First spin class

Options
I want to book a class at my gym for an early morning spin session but I feel a bit awkward going alone. I've seen the people coming out and going in before and it always seems like they know eachother. Should I just go for it?

Replies

• IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I'm sure if you go regularly you will know people there as well :) just go early to ask the instructor to help you set up your bike
  • Jersey_GirlSpins
    Jersey_GirlSpins Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Definitely go for it! I love spinning and went alone my first time. It's a great workout for any level. You can go as hard or as easy as you like. I agree with the above post. Go early so the instructor can help you set up your bike. That's very important. Bring a towel, because you are going to sweat - a lot! And definitely bring water! Hope you try it and like it!
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Go. Hydrate!
  • deearess
    deearess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    One of the best pieces of advice I've heard is to give it three tries to let you know whether you like it or not. I liked it right away, but it takes some people a little longer...especially since it takes a few rides for your bum not to hurt.
  • deearess
    deearess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    And, I've always gone alone. It's not like I do a lot of talking anyway. There's something about a good workout that can bond you to your class pretty fast. Let us know when you go and what you think :)
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I want to book a class at my gym for an early morning spin session but I feel a bit awkward going alone. I've seen the people coming out and going in before and it always seems like they know eachother. Should I just go for it?

Go! Then go once more because the seat won't hurt as much the second time.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I think they say it takes 3 times at Spin for the seat not to bother you anymore.

Having said that, get large sanitary pads - if you want to - and stick them on the outside of your underwear, and then put your shorts on. You will be MUCH more comfortable. And, if you buy the padded pants, get the Mens versions; they are more padded than the ladies.

I always wore the padded pants and a pad; I used to Spin twice a week. It's a great workout; I lost 7 inches around EACH thigh!
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I just started a spin class, 5 sessions now. The instructors are really great in helping set up your bike. I'd say just go. I'm a really quiet person, but those attending are pretty nice. I rarely need water for one hour, but had a women offer me a bottle of water that I didn't even know...how nice is that.

Obviously you can set your own pace, but the workout is definitely intense for that hour of class. Once you get going, i've yet to see people talking. Our class is normally about 10-15 ppl.

Good luck, have fun.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Here's what I remember from the last time I did spinning:
    1) There are no side conversations. The music is too loud and the instructor is the only one with the capacity to speak and pedal
    2) It took me about 5-10 classes to complete a workout without an unscheduled break
    3) It was very fun, and REALLY rewarding when I completed my first full class

I say go for it!!!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Echo the go for it! I spin once a week & I love it! I go to the class on my own & yep chit chat doesn't happen.

Your bum will hurt like hell - & you may be stiff the next day. It is so worth sticking in with it though. I'm a smoker (much to my shame) and my lung capacity has still improved from spinning.
  • AU2007
    AU2007 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    By all means, Go and give it a try!! I have my own spin bike at my house. I use it for at least 30 min a day, 5 days a week. I love spinning! And, like everyone has said, you WILL be sore the first while. But, it gets easier after awhile!! Spinning is an awesome way to exercise!
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Just go! It's a no-pressure thing. Instructors are generally encouraging, but won't call you out or scold you for not being abe to keep up wit more trained cyclists. Tell your instructor at the beginning of class that it is your first time and they will likely be very glad to welcome you. It's a great workout. highly recommend just going for it and bringing a water bottle.
  • jzs20
    jzs20 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yea definitely go it alone if you have to, Its worth it.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Yes, go! I recently got into spinning and I LOVE IT. Your cooch might feel numb and your butt might kill for a few classes, but it all sorts itself out.

You can go to YouTube to watch videos about how to properly set up your bike. Or you can ask the instructor. Bring a hand towel and a big bottle of water. I recommend starting off with lighter resistance than what others in the class might be using (depending on your fitness level) so that you can make it through.

I have seen remarkable strides in my overall cardio fitness by doing spinning 2-3 times a week for the past month.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Sweaty fun, best thing about spinning is that you can feel the improvement with each session as you become fittter and faster. This means that you are able to train harder for the same amount of time all by turning a little knob.

Towel and water a must.