Woman in her 40's is FINALLY going to do this! 100+ lbs

Options
Hello everyone! Like many of you I have been on the dieting yo-yo trip my entire adult life. This time, I am determined to see this through and more importantly, maintain it! I honestly think that losing is the "easy" part.....

I will be 42 years old next month and I am married but don't have children. I am 5'4 (and a half) and hope to lose at least 80 and as much as 120. I am currently at 249 lbs with a loss of 16 lbs after 3 weeks. I have a LONG way to go but I know I can do this! I'm looking to find my fellow sister friends. We're in this together!

Replies

• LanaC1210
    LanaC1210 Posts: 37
    Options
    Welcome! You can do it! Stay on track and don't give up! Each step is a step closer toward reaching your goal! So whether it be baby steps or huge leaps...keep it up!!!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'm proof can do it, I've lost a total of 90 pounds and 55 of that has been since turning 40. It takes work and dedication to yourself but it's an amazing journey! Good luck to you
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    You are off to a great start, and in the right place. Approaching 40, I found myself at 332 lbs. With the right nutrition and exercise, I lost 107 lbs in two year, just in time for my 40th! My wife lost 80 in the same time frame. You can do this! Add me and I'd love to be a support to you!
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am in my early thirties, a little shorter than you, and started at a weight a little lower than your starting weight. I have lost 55 lbs, and would be happy to be friends.
  • Daniellelearnstolikesalad
    Options
    WELCOME !

I am 23, and am "starting again" but this time I have no intention of finding the fat I lose :)
  • cgallagher1019
    Options
    The biggest piece of advice I can give you is weight lifting. Find a trainer, at a gym or a certified trainer that woks out of a home gym or smaller location. As you lose the weight, which you will :) the more you lift weights A) You will burn twice as many calories as doing cardio alone and B) You will slowly tighten your skin. The result in major weight loss is a lot of extra lose skin, this can not be "dieted away" it is a surgical procedure to remove it. BUT if you are constantly weight training and strengthening you muscles, adding bone density, and burning calories, you are also slowly tightening your skin. It will make a huge difference and it will speed up your weight loss than with cardio and diet alone :)
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    why does weight lifting tighten skin exactly?
  • AmandaJ12
    AmandaJ12 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is an awesome site. You can do this!
  • DKplus4
    DKplus4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. 40 years old here with a minimum of 100 pounds to lose.
  • Wildfire916
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Nice to feel so welcomed. I feel like I am just beginning this journey for real this time and know I can do it. I have been walking for exercise and so far, I think that's been the key for me. I have done the whole gym thing in the past but I never looked forward to it and it was a chore. The nightly walks though I have found to be really motivating.

My husband is big into fitness and has been really supportive of me doing this. I wouldn't need to hire a personal trainer because we have a full gym in our garage with every imaginable weight lifting paraphernalia you could think of! As I lose more weight I told him I would let him start me on a lifting regimen but for now, I am good with the walking. I would like to lose 20 lbs for the month but I don't think I am going to quite make that. Still, 16 lbs so far isn't too bad for a start!

One hundred pounds seems like a really big number right now but I really feel like I WILL DO IT THIS TIME!!! Thanks again for the support!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    You can do this.
    Good luck to you.