never get the roundhouse the right way...

Yes the roundhouse is tough... takes a ton of practice! Remember it's not about kicking high but kicking forward.
    My trainer told me to imagine I was in a school bus aisle and I had to lift my leg up first, and then over the seats... that helped my form a lot! Just practice, practice, practice :smile:

I was thinking of buying a standing bag...do you think its worth it?
    [/quote

Yes! I love my wave master!

which brand did you get?

I got a Century Sports from Sports Authority, they also sell them at ****s, not sure if you have that store in your area.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    For the record, I don't advocate or promote lower than healthy calorie targets nor do I advocate ed's and I hope no one else commenting here does either.

I didn't argue that my calculations aren't wrong. Clearly they are but at the same time clearly I've maintained a good deficit for over a year because I've lost a lot if weight. Accurate or not some days I physically and mentally know that I am way under like my stomach just doesn't feel hungry... My entire body does (if that makes any sense).

Also, if I am truly eating more than I think I may as we'll start living on water and lettuce! There are a lot if foods listed in my diary because I try to list specific ingredients but in reality I feel like I eat next to nothing! So... Bad stuff like being grumpy, tired, hungry, angry, yup for sure! Not all the time but many times. So I guess the numbers are saying one thing but my body is saying something else.

My body seems to want to stay right where it is no matter what approach I take. I don't want it push it so far that I get sick or injured or have a real crash and burn. So far so good, I am generally fine and have good energy... But I do have my moments.

For those of you truly engaged in the conversation, if I didn't reply I not ignoring you or not considering your thoughts on the matter, just a lot if comments
    Thanks!

Just to clear up my last post where I talked about promoting VLCD and people with ED's wasn't directed at you. It was towards the girl who was complaining that if she talks about how she's doing a VLCD that the mods shut the threads down or give her warnings/strikes.

I'm confused by your comment of if you are truly eating more than you think you should start living on lettuce and water. If you are losing weight why would you need to further reduce? If you are losing weight, and the way you've been losing weight has actually been healthy and sustainable...I realize you aren't really going to start living off of lettuce and water, but I just don't get the point of that comment.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    For the record, I don't advocate or promote lower than healthy calorie targets nor do I advocate ed's and I hope no one else commenting here does either.

I didn't argue that my calculations aren't wrong. Clearly they are but at the same time clearly I've maintained a good deficit for over a year because I've lost a lot if weight. Accurate or not some days I physically and mentally know that I am way under like my stomach just doesn't feel hungry... My entire body does (if that makes any sense).

Also, if I am truly eating more than I think I may as we'll start living on water and lettuce! There are a lot if foods listed in my diary because I try to list specific ingredients but in reality I feel like I eat next to nothing! So... Bad stuff like being grumpy, tired, hungry, angry, yup for sure! Not all the time but many times. So I guess the numbers are saying one thing but my body is saying something else.

My body seems to want to stay right where it is no matter what approach I take. I don't want it push it so far that I get sick or injured or have a real crash and burn. So far so good, I am generally fine and have good energy... But I do have my moments.

For those of you truly engaged in the conversation, if I didn't reply I not ignoring you or not considering your thoughts on the matter, just a lot if comments
    Thanks!

Just to clear up my last post where I talked about promoting VLCD and people with ED's wasn't directed at you. It was towards the girl who was complaining that if she talks about how she's doing a VLCD that the mods shut the threads down or give her warnings/strikes.

I'm confused by your comment of if you are truly eating more than you think you should start living on lettuce and water. If you are losing weight why would you need to further reduce? If you are losing weight, and the way you've been losing weight has actually been healthy and sustainable...I realize you aren't really going to start living off of lettuce and water, but I just don't get the point of that comment.

No problem, I knew it wasn't directed at me. I just wanted to make that note in case anyone had the wrong idea :smile:

Yeah, there's no way I'd be that dramatic or stupid to live on lettuce and water haha! Yes, I think for the most part my weight loss has been good (slow and steady), of course it came off very quickly at first and I think that's normal. I also worked to set up something I could live with long term, mostly because I am a snacker and I am a chocolate addict and I know I can't live without those things so... I try to work them in.

The truth is I feel I have fallen off track. I know a lot is trial and error, finding the thing that works for a while and having to adjust once a body gets used to it. While I feel that I'm losing ounces/inches and my body is re-organizing because I am lifting weights more often.. I just don't see the pounds coming off. The "dreaded" last five or ten. It sounds small and probably trivial I know but to me it's a big deal. Maybe I am mental but I prefer "My" body more on the thin (bones), side. I'm sure I'll take crap for saying that, but that's just me. In the beginning I was practically starving myself and I did that for a long, long time and I heard the lectures about getting sick doing things that way. After a while and through research and good information here I changed my ways and incorporated more of a 'normal' eating plan to my life.

