Weighing In : Excited or Dread???

Options
Hello everyone. I have jjust started my weight loss process. I just woke up and I was 250 pounds!! omg at 5'9 1/2 (the half counts) I dont look 250 but I am definitely carrying the extra pounds and in the summer UGHHHHHH it really isnt fun!!

But anyways, I weighed myself for the first time on Sunday and haven't weighed again since. I like to weigh week to week so I may weigh in again on Sunday. The suspense however on how I did this week is killing me!!!!

So how often do you all weigh yourselves and why??

*** also I am looking for friends on here to talk to throughout this process because I dont really have any friends on here to talk with and be encouraged by but thats a different story!!

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    everyday probably 3 or 4 different times, for curiosity. i only account the first one in the morning as a progress measurement though
    eta; if your going to do this you have to take the numbers with a grain of salt and realize that daily fluctuations are very common
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I like weighing myself before and after I drop the kids off in the pool.
  • dearannna
    dearannna Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself whenever I feel like it. For months this was once (or even twice) a day. At the moment it's once a week, or once a fortnightish. The change is making no difference to how fast the weight comes off.
  • ybee1991
    ybee1991 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, on Fridays. I hate weighing myself, a couple of years ago I was obsessed with it and I don't want to get to that place again. Conversely, gaining 50 lbs wasn't fun and weighing helps me to keep track/be aware of when I need to stop doing certain things, etc. I used to weigh myself at the gym, but I joined a new gym and don't know where the scale is (lol) so I bought a cheap digital scale from Walmart. Hadn't weighed myself in a month, but did last Friday. Looking forward to tomorrow, just because I want to see if I've lost more than .2 lbs lol! Also: I dread and hate the scale. Sometimes I want to weigh myself midweek or something, but it's easy to tell myself to just wait.
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Once a week, Sunday morning, same time, same scale, same clothes.
  • GuineaPiglet
    GuineaPiglet Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Once a month, and even that's depressing. I learned pretty quick to ignore the scale and just take weekly pictures to compare. I lost around 5 pounds last month but it was a big 5 pounds!
  • krogers810x
    krogers810x Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I try really, really hard not to weigh myself more than once a week. I tend to do it on Saturday mornings. If I'm not strict with myself about weighing just once a week, I obsess over the number on the scale more and will end up weighing myself 5-6 times a day ... and end up miserable over totally normal daily fluctuations. I am finding myself much happier - AND seeing more success! - by weighing less often. I am also measuring with a body tape, which is REALLY changing my frame of mind about the evil scale.

Feel free to friend me!
  • jtrack3d
    jtrack3d Posts: 91
    Options
    Weigh every day... pay attention once per week.

I always weigh just after I get up in the morning and pee, every day. That's the closest comparable you can get before you eat or burn. Then, it logs into an excel spreadsheet and I go on. Then, Friday's I review the week mid-day... not when I am weighing. So, weighing provides neither excitement nor dread.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    neither...it's just part of my routine. when i wake up, i turn on the coffee maker and proceed to make my lunch and breakfast to take to work...then i go put my contacts in, brush my teeth, and take care of other necessary business...then turn on the shower and I weigh myself while the water is getting warm.

just routine.
  • Bri_Becq
    Bri_Becq Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAYS!!!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Excited or dread? Neither. I weigh myself daily and I record the number. I have no emotional response to it it is just part of the process.
  • ZhaoWei76
    ZhaoWei76 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I tend to weight myself every day in the morning, after getting ready for work and all...

But I only count the weekly weigh in, which for me is on Tuesday (I feel like I should move it, but that's where it is)...

In the past I didn't dread it, but lately, I'm getting so close to my first goal.... So since I didn't hit it on Tuesday, I'm not going to weigh myself again until next Tuesday (since that one will count)....

If you do it every day, don't get discouraged... Your weight will fluxuate so much from day to day, so many little things can make you gain half a pound or lose half a pound.... If you don't think you can handle the emotional roller coaster that can be weighing yourself every day, then I'd stick to once a week...
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily each morning shortly after I wake up. This allows me to see the ups and downs and have associated food and exercise data to see how these things are effecting my weight, what is causing water retention and thus be able to make better decisions. I am also a little OCD with things like this and am compulsively on this site. :P But I am sure that has nothing to do with it....
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I love numbers and the way it looks on a chart. I'm not excited about it, but I don't dread it either. I guess you could say, I'm indifferent. As long as the trend is down, I'm good.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Excited or dread? Neither. I weigh myself daily and I record the number. I have no emotional response to it it is just part of the process.

^This. Every morning I wake, visit the bathroom, work out (unless it's rest day), weigh myself, and shower. In that order. It is now just another mundane, daily habit for me. It's as exciting and dreadful as brushing my teeth.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    weigh in is eh for me now...since I am at maitenance...

But it is once a week on Fridays...preweekend debauchery...

As long as I am between 152-158 all is good. If it's above 158 it's still not bad...I just won't be so slack on the weekend or go for an extra walk...if it's under eh all is good...

No excitement or dread....never was..and I only weigh once a week.
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I switch off between weighing myself everyday versus once a week on Sundays. I think I prefer the once a week, because the hormonal fluctuations at certain times of the month annoy me, even though I know they are only water.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Everyday, in the morning, after I handle my business. I also like weigh in before and after a workout to see how much water I drank. It's usually 4-6 lbs worth.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Daily. More of an extra piece of information to use. That and despite MFP always being accurate for me, I'm still shocked it works so well, and want to keep double checking it, lol.
  • bloodofareptile
    bloodofareptile Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day - I like to see the actual fluctuations. I'm a data analyst, so I tend to quantify everything I can.

I am neither excited about this nor do I dread it - it's just part of my daily routine.