Ideas for quick lunch please

Options

Replies

• carmen62
    Options
    This is simple and I love it. Buy a bag of pre-packed mixed lettuce leaves and a can of tuna in oil. Keep a bottle of balsamic vinegar in the work fridge. At lunch, drain off the oil, throw it it the salad and splash on vinegar. Of course add extra salad vegies if you have time ( I throw in cherry tomatoes and cucumber, bit of chopped celery), or swap with tuna in brine if you prefer. Add a few crackers/ wrap/ other carb if you can't do without. Use fruit for the snack, or pack a small tub of peaches in juice (no added sugar).

It doesn't look great, but is really tasty. I never tire of it as I like the strong flavour of the balsamic.
  • denisecc
    denisecc Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like to take a lettuce leaf, turkey breast, tomatoes, cilantro and roll it up and eat it. You can pretty much put what ever you like. I am Diabetic so I am trying to eliminate carbs as much as I can, to keep my sugars low.
  • katzplay62
    Options
    NancyM221 has the right idea: Spend part of your day/s off cooking ahead.

My personal favs are salmon/cream cheese quiche (freezes well in individual containers), protein no-bake cookies, parmesan tuna patties. Of course I have protein bars, too, but I have to watch my consumption of these; not only are they expensive but they're pretty high in calories, too.

This week I 'm trying a recipe for protein noodle lasagna and chicken patties.

My sister is a rad tech who works Sat morning through to Mon morning (double shifts and on-call thru the nights). She uses Carbquik and makes blueberry muffins, brings a protein rich cold cereal and ff 1/2 & 1/2, and sometimes Carbquik pizza leftovers.

Hope this all helps! And if you want any of the recipes I use, let me know!

Kat
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    Amazed!! Everyone is so helpful on here. I'm now spoilt for choice. So glad I came back on here. I know you guys will help me reach my goal . I can see myself in my  in the summer 
  • barberella
    Options
    Before, I used to buy Healthy Choices up the wazoo for lunch, but now I'm trying to stay away from processed/packaged foods and make my own meals at home.
    Now I try to eat more protein like an open face tuna melt with celery and steamed vegetables. I also like BLTs with turkey bacon. Of course, these are meals I make the night before. I find that I eat the best when I plan out my meals the night before. It prevents me from overeating and keeps me on task.
  • PinnHead
    Options
    wow, serendip, thats sounds great ! It has every craving in it ( crunch, fat, and sweet ) It does sound yummm. I know what im having for lunch!!
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    When I need to take a lunch with me I roll a burrito.

1 Mission Wrap --- I like the sun-dried tomato basil
    1/2 tsp sour cream --- spread a wide stripe
    1 tbsp salsa --- spread on sour cream
    1 tbsp chopped onion
    1 slice red tomato - diced
    1 big pinch Mexican blend cheese
    1/4 cup meat --- I brown ground turkey and add Taco Bell taco seasoning
    baby spinach

Can nuke it(rolled up) for 30 seconds or so to warm up the meat.

Check my diary for the numbers on the ingredients. 340 calories total.

Seriously, this sounds delicious!!!

Not only delicious, it DOESN'T sound like a diet meal. Yum!
  • jenjones3
    Options
    when you say raw nuts what is that exactly? and how many nuts is to many im sorry im new to this and dieting i work at a doctors office as a nurse and i rarely sit down to eat so i usually snack all day and its not healthy whats a healty serving sweets is not really an issue for me but breads and such so when i snack i eat way to much so if i want a snack how much is the right amount?
  • lilmzhunni
    lilmzhunni Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Please post recipes, that would be really helpful..Thanks in advance:flowerforyou:
  • possibility
    Options
    Whenever I am super hungry and want something low cal and fresh, I always make sure I have a head of romaine lettuce. If you put a couple slices of lean meat inside and a little bit of salsa in each leaf of lettuce, it makes the yummiest, most LOW CALORIE snack ever. and depending on the meat, isnt more than 30 calories per little wrap. :)
  • sptsimone
    Options
    There are lots of great ideas here http://www.laptoplunches.com/photo-gallery.php (hover over photos and it tells you what's packed).

I eat clean and so I pack a cooler every day with all my water, snacks and lunch. I use the Fit N Fresh containers because they have built in ice packs (1 entree/sides and 1 salad). I rarely take anything that needs heating since I drive around a lot during the day for my job.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    When I need to take a lunch with me I roll a burrito.

