When to get your rings resized...

Options
Hi all...

I've lost a total of about 45 lbs so far. My wedding rings are starting to get a little loose. For those of you that have lost a significant amount of weight...when did you get your wedding rings resized?

When I'm inside in the air conditioning it's pretty loose. When I'm outside in the heat it fits okay... still a little loose but not falling off. I just don't want to have to keep getting it resized as I plan to lose quite a bit more weight.

Thoughts...?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Mine are on a chain around my neck currently. I probably won't get them resized until I'm within 10lbs of my goal. The reason being that the rings are either a 7 1/2 or 8 (cannot remember) and the last time I was my goal weight my ring size was a 5 1/2.

If I try to wear them now, they are loose enough that moving my hand too fast causes them to go flying off my finger.
  • jenniferkepler3
    Options
    That's a good idea! I never thought about that!
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Mine are at the jewelers right now. I took them in to be sized up, then started on this adventure to lose weight...I'm down nearly 20 pounds, and I'm pretty sure they won't fit me now, so I'm leaving them there until my birthday in September. I hope to be at my goal weight by then. I've got just about 10 pounds to lose.
  • jenniferv38
    jenniferv38 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I've lost 35 but have a lot more to go. I saw these things online called ring guards. They look like a little spacer that fits on the back of your ring to make the fit a little snugger without making any changes to the ring.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Let's throw it back to 1992 and wrap some yarn around the bands
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You might want to think about purchasing another set of rings to wear until you get them resized. QVC has tons of bridal sets in faux diamonds that are very reasonable. I wouldn't resize until I got near my goal. Having rings sized down is such a pain!
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Buy an extended warranty on them that includes sizings. That way you can get it done more than once as needed. Usually the warranty and a single sizing are about the same price.
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Walmart sells these little plastic ring sizer things that fit on your ring and keep them snugger. Or you can buy a cheap temporary band until you get to a lower weight. I wouldn't resize your rings until your at your goal weight.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    You can have a jeweler put a ring sizer on there for you - it is a little metal piece that goes across the ring to make it smaller and once you have hit your goal and are ready to resize you can have it taken off to do it. That way you aren't having to get it resized all the time, and you can adjust the bar a bit (it is a bit flexible) as you move to a smaller size (also nice on those days when you might retain water if that happens to you - I don't have that in my hands but I have a friend who gets so bad she has trouble bending her fingers sometimes). I had them do that with my grandmothers ring when I was younger (and still thin) - probably 15 years ago at least - it is still on there (although I haven't tried to wear it any time recently - it won't fit with the ring sizer right now - my goal is for it to fit again).

ETA: Found a picture of what I am talking about:

lady.jpg
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    I got them sized down when I lost before. Then I regained so much weight I haven't been able to remove them in 8 years.

My takeaway from this is... once I do lose enough to get them off, they will fit until I get past the weight I was before. Lucky, eh? pfft

If I manage to get all the way to my final goal I'll likely need another resize. If that is the case, I'll wear them on a chain until I maintain a minimum three months.
  • kjm_723
    kjm_723 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had mine resized a few months ago. I'd lost 70+ lbs by then and knew I didn't want to lose much more. I went from a sz9 to sz7.25, but I should've waited because they still feel loose. But I'm just going to leave them because getting them sized was a nightmare! Mostly because of engraving issues, but anyway I'm not going through that again. My knuckle is large enough to keep it on, so I don't feel like losing them will be a problem. Before I had them sized, I wore a sizer. It was very annoying but I knew they wouldn't fall off with that, but eventually I took it off and started wearing them on a bigger finger.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    when your happy and ready to maintain.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm only 15 pounds in (with about 85 to go) and my rings are already starting to get loose. Thankfully my nice set came with a warranty that includes sizing, but I really don't want to have to get it done more than once, so I'll probably wear them around my neck once they're actually falling off. I also wear my original wedding band on my right hand (which I just had sized up a few months ago so I could wear it) and it's about to fall off already. It'll probably just go back in the box until I get pretty close to goal since I'll have to pay to get this one resized again.
  • jenniferkepler3
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions!! I think I still have a little bit more time to decide... I kind of like the idea of getting a different band to wear until I get where I want to be. I'm also going to look into those inserts that some of you talked about!
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmm what to do, what to do..........
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I am currently wearing my wedding set on my index finger LOL. I could get them resized as I don't think the last 20 lbs is going to do much to my ring size. But, it's a lot of money due to the make up of the set and I keep finding other things to spend my cash on.

If you're not close to your goal weight, I wouldn't do it. Just wear them on a bigger finger.
  • fsfgardener
    fsfgardener Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know I'm jumping in late on this conversation, but I thought I'd better give a heads up on this subject. I lost 52 lbs over the last year and I'm down to my goal weight, which is a good thing. But the bad thing is that yesterday, while working in the yard digging peonies to divide and move, I lost my wedding ring. I was wearing gloves, but at several points took them off. Only when I came in to wash up did I realize my ring was gone. No luck in the fingers of my glove, no luck searching my pockets, no possible way to hunt it up in the yard.

I wish I'd gone the route of wearing it on a chain like someone suggested or just hiking myself down to the jewelers for a resizing. I guess I liked the loose feel after experiencing the sad opposite for several years. So don't take chances. They might well end in tears. :-(
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I'm working to get back into my wedding band can't wait but I still have about 25lb to get to wedding weight and 15 more after that to get to engagement weight. What can I say I stress eat!
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    The jeweller i went to will not resize more than twice the bending etc isn't good for the metal so told me to come back when I finished dieting.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I know I'm jumping in late on this conversation, but I thought I'd better give a heads up on this subject. I lost 52 lbs over the last year and I'm down to my goal weight, which is a good thing. But the bad thing is that yesterday, while working in the yard digging peonies to divide and move, I lost my wedding ring. I was wearing gloves, but at several points took them off. Only when I came in to wash up did I realize my ring was gone. No luck in the fingers of my glove, no luck searching my pockets, no possible way to hunt it up in the yard.

I wish I'd gone the route of wearing it on a chain like someone suggested or just hiking myself down to the jewelers for a resizing. I guess I liked the loose feel after experiencing the sad opposite for several years. So don't take chances. They might well end in tears. :-(

Sorry to hear that :(

What about renting a metal detector like you see people using at the beach?