kicking alcohol!

Options
I relapsed into alcohol abuse 3 months ago and had been going on weekly benders since then. It was pretty awful but finally i'm committed to staying on the wagon. I'm one week sober and eating sugar and other carbs (cereal, crackers, and bread) like crazy. I know that alcohol is converted into sugar in the body and that's why I'm craving these foods. I'm in inpatient treatment, with lots of refined carb foods around, and being a lush can't resist something addictive if it's right in front of me and can't have "just one." Going home in 5 days and will keep sugar out of the house and limit my intake of bread (I eat only sprouted grain bread), just have a little fresh fruit. Has anyone else had this experience and if so how did you deal with the withdrawals from booze?

I want to beat sugar addiction. Do you think I should go cold-turkey and give up the bread and fruit? I'm vegan and eat mostly fresh vegetables, soy products, and legumes. No pasta (I don't like it).

Replies

• hArL3yxQu1nN
    Options
    Don't go cold turkey! Slowly wean yourself off. Say you eat 59g of sugar a day- the next day try to cut it down to 55g etc. Challenge yourself to eat less & less sugar each day. Im a recovering alcholic (still binge every week). Since I know I will binge I try to stay away from as much sugar as I can for the rest of the week.

You're strong. Good luck.
  • Don46
    Don46 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been in your shoes (6 1/2 years ago). Focus on your sobriety first, the rest can and will come later. Exercise is a great way to fill that free time you now have, reduce stress, and feel good about yourself.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations for going into treatment and facing your demons head on.

Right now, I think it's more important to keep yourself free from alcohol. My gosh, you're 'only' one week into sobriety - do one thing at a time and give yourself credit for what you've achieved! Alcoholism will kill you a lot quicker than sugar/refined carbs. Have you spoken to anybody on your team about this?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think you should focus on your sobriety and don't worry about tackling sugar, fruit or bread, especially not cold turkey. And don't call yourself a lush. :flowerforyou:

Congratulations on your week and your resolve! Don't let something like your diet interfere with something as crucial as your sobriety! No one really ruins their lives with fruit. :smile:
  • essa78
    essa78 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Keep up with the sobriety! That should be your main goal,above all else. If you ate sugar like you drank alcohol, would you have the troubles that you're going through now?

My husband has been sober almost 5 years now. I thank him every day for his sobriety, it's more important than anything, ANYTHING! in his life. He eats a big bowl of ice cream every night. I buy half gallons two at a time, we go through so much ice cream in this house. I wouldn't care if he ate nothing but ice cream for the rest of his life, simply because he's SOBER!

Eat ALL THE FRUIT YOU WANT. Do it. Just do it! Go for a walk or bike ride or lift some weights afterward.
    Just lay off the hootch.

I think that trying to "beat sugar addiction" is a form of self sabotage. Especially while you're so early into your recovery, and especially with your history of relapse.

Have the one goal. 90 AA meetings in 90 days.
    Complete the one goal.
    THEN make a new goal.
  • laciemn
    laciemn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey is the thing to do at first. After you aren't addicted you can put it back in if you want. I don't eat carbs at every meal or anything but sometimes I eat candy or a can of fruit. No big! Just I would say don't have more than a little each day, or have a moderate amount a couple times a week or something.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Focus on your sobriety. That's the most important thing right now. You will have so much going on emotionally in the next 6 months to a year, that that is ALL you should be concerned about quitting right now. Thus the slogan you will hear over and over again in AA, "First things First".
    I wish you the very best! You've got this!
    11.5 years sober
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    11.5 years sober

Wow! Well done you, that's pretty amazing :flowerforyou:
  • lovestolift67
    Options
    Do not take on too much when it comes to addictions. Definitely focus on your sobriety. I have been there. It will be 4 years this October that I have been sober, but it should have been going on 7 years. 4 years ago, found out that a childhood friend of mine was murdered in cold blood. Wrong place, wrong time. Single mother of 4, and was 6 months from getting her Bachelors. For 2 weeks I was in a drunken stupor, and my diet, well if you call it eating. Was more like oozing. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, with crap food in between. Once I picked myself up (again) I took everything slow, and you have to do the same. Never go cold turkey, it has to be a gradual process so your body can adjust to it. Baby steps, and doing the best you can do. :-)
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice and your kind words! You're right I shouldn't stress about the food. No need to complicate my life with that when I'm working on staying sober. Can't wait to get back to working out.:smile:
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Try reading 'Living Sober'. As most have said already focus on your sobriety. Give yourself some time and give yourself a break. It is easy to get caught up in the pattern of trying to fix everything about yourself. I am 18 months sober and have managed to stop eating sugar and quit smoking, but I didn't even try that until I had six months sobriety and didn't actually stop till after a year.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Sorry that I don't have any real advice in response to your question, I just wanted to wish you the best of luck and congratulate you in taking the steps to make yourself happier!
    Wish you the best!
  • heartworth9
    heartworth9 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Easy does it. My son went through two months of treatment, two months at a halfway house, two months living with me (where his diet began to improve) and he is now 8.5 months sober. I joined him and have stopped drinking since New Years. Too much family history with alcohol so gave it up. Had some cravings but those are gone now.

Wheat Belly says the wheat we are eating now causes cravings, which makes sense to me. So, I have gone gluten free and just eat real food now. Fruit, vegies, lean meats, whole grains with occasional cheat treat for my inner child to be happy.

First things first, embrace the 12 steps, get a sponsor, do the inner work that needs to be done that drove you to drink....emotional sobriety is a big part of recovery. I go to Adult Children of Alcoholics, Al-Anon, AA and CODA. All give a different lense to look through.

Sugar right now is far far better for you than alcohol is. Part of the process of recovery. Every day you stay sober, you will have options and choices to create the life you want, one day at a time.

You go girl!
  • constellation709
    constellation709 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Glad you're all here, keep on keeping on.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Good job taking care of yourself. You can do it!