Do meal replacements really work?

Options
Hi all! Will start off with: not judging anyone's choice of eating, just curious so want some answers.

Do meal replacements; such as bars and shakes, really work for long-term weight loss? I always thought that since most of them are so calorie, the weight would be gained back once a person gets off them? Is that inaccurate? Also, if you choose meal replacements, what's your reasoning? Time, convenience, etc.

Thanks!

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    they work to replace meals yes

they basically just help you stay within a calorie limit. a cheaper and more sustainable approach is to learn how to do this without the use of meal replacements

the weight usually comes back on after because they dont teach how to properly portion meals, so the person who drinks/eats them ends up going back to old habits, therefore regaining the weight
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    They would work if someone adhered to the program that goes with it. Just like any program that adheres to not eating more calories than you burn.
    People resort to MRP's for just a couple of reasons: lack of time to prep food/convenience or weight loss. And weight loss happens because of calorie deficit NOT because of the MRP.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options

they basically just help you stay within a calorie limit. a cheaper and more sustainable approach is to learn how to do this without the use of meal replacements

the weight usually comes back on after because they dont teach how to properly portion meals, so the person who drinks/eats them ends up going back to old habits, therefore regaining the weight

I wonder if they'd almost be better off to finish off a person's calorie deficit period (i.e. to break through those last few stubborn pounds when a person already has learned good habits from the rest of the weight lost).

Edit: Words no make sense.
  • centaurizoe
    centaurizoe Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Don't a lot of MRP's have a lot of sodium? And sugar? And aren't very nutritional in general? I guess I am just surprised at how many people use them daily, to me it would be easier to just eat.
  • aroddy0323
    Options
    I started using one in combination with a calorie restricted diet and have seen results. I used to do two a day, but now I have gone down to one (only M-F) I have lost roughly 15 pounds in a month (in combination with excercise). If you chose to use them, you still have to watch your calories for your snacks and dinner (if doing them for breakfast/lunch).

I, personally, am not so much worried about gaining the weight back after I stop using them because I have changed my cooking habits to be healthier. I know I can't go back to the way I was eating before... EVER.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

I wonder if they'd almost be better off to finish off a person's calorie deficit period (i.e. to break through those last few stubborn pounds when a person already has learned good habits from the rest of the weight lost).

Edit: Words no make sense.
    hmm interesting thought. i dont knwo how much they would help though, generally by that point the person in question would be pretty good at staying within their calorie limits
    Don't a lot of MRP's have a lot of sodium? And sugar? And aren't very nutritional in general? I guess I am just surprised at how many people use them daily, to me it would be easier to just eat.
    not sure about sodium, but sugar yes. from what i understand they are pretty good nutritional wise (vitamins and whatnot) because they are a meal replacement they need to have a half decent nutrient profile

i dont think all that many people use them though
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

What amount is considered a lot of sodium and sugar, and not nutritional? In order to make that assumption, one's overall food intake, as well as lifestyle and fitness choices must be considered. Yes, while you and I may find it easier to just eat, as @ninerbuff stated, MRP's address the issue of convenience/lack of time to prepare food.

As long as you are in within calorie goals and limits, anything can work if you can mentally and physically stay with it for the long term.
  • _Naeja_
    _Naeja_ Posts: 7
    Options
    I have a meal replacement drink for breakfast, but that's because if I eat something solid first thing in the morning I get nauseous and stay sick all day. If I don't have *something* on my stomach then I'm extremely irritable by midmorning. This started during my first pregnancy and never went away. If I can hold off until about 10 o'clock to eat, then I can have something solid, but usually I can't make it that long without getting light headed. This has nothing to do with weight loss, but it is why I have a meal replacement daily.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them, but a lot of my food issues are visual, so I would prefer to have a lower calorie meal that is on a plate/bowl instead of a shake or a bar.
  • Flyingfree83
    Flyingfree83 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I generally have a replacement meal shake once a day but this is basically convenience
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I tried having a smoothie for lunch the other day to replace my regular lunch... My insides were killing me within two hours because I felt so hungry. Smoothie was same calorie amount as the regular lunch, it just wasn't doing it for me though. My friend does meal replacements and she's lost her weight just fine. Just be careful what you're putting in your body, some of them contain unnatural chemicals and products.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I was told by a nutritionist that the are fine here in there if you dont have time to eat a meal, just try not to do it every day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I know a couple of people who use MRPs on occasion for convenience...they tend to be on the go a lot and it would seem to be a better option than a lot of other things.

I would assume that if one were following a plan that included MRPs, they would "work" for losing weight just like any other diet plan works if you follow it. But it's not like somehow 500 calories from MRPs is different than 500 calories of real food.

I'm a total foodie so I'm pretty sure I would never even try one of these things, even for convenience...about as low as I'll go is a Cliff Bar on the run.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I have an occasional meal replacement bar on a busy day. They help tide me over if I happen to miss breakfast or lunch at work.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Will start off with: not judging anyone's choice of eating, just curious so want some answers.

Do meal replacements; such as bars and shakes, really work for long-term weight loss? I always thought that since most of them are so calorie, the weight would be gained back once a person gets off them? Is that inaccurate? Also, if you choose meal replacements, what's your reasoning? Time, convenience, etc.

Thanks!

They are calories.
    If they satiate you, and you can hit your caloric goals, and lose weight (or gain weight), then they work.
  • krisncraig
    krisncraig Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 2 shakes a day for the almost two weeks. I have one for breakfast then I will have a piece of fruit with a handful of almonds for a snack. Then I have another shake for lunch and a protein bar a couple hours later and then a nice evening meal. I try to make sure I drink plenty of water and take a kickboxing class three days a week. Doing this I have lost 6 lbs in 10 days. I also have to add that this is working well for me, I don’t feel like I am starving and this way I am not skipping meals.
  • stirlingflowers1
    Options
    Hi!
    I drink a meal replacement shake everyday, it gives me energy to workout, reduces my cravings for sweets (I have a huge sweet tooth :) ) And it's helped me drop some weight for sure... I fully believe in them. I've been on mine for about 3 months and I don't see giving it up anytime soon... I wouldn't want to.
    Hope that helps!
    Heather