So... I guess I don't know what my point is other than I have often wondered how long someone can push their limits while on extremely low calories before suffering any detrimental physical effects. So while I feel I need to further reduce my calories since it's been (kind of) proven that I am eating more than I think. My gut tells me I am truly not eating enough. The old school part of me says eat less and burn more. Other information tells me to eat more and eat healthy and maintain a regular exercise routine. I could literally eat next to nothing and work out multiple times per day... but how long could I get away with that?

I just don't know. Sorry... this isn't well thought out and probably raises more questions than answers LOL!

But here is something more related to the calories burned part of this thread:
    I just did a zumba class. I didn't wear my nano or HRM, I am only tracking through MFP. You will have to trust me when I say my one hour of dance is over the top intense. I push myself as hard as I can, I make my moves as big as I can. When others are stepping, I am jumping. I put forth all of my energy. In-between songs when folks are resting, I am jogging in place or around the room or jumping. I do this on purpose to get maximum burn. At times wearing my Nano or HR I have been given a 380 calorie burn for 50 minutes. I just put the time into MFP (I indicated 50 minutes vs. the full 60), and it gave me a number of 403. I manually rounded that number back down to 380 which is what seems consistent with my other devices.

So based on that, keeping in my that I know it's never exact, does 380 sound reasonable? Or should I consider less of a burn and call it 320? 300?
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My Garmin vivo had me burning 400 calories brushing my teeth, getting ready for the day, and making breakfast. And, I didn't run around the house while doing those things and I'm 140 lbs roughly/5 ft 8ish so I'm not significantly overweight.

I don't look at the calories, I look at the number of steps per day and work to meet the minimum daily and increase weekly.

I view that Garmin as a motivator more than a high tech, perfectly accurate device.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    My Garmin vivo had me burning 400 calories brushing my teeth, getting ready for the day, and making breakfast. And, I didn't run around the house while doing those things and I'm 140 lbs roughly/5 ft 8ish so I'm not significantly overweight.

I don't look at the calories, I look at the number of steps per day and work to meet the minimum daily and increase weekly.

I view that Garmin as a motivator more than a high tech, perfectly accurate device.

Oh yes, my Fitbit totally motivates me to get my steps! Since wearing it I park as far away as I can from stores, etc. I love getting way over my average daily!
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    hmmm interesting post the OP just made on another forum...
    Yes, this has happened to me as well.

I went to my doctor and got thorough physical exam, blood tests, etc.

She said it was most likely a combination of my nutrition (I lost weight rapidly but ate very clean), and my age. I am around the age where these things happen so... All of my tests were normal. She told me unless I experience any detrimental physical things, not to worry about it. Plus, I am at an age where kids are out of the question so... I believe it is mostly due to nutrition but I am not trying to have it come back either.

OP, if you think it's due to your nutrition, then you have experienced some of the bad stuff you asked about in your original post. just saying.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    hmmm interesting post the OP just made on another forum...
    Yes, this has happened to me as well.

I went to my doctor and got thorough physical exam, blood tests, etc.

She said it was most likely a combination of my nutrition (I lost weight rapidly but ate very clean), and my age. I am around the age where these things happen so... All of my tests were normal. She told me unless I experience any detrimental physical things, not to worry about it. Plus, I am at an age where kids are out of the question so... I believe it is mostly due to nutrition but I am not trying to have it come back either.

OP, if you think it's due to your nutrition, then you have experienced some of the bad stuff you asked about in your original post. just saying.

I would agree with that except for two things...

One, all of my blood tests and physical exam came back completely normal with all levels being exactly where they should if not on the better side.

Two, it has been decided on this post that I am eating a lot more than I think I am so... it wouldn't really apply, would it?

It's a little personal really, the other post, and regardless of what I believe as someone else here said, the numbers don't lie, that goes for nutritional numbers as well as blood test numbers, right? I could be wrong...

But yes, I see where that would be an indication of not having the proper amount of calories or nutrients. But it hasn't effected anything else at all. I have a small history of off/on cycles so...

At my age, it's also normal to begin this transition.... I don't want to get more into it... TMI :smile:
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Here is another example, and today is a good one because I am working from home and took extra care to weigh and measure my foods. I was really careful about the measurements and as stated before, I under estimated my Zumba class burns (two today).

