question about earned calories

Options
I am new here. My daily goal is 1200 calories in but it says I earn calories. Do I have to use the earned calories? When I say that I have finished logging for the day it says I was under. I'm confused. Thanks.

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    If you use the MFP program as planned then yes, you are supposed to eat back those earned calories so that your "net" calories = 1200.

Net calories: Food consumed calories - exercise calories = 1200.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    The calorie counter starts off the day like you will only do your normal amount of activity. (According to what you set up) When you enter cardio exercise(for example) the calories burned will be added to the starting amount. You should eat all of these calories by the end of the day because the calorie defecit for your weight loss goal is caalculated in already.
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    How would you lose weight then if you are eating back the calories you burned? I'm sorry.
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    You are burning the calories and you should eat them! It may seems CRAZY, but eating too little will make your weight loss slower.
  • runningneo122
    Options
    The starting number of 1200 calories(for you) is set to be 500 calories less than you need for your normal activities and not counting exercise. The 500 number comes from a set goal of 1 pound loss per week. 7 days x 500 = 3500 which is equal to 1 pound.
  • tjf1215
    Options
    Sherry,

If you eat 1200 calories and burn 600, your body is only running on 600 calories. This is extremely unhealthy.

However if you eat 1800 and burn 600, your total caloric intake for the day is 1200. Which is what your daily goal is.

So basically don't think of it as eating the calories you burned. Just maintain the 1200 calorie goal. On days you eat more you need to burn more. On days you eat less you need to burn less.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    As the previous post stated, a calorie deficit is already calculated to come up to your 1200 target (it would have been higher but they factored in the deficit for weight loss). You may also do a search as there are hundreds (thousands?) of prior discussions which may help you further understand it. Welcome, and good luck in your journey!
  • runningneo122
    Options
    Yes, fasttrack is right. On the Home Board ther are posts like weight loss for beginners that have a red pushpin to the left of them.
  • MrsH06
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • trixieflow
    trixieflow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    that's the best reply i've seen. i've been fighting in my own head about this too!
    on all of these weight loss shows the people are always saying - i'm eating so much, i'm eating all the time, blah blah blah - of course, it's not empty calories but healthy foods.
    thank you for your post!!
  • trixieflow
    trixieflow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    that was for tjf1215
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Your body will think it is in starvation mode if you don't use the calories you earn through exercise. When your body thinks that it is starving, it will hold tight to those fat cells in an effort to prevent you from starving. Just the opposite effect of what we all desire, to get rid of those fat cells for ever!!
  • snkkllr
    Options
    Another way to look at it is that when you are exercising properly you need good calories to maintain and build lean muscle. Eating the proper foods and maintaining your caloric intake insures that your metabolism ( your ability to burn calories ) stays healthy. Diet is just a part of it.
    Exercise is the other part. If you can start doing light strength training you will gain more lean muscle which in turn will up your calorie burning ability ( metabolism ) and you will begin to burn more fat calories while you are at rest or even sleeping.
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Sherry,

If you eat 1200 calories and burn 600, your body is only running on 600 calories. This is extremely unhealthy.

However if you eat 1800 and burn 600, your total caloric intake for the day is 1200. Which is what your daily goal is.

So basically don't think of it as eating the calories you burned. Just maintain the 1200 calorie goal. On days you eat more you need to burn more. On days you eat less you need to burn less.

Well said!
  • AmyJopp
    AmyJopp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The starting number of 1200 calories(for you) is set to be 500 calories less than you need for your normal activities and not counting exercise. The 500 number comes from a set goal of 1 pound loss per week. 7 days x 500 = 3500 which is equal to 1 pound.

Well said!
  • MrsH06
    Options
    i lost 1 pound :( i really felt like it was going to be a bigger number, maybe i did it wrong.