kettlebell weights

Options
Has anyone started using kettlebell weights and really seen a great improvement in their body weight and toning? I am starting classes in 2 weeks and looking forward to it. I have done mostly cardio but i have lost 42 pounds so far this year. and realize that weights help in weight loss, for fat burning and maintenance. My present weight is 227 so would love to hear from women who have used this exercise with great results. Or even any problems with it.

Replies

• tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I love them.
    I could see differences in my body composition.
    I lost a lot of back fat.

Watch your form.
    My sister threw her back out.
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will be careful. Starting a class in a week.
  • AsianSnowFlake30
    Options
    Yay, my first reply:). Well I LOVE the kettlebell, I started with 10lbs and now I am using my 15lb one and I want to get a 25lb one. I used youtube videos for inspiration. Then I made up my own, what ever I feel works the core. I am dedicated to running every night after work and then I work out with me kettlebell. I have seen GREAT results. I have flattened my tummy, raised my booty, and lost weight. I have that sexy toned line down my stomach and I couldn't be happier. People at work are noticing and it's really helping my confidence. I hope this helps. I recommend the kettle bell to everyone. It is fun and you can just do so much! :).
  • librarydebster
    Options
    That's great that you have had so much success! I am sold on my kettlebells. I even took them with me on vacation this week and used them outside at a friend's cottage. i really need to strengthen my core and I have already found that at at least on one exercise I am ready to go up to a 15 pound.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,568 Member
    Options
    Argh! Typed a long answer and then the forum timed out >:(

Anyway, I have two kettlebells, in 8 and 12 kg (17.6 and 26.4 lbs?). So far I only use the heavy one for resistance exercises when I don't go to the gym, like weighted sit-ups, rows, 2-hand clean and press, other presses, squats and lunges.

I think I'm slowly getting a bit better with swings. I've had quite some problems at the beginning because my stamina is terrible (I should do cardio but can't: foot issue) and because I'm rather clumsy. But the other day I managed to do 100 swings in good form without a pause. This was just two weeks after attempting a 10, 15, 25, 50 pyramid and having serious difficulties at the 50, and giving up completely after the second round. Yay to me :)

So basically I'm getting better in using the ball, though I'm still far from getting the best out of it.
  • librarydebster
    Options
    100 swings is fantastic!
  • yirara
    Options
    Thanks a lot :)
    For tomorrow I have a leg and *kitten* HIIT session planned, and I thought about doing kettlebell swings inbetween the bodyweight intervals instead of skipping or high knees as the programme suggests (my foot just hurts doing those). Today I have a similar upper body workout and I'm still looking for an alternative for cardio for that one. Maybe also swings? Hmm.. might be a bit too much.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are supposed to be cardio and strength in one. If you want, you can use them in circuit training and probably burn a lot of calories, have fun, and get stronger.
  • myjourney16
    myjourney16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    LOVE kettlebells. I would recomend them to anybody. They are such a good workout, and the best part is that if you go intense, you can get a great workout in in 20-30 minutes.

And those swings.....can you say BOOTY BURNNNNN
  • Lisane1969
    Lisane1969 Posts: 11
    Options
    I love kettlebells ! My trainer makes me do a lot of different exercises with them., the toughfest for me being a full squat with while holding two 8kg (17,5 punds) kettlebells. Tough, but effective !
  • yirara
    Options
    TO, please do tell us about your first workout!
  • rachelfrancoise
    rachelfrancoise Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been using kettlebells for 6 months and love them. I started out doing single kb deadlifts. I'm now doing 20kg in each hand (about 44 pounds each) in a deadlift, and I do a kettlebell swing (20kg). I also use kettlebells for step ups (now 14kg in each hand). Ive noticed alot of body changes - and have gone down from size 18 to a 10 since just after last christmas. I think for me, the step ups and using the kettlebells is what has made the biggest changes (to my lower body especially).
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebells, and yes serious results can be had from them. I have my own and design my own programs. As the exercises are strength and cardio based in one, they burn tons of calories.

Form is all important though, make sure your trainer assists with this!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swings are great for conditioning but I don't think that it's very useful for building strength or muscle mass. I use a 110lb kettlebell for swings and even with the heavy weight I stop because I'm out of breathe, not because my muscles are fatigued. They are a useful tool for conditioning but don't expect to replace regular barbell training with them.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/why-use-kettlebells

"It all depends on your goals. If you’re trying to build a bigger chest, look to barbells and dumbbells—like Todd Durkin, C.S.C.S., prescribes in the Big Chest Workout.

For a full-body routine that burns fat, adds muscle, and gets you in shape for your weekend Ultimate Frisbee games, try the Ultimate Kettlebell Workout. And if you only add one kettlebell exercise to your regular routine, make it the kettlebell swing. This exercise activates your hamstrings, back, and posterior chain of muscles and you’ll improve your speed, flexibility, and core strength, says David Jack, a Men's Health advisor and director of Teamworks Fitness in Massachusetts."
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Well, no; I didn't get spectacular results from kettlebells. But if you do it consistently, you'll see results.

For a while, I did an hour of kettlebells on Sunday and then I took Spin for an hour afterwards. Before I bought those classes, I was boxing for an hour and then did bootcamp for an hour. I'm not sure one exercise is better than another.
  • yirara
    Options
    i use the swings for conditioning as swimming is the only classical cardio i can actually do without foot pain. and as my accomodation pool is currenlty around 37 degrees C and the sun shining on it with 55 C i'm not too keen. ;) please google for temperature in F. I'm typing with mobile phone.
  • stirlingflowers1
    Options
    Kettlebells are my passion... I love them!!! Check out the facebook page "300 swings a day" (its not my page) I mix Kettlebell swings with my daily beachbody programs and since I've added the kettlebells in it has ramped up my results 10 fold!!
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I would love to know how the OP is doing with her classes. OP, are you still checking on this thread?
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later :) love kettlebells and want some new ideas/exercises