Starting with 1300 calories for the day.
    Consumed 981
    Burned 760
    Net 221

So if I end my day there (yes, I pre-logged), I would have a net of 221 with 1029 calories left to eat out of my goal. A day like today I haven't even hit my calorie target let alone my net. So this would be considered very low calories, correct?

Yes, there is a recipe in there for dinner but I meticulously weighed and measured each ingredient and portioned it out appropriately once it was finished.

Note - I didn't use Fitbit at all today, just MFP.
  • rnfreed
    rnfreed Posts: 13
    Options
    For about a year I've been loosing weight. I lost about 15 pounds. Now, I am suddenly gaining weight even with basically the same excersise and eating plan. So yes, I would save that hurting your metabolism is quite possible and hard to fix.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Why so much exercising and so low calories? Are you still trying to lose? Overtraining might be interfering. I don't think negative net calories is going to hurt most but if you're eating that little and working out that much regularly and don't have much to lose, I agree with people that it could be a bad idea.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    For about a year I've been loosing weight. I lost about 15 pounds. Now, I am suddenly gaining weight even with basically the same excersise and eating plan. So yes, I would save that hurting your metabolism is quite possible and hard to fix.

Nah... you just made a new post and decided that running is the reason why you're gaining weight again so... I am not sure I understand what you're saying here.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Why so much exercising and so low calories? Are you still trying to lose? Overtraining might be interfering. I don't think negative net calories is going to hurt most but if you're eating that little and working out that much regularly and don't have much to lose, I agree with people that it could be a bad idea.

I'm trying to lose some vanity pounds. I was talking to someone the other day and they asked me "where the pounds would come from". So perhaps my body has no more to give? I am not convinced... But I've tried eating more, eating less, working out more, working out less, nothing seems to work on these last several pounds. I have considered over training as a culprit yes. But I love to work out lol. The main reason I posted that is because it is typical of what I do daily, regardless of how people view my diary. If I added in the Fitbit adjustment I'd be well over a thousand by the end of the day with a negative net.
  • michelle_816
    michelle_816 Posts: 621 Member
    Options

^^ This

I have read through this whole thread. When you posted your height and weight and the amount of exercise you do and the amount of food you eat, I felt sad and worried for you. Maybe you are feeling all right now, but I don't see that in the long run.

I am your same height and my goal is to get down to about 140-145. I am almost 37. I cannot imagine being able to keep up and not feel run down living on so little while trying to kill myself working out.

I would think at 5'5 and 120, you shouldn't need to lose any more and are probably more skin and bones (which I know you said you like) than you think.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You're 5'5" and 120 trying to lose 9-13 lbs (ticker v posts)? I guess my reading skills do lack! That does sound like 'bad stuff' is happening, sweetie. Loving to work out is one thing but when you're also eating at extreme deficits and aiming for below-normal BMI, it could be a bad thing.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Yeah my ticker and posts probably don't match because I've been playing with my numbers a bit. There is nothing wrong with hitting 110 if I get there the right way, no? I feel totally fine, better then gone, good energy level and all that
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You're 5'5" and 120 trying to lose 9-13 lbs (ticker v posts)? I guess my reading skills do lack! That does sound like 'bad stuff' is happening, sweetie. Loving to work out is one thing but when you're also eating at extreme deficits and aiming for below-normal BMI, it could be a bad thing.

(Never thought I'd say this, but...) ^this
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Yeah my ticker and posts probably don't match because I've been playing with my numbers a bit. There is nothing wrong with hitting 110 if I get there the right way, no? I feel totally fine, better then gone, good energy level and all that

Feeling good is hardly an indicator of anything at all. I'm hungry 24-7, does that mean I should eat all the time? Because I feel like I should eat all the time?

Common sense would say no
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    wut? the story keeps changing? and the direction of the change is contingent on which way the criticism is blowing? shocking.

i would like to unsubscribe
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    wut? the story keeps changing? and the direction of the change is contingent on which way the criticism is blowing? shocking.

i would like to unsubscribe

I'd say this place needs an 'unsub' button but A. They don't even have a damn sub button for threads and B. they can't even manage to not have a pop up show up 100 times a day so a sub/unsub button is clearly asking for too much.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    OP,

I suspect you are no special snowflake because your diary reflect that you count both you fit bit calories and your exercise machine estimates as calories burned. Chances are your deficit is much less than you think it is.