Will eliminating fruits help my diet?

Options
so I guess watching this video on youtube in which he said, that there are 5 steps to losse belly fat really fast.

1. Drink only and only water.
2. Eliminate all sugar ( no bread, no sweets, no rice, no fruits)
3. Eat only vegetables and meet such as chiiken and fish.
4. walk/jog 1 hour in the morning / 1 hour in the afternoon (if possbile)
5. Gain acces to weights atleast 3/7

Now.. I feel like this could really work, but the fruit part i dont kno is it true? I eat alot ALOT of fruits everyday..!!

Replies

• Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    None of that is really necessarily true in my opinion. The weights can help with body composition but the only thing that gets rid of fat is a calorie deficit.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    None of that is really necessarily true in my opinion. The weights can help with body composition but the only thing that gets rid of fat is a calorie deficit.
    yep
    those things just make it easier to stay in a deficit, but you can drink soda, eat sugar, not touch a single vegetable or step foot in a gym and still lose weight
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No.

Why are you trying to eliminate an entire food group? Fruits are healthy. Pasta/bread is healthy. Unless you have a medical issue being addressed by a doctor, you don't need to cut any foods out. Exercise moderation, follow a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. And unfortunately you can't spot reduce, so even if you have belly fat, there's not much you can really do about it, because fat will come off wherever it darn well pleases. However, lifting some weights could help you change your inches/the way your body looks... which is probably more what you should aim for if that's all you're aiming to get rid of and you're at a healthy weight.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    so I guess watching this video on youtube in which he said, that there are 5 steps to losse belly fat really fast.

1. Drink only and only water.
    2. Eliminate all sugar ( no bread, no sweets, no rice, no fruits)
    3. Eat only vegetables and meet such as chiiken and fish.
    4. walk/jog 1 hour in the morning / 1 hour in the afternoon (if possbile)
    5. Gain acces to weights atleast 3/7

Now.. I feel like this could really work, but the fruit part i dont kno is it true? I eat alot ALOT of fruits everyday..!!

That looks like the diet of someone getting ready for a fitness competition! And they only do it for a few weeks out of the year. That is terribly restrictive and cuts out 2 food groups (dairy and grains). I maybe could do that for 1 months, but I'd be pretty miserable.

What counts for losing weight is the caloric deficit period. It doesn't matter how you create it (by eating less or moving more or both). What matters is can you sustain it and are you meeting your macro and micronutrient needs.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Because Youtube is a VERY reliable source
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    No. Eliminating a portion of your calories will help, though. No need to make weight loss difficult - calories in vs. calories out. Stop looking for a quick fix and you'll do fine.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You said you eat "a lot" of fruit every day. Fruits do tend to be calorie dense so eating too many of them can easily take you over your calorie goal. There is no reason to undertake an over-restrictive regimen like that recommended.

For a science-based recommendation for eating go to the Harvard Nutritionsource and follow their "Healthy Eating Plate." Then limit your calories and exercise. Voila. -- and you'll be healthy to boot.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you eat enough fruit daily to put you over the calories you'd need to maintain your current weight, and cutting out fruit brought your calories below that maintenance level, then yes it would help your diet. And you can certainly cut out fruits if you really want to. But there's no need to restrict fruits entirely. They tend to be a good source of fiber and the micronutrients your body needs.

All things in moderation. Including fruit.
  • Bbowling03
    Bbowling03 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It has helped me tremendously. Good sugar is still sugar. I didn't ban them, but my intake is way lower. Basically fruit, bread, etc is carbs. Carbs are addictive and tell your brain for more carbs. I eat way more fat then I do carbs, not really even being too concerned about cholesterol. (body works off fat faster & brain does require cholesterol) I know this is a different approach to most, but read Wheat Belly (gluten and effects of heart) and Brain Grain (Gluten affect on the Brain)

I have what's called partial complex seizures, the kind that I simply check out for 2-4 minutes. On Dr's med's but what a difference by just drastically lowering my intake of gluten and carbs. (by the way, those guys who are completely off gluten....more power to them, its freaking in everything) So I'm not a fanatic about it....I just watch it.

I do exercise daily, but lost 28 pounds in 70 days.

Last thing. I put a tablespoon of Trader Joe's virgin Coconut oil in my coffee every morning. (a little greasy) but I actually have to force myself to eat. It is the best appetite compressor I've ever had.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    The red flag is "really fast". It's possible to lose weight fast but you can't get fit really fast.

As for fruit, I've been on maintenance since May 2012 and I eat a lot of fruit.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of fruit and drink OJ (anywhere from 90-120 grams), but was always under on calories. I cut way back on my fruit (and juice) intake for 3 months (shooting for under 42) because my doctor said I was borderline diabetic. In those 3 months my blood sugar dropped 22 points... HOWEVER I was not prepared for the reprocussions. I noticed a big difference in the skin on my face and around the jawline. So I am now shooting for around 60-65 grams a day, and my skin seems a little tighter again.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    No it's not necessary.

But those who say it can't be done long term are wrong. Totally depends on the person. I once went a year eating primarily only protein, healthy fats, and veg. To this day that group makes up the bulk of what I eat and enjoy.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I added fruit back in because of all the summer! And my weight loss that had been stuck on neutral for a couple weeks started up again. Why cut out something so wonderful when you can have it AND lose?
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Bump!! I love fruits and vegies and believe in eating healthy, low fat foods :) keepin it simple - good luck to you!!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Youtube strikes again