Macro goals

Options
ChrisUK70
ChrisUK70 Posts: 54 Member
Hi,

I have been logging for 31 days but have not paid attention to the macros just ate what I wanted to and tried to keep within my target calorie goal.

What should the macro goals be, should I be trying to eat more protein avoid carbs etc?

Thanks

Chris

Replies

• ktherinerussell
    Options
    It all depends on what you're trying to do. I found a website and books to answer that question for me: http://www.muscleforlife.com

The guy who runs that website also wrote a few books and his book Bigger Leaner Stronger gives a very good explanation of macros and what yours should look like depending on your weight and what you're trying to accomplish (losing weight, maintaining). I bought his book for women, Thinner Leaner Stronger, and found it to be really helpful for me. :)
  • ChrisUK70
    Options
    Thanks I shall have a read, always good to have recommendations.

I am on journey of weight loss and have about 40lbs still to lose but I am making progress, so lose the weight then get ripped and then mirrors everywhere lol! :o)
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I posted the following recently in two other threads -

I think the macros are more important than the calories, meaning it's more important to hit your macro goals while staying within your calories, than just staying in your calories. This is especially true if you are exercising.

I think if you let MFP calculate your macros they will be way off. When I set myself up, and then when my wife went through it, carbs were set way to high compared to protein and fat. Here’s a real good article on eating the proper balance -

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/eating-abs-beach-body-diet-handbook

I focus on getting my protein and fat first, staying under my calories, and then let the crabs fall where they will. I'd rather hit my calorie goal and go over a bit on protein and fat, than go over on crabs. If you love fruit and veggies, that will be tricky.
  • ChrisUK70
    Options
    Great article thanks!
  • andythecurefan
    andythecurefan Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to find this information useful as well. I'm looking to lose weight but eventually want to tone up and wanted to understand what this who macros thing was. The only macros I'm currently aware of are on Microsoft Excel...point proven.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If your goal is purely weight loss, focus on calories. While macros make up your calories, tracking macros is more for body composition/athletic performance (or if you have a health reason to minimize/avoid a macro group). Protein and Fats are essential macronutrients. So while it is important that you at least consume the minimum requirements for healthy cell and hormonal function, there is no need to stress out if you are over a given macro - as long as you are within your caloric goals. Weight loss is calories in vs out - doesn't matter where the calories come from.

Edit for - As for your earlier question OP, unless you have a medical reason to do so, there is no need to avoid carbs. Again, calories in vs out for weight loss.
  • ktherinerussell
    Options

I am on journey of weight loss and have about 40lbs still to lose but I am making progress, so lose the weight then get ripped and then mirrors everywhere lol! :o)

I am right there with you! I am 20 lbs overweight according to my doctor, but that number is at the top of my healthy weight range. I want to lose about 35 lbs or so, but I also want to build muscle so when I lose the weight I am toned and fit. However, since I'm trying to gain muscle as I lose fat, my scale is not doing me any good at the moment because I'm not losing weight!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I am right there with you! I am 20 lbs overweight according to my doctor, but that number is at the top of my healthy weight range. I want to lose about 35 lbs or so, but I also want to build muscle so when I lose the weight I am toned and fit. However, since I'm trying to gain muscle as I lose fat, my scale is not doing me any good at the moment because I'm not losing weight!

Sorry but pick a goal...it is very very hard to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

Gaining muscle (which is hard enough on a bulk, esp for woman) requires you to be in a caloric surplus and doing a progressive heavy lifting program, while fat loss requires a calorie deficit.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    Agreed, it's very hard, but it can be done.

That's why if you are trying to do both, you need to pay very close attention to your macro nutrients.

Also, you need to be aware your weight loss (scale) may not show as quickly as if you weren't doing both, since you are adding muscle, but you will see a difference in how clothes fit. If not seeing the scale drop quickly will deter you, then don't do both, or track your body measurements.
  • Melissa_mojo
    Melissa_mojo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If your goal is purely weight loss, focus on calories. While macros make up your calories, tracking macros is more for body composition/athletic performance (or if you have a health reason to minimize/avoid a macro group). Protein and Fats are essential macronutrients. So while it is important that you at least consume the minimum requirements for healthy cell and hormonal function, there is no need to stress out if you are over a given macro - as long as you are within your caloric goals. Weight loss is calories in vs out - doesn't matter where the calories come from.

Edit for - As for your earlier question OP, unless you have a medical reason to do so, there is no need to avoid carbs. Again, calories in vs out for weight loss.

How do you know what your macros should be if you dont want to lose weight but tone up? I am trying to build muscle and tone basically im at the "skinny fat stage" blahhhh!
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    You can check out the article I posted above. It's from Men's Fitness but the principles are the same for a woman. Or you can read this posting here (information is more exhaustive but similar to the article I posted -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

How do you know what your macros should be if you dont want to lose weight but tone up? I am trying to build muscle and tone basically im at the "skinny fat stage" blahhhh!

There is no perfect macro set up, as it depends on your goals. Online calculators can help point you in the right direction, but through trial and error you will eventually find what works best for you. I recommend a site like iifym.com You can plug your info in, as well as your target caloric intake. From there you can play around with the protein and fats amounts. Again, protein and fat are essential. I recommend setting them to at least minimum requirements (for protein - .82g /lbs and for fat, at minimum .3g/lbs or 20%-25% minimum of daily caloric intake. Proper fat intake for women is important for a multitude of hormonal and health reasons). After that, you will fill in the remaining calories with carbs.

As far as building muscle, you will need to be in a caloric surplus to do so. If you are new to weight training, you may experience muscle gains while in a deficit, but that will not last. Focus on heavy, compound lifts - 20 reps of bicep curls won't cut it. "Toning" is revealing muscle once you lose fat. Lift heavy, dial in your diet, rest - repeat.