1 Mission Wrap --- I like the sun-dried tomato basil
    1/2 tsp sour cream --- spread a wide stripe
    1 tbsp salsa --- spread on sour cream
    1 tbsp chopped onion
    1 slice red tomato - diced
    1 big pinch Mexican blend cheese
    1/4 cup meat --- I brown ground turkey and add Taco Bell taco seasoning
    baby spinach

Can nuke it(rolled up) for 30 seconds or so to warm up the meat.

Check my diary for the numbers on the ingredients. 340 calories total.

Seriously, this sounds delicious!!!

Yes, this does sound delicious - thanks!
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Wraps are number 1 in my lunch! I purchased some 200 Cal Digiorno pizzas that I absolutely adore because I love pizza! I also usually make a large pot of healthy low cal soup and freeze it in single servings so I can just put it in my lunch box and pop it in the microwave when its time to eat!
  • tracytreseder
    Options
    my favorite breakfast AND lunch while at work is the following:

Chobani plain fat-free greek yogurt (has 23 grams of protein per serving!)
    15 raw unsalted almonds, chopped
    1/2 cup fresh blueberries
    1/2 cup fresh raspberries
    1 TB. honey
    (mixed all together)

I also eat string cheese and fresh fruit, cottage cheese mixed with a chopped apple or any other chopped fruit, Weight Watchers smart ones and Lean Cuisines, baby carrots and grape tomatoes dipped in hummus, veggies and dip (Hidden Valley Light Ranch is the best tasting light dressing and only has 40 calories per Tb.), canned lentil & minestrone soup, canned vegetarian chili and oatmeal (Oat Revolution is the best and you can measure the water in the paper pouch it comes in, so is perfect for when you are at work without a measuring cup).

:smile:
    Tracy
  • wintervixen78
    wintervixen78 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I work in a busy hospital and get half an hour for lunch. I need recipes that I don't have to make on the spot. I've totally run out of ideas and don't want to stray to the readily available tins of biscuits and chocs that patients family regularly bring us in. Look forward to your input :happy:
    I only get half hour lunches too and it sucks! Mostly I make wraps, or bring in left over's in take away containers (which I purchased the containers online.

If you like cous cous, here's a dish I make, very very filling and quick! You'll need a kettle for the cous cous and a microwave for the rest and'll take 2 mins to make. If you don't have a microwave, keep the veggies at room temp, they don't have to be cooked, but then you may want to sub the raw onions for garlic puree! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/155313-mediterranean-cous-cous-396-cals-serves-1-2
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    Whenever I am super hungry and want something low cal and fresh, I always make sure I have a head of romaine lettuce. If you put a couple slices of lean meat inside and a little bit of salsa in each leaf of lettuce, it makes the yummiest, most LOW CALORIE snack ever. and depending on the meat, isnt more than 30 calories per little wrap. :)

What a great idea! I always have these in my fridge. Thanks so much
  • alnsmith
    alnsmith Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My latest lunch addiction is the Green Giant Just for One Broccoli and Cheese thrown on top of the Fix Quix cubed turkey (http://www.buddig.com/products_fixquix.aspx). The broccoli only takes a couple of minutes to heat up and I throw it on the cold turkey and it warms it up nicely. There's enough cheese in the broccoli so you could throw some rice in there too if you wanted.

I usually have something small like fruit to go with it. Its pretty filling.
  • lilchris
    lilchris Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose the extra calories, use a lettuce leaf instead of the wrap. You can have extra filling or even two and still not have as many calories. I am going to have to try the Turkey, tomatoes and cilantro. That sounds yummy!
  • meadows654
    Options
    NancyM221 has the right idea: Spend part of your day/s off cooking ahead.

My personal favs are salmon/cream cheese quiche (freezes well in individual containers), protein no-bake cookies, parmesan tuna patties. Of course I have protein bars, too, but I have to watch my consumption of these; not only are they expensive but they're pretty high in calories, too.

This week I 'm trying a recipe for protein noodle lasagna and chicken patties.

My sister is a rad tech who works Sat morning through to Mon morning (double shifts and on-call thru the nights). She uses Carbquik and makes blueberry muffins, brings a protein rich cold cereal and ff 1/2 & 1/2, and sometimes Carbquik pizza leftovers.

Hope this all helps! And if you want any of the recipes I use, let me know!

Kat
    I would love to know more about those protein no bake cookies! And I love CLIF Mini Bars for a between lunch and dinner snack. Only 100 calories and it's organic.
  • Madiann
    Madiann Posts: 177
    Options
    Bump! I'm a security officer. Thanks for the great ideas.