Body fat % help needed!!!

Options
My scale tells me I have 18.1%, one website told me 21%, and another told me 25%!
Should I believe my scale. I don't want to have 25% body fat!

I have 21 years old, 5'6, 114.4 pounds.

Replies

• JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Body fat calculators and scales are highly unreliable... Calipers might be a better judge, but I've heard there's up to 5% error just about every method except perhaps the scans, and even though are of various reliabilities.... You appear to be on the lean side as your weight to height ratio shows. I'd definitely not think that you're at 25% though, much leaner than that.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    On your profile it said you are recovering from an eating disorder. Visually I would say you are around 20%. The problem is it's hard to tell on just one picture. You could probably benefit from strength training because your stats tell me that you have low lean mass. At the moment I would suggest not trying to lose weight because your weight is low.
  • levicrouch
    levicrouch Posts: 99
    Options
    Besides the fact that that it is difficult to measure body fat scientifically accurate, a persons body fat % doesn't matter much.

What matters more is to measure body fat in a consistent manner (same tools and the same conditions) and track it over time.

Tracking allows you to determine if your body's composition is changing in a way you want, while you make changes in your diet\lifestyle or keep them the same.

Given your story, i would say use your scale to measure your BF% over time, and over time, a healthy diet and lifestyle will show a decrease in BF% over time.

Scooby has a good video on how to measure BF as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPy-D9LZQqM
  • VeganEquestrian
    VeganEquestrian Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been recovering since March, and have gained nearly 20 pounds!!! I'm worried that I gained too much fat tho...
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Yes, I have been recovering since March, and have gained nearly 20 pounds!!! I'm worried that I gained too much fat tho...

25% is still healthy, although your body fat is probably not that high. I did some calculations and your lean body mass is very low for your height. Improving that will help you be able to eat more in the long run.
  • VeganEquestrian
    VeganEquestrian Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    How do I improve that? I ride horses (2-3 a day) which burns a lot of cals and right now I'm eating about 2500 cals a day (netting 1700-1900) and not gaining anymore. So I think I can already eat a lot... too much...
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Strength/resistance training is the best way to improve your lean mass.