Antidepressants and Weight Gain

Options
A few weeks ago my grandfather was diagnosed with stage 3 small cell lung cancer. The doctor basically told him there is no remission, there is no recovery, it's just a matter of time. Then I starting spinning out of control.

I got upset to the point where I had difficulties even make it through a day at work. Stupid, little things made me cry, and not just like a few tears, but a total MELT DOWN. Finally I called my doctor, who recommended I make an appointment with her to discuss possibly taking antidepressants. Granted, exercising has made a huge different in my mood, but at this point it just isn't making enough of a difference.

Overall I am not a huge fan of "mood-altering" drugs. But at this point, I'm willing to try anything. If nothing else, I at least need to maintain some sort of a routine and make it through the work week. But one of the main concerns I have is relevant to weight gain. How does this happen? Does it slow down your metabolism? Does it just make you eat more?

This is not really something that is going to be a major deciding factor in what I do. In the end, sanity > weight loss. But I got thinking about it and was wondering if anyone actually knew much about this.

If anyone has any articles etc. they can share related to the topic, it would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Misterjosh
    Options
    Hi,
    I was medicated for six years of my life and can attest to the frequent claim that antidepressants encourage weight gain. I say encourage because I certainly believe that it is possible to avoid wait gain - I'm not sure how possible because I kind of lost sight on my weight after a while. By "lost sight" I mean I ballooned to roughly 280 pounds. Yes, I was in a rough situation and possibly benefited from the magic of modern chemistry (at least I didn't off myself). I guess that's my comment, if you're ready to kill yourself- and I mean seriously have plans about it, then you should probably alter your mood for a while. If you can avoid medication, do it. Seriously. I kicked my medication over a year ago and haven't looked back (rapid weight loss followed). Most people eat their feelings whether they realize it or not. So, are you deeply depressed and ready to put a turkey bag over your head or are you simply saddened by the negative medical prognosis. In the end, it will all work out.
  • brandygburke
    brandygburke Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Effexor caused me to gain major weight - and I wasn't eating! But everything I was eating was sticking to me. I learned that Most SSRIs have this effect. The only two I've heard have a lower chance of weight gain is buspar and lexapro. I was 120 when I started taking Effexor and 145 when I stopped a year later, and the weight STILL hasn't left me.

However, if you need the meds, there is NOTHING wrong with taking it, and feeling better is important, you just have to weigh the pros and cons.

Take care hon,
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your Grandfather. I know how difficult this can be. We went through this with my Dad last summer.
    Anyway, I was already on Prozac for anxiety and depression and PMDD. I gained no weight when I started it but actually lost weight! I wasn't eating when I was feeling down or empty, because I wasn't feeling that way anymore. I got more energy and exercised more and was just happy. I started the meds about 4 years ago and would never want to give them up. Weight gain was a huge concern of mine as well, but I am happy to say that for me it was not a worry at all. I have heard the same from others that went on it too. I haven't heard of anyone gaining weight that went on it, though I did read it was a possibility.
    I will keep you and your grandfather in my thoughts!!
    Rhonda
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    Wellbutrin is one of the only Antidepressants that is not supposed to make you gain weight.

So sorry to hear about your grandfather.
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you communicate with your doctor. Anti-depressants do different things for different people. I have seen many people lose weight on anti-depressants. Weight gain can be a side effect (some are worse than others). Let you doctor know this is a concern of yours...,. then your doc can choose one with that in mind.

Sometimes an anti-depressant helps to MOTIVATE you to get back to exercise. When you are depressed, you are typically very lethargic. If you force yourself to exercise, I guarantee you, that you will not be on medication for long. Exercise speeds up the healing process!

If you are thinking about suicide (which is not uncommon when some one is depressed or has lost some one special) then the medication is worth it. If you gain weight, worry about it later. At least you will live to lose the weight!!! Also consider therapy. I think that family physicians often overlook the fact that medication IN COMBINATION with therapy is BEST!!!! If you can not afford therapy, then buy yourself a $30 self help book!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry about your grandfather. It's painful to watch someone you love go through so much. Good for you for reaching out for help coping.

I've been on an antidepressant for over two years, since just after my mom died, and it didn't greatly effect my weight one way or another. What DID effect my weight was when my depression worsened and I went into a tailspin. I noticed that when I'm going through a particularly stressful time, such as when my Mom was hospitalized, I go into survival mode where I just do the basic things to function, and typically lose weight because my focus is on someone else. I first noticed I did that when my 18 year old cat had kidney failure and I spent so much spare time coaxing her to eat that I didn't eat much myself. Same thing when Mom was in the hospital, and I spent just about every spare moment for four months with her. But after my Mom passed (actually, same as with my cat, but I hate to compare the two because losing Mom was so much worse), so much of my daily routine was in the caretaking that I felt completely lost, and ended up overeating.

It depends on how you personally cope with stress and loss and heartache. With my depression, it was an effort just to do basic things like fill the birdfeeder or fold the laundry. I wasn't the least bit active, and I turned to food for comfort. Some people go off food when they're depressed. I feel more energized while on my antidepressant. It doesn't alter my mood... it enables me to cope with my mood. I liken it to wearing glasses. I can't see clearly without my glasses. Without my antidepressant, my MIND doesn't see the world clearly. It's hazy, dark and oppressive. With it, I'm able to tackle whatever life throws at me.
  • ErinJ1981
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather...

I took Lexapro for about 3 years then recently switched to Citalopram. Both are very good drugs.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Yes a loss is hard to deal with, but talk to someone instead of relying on meds. Been there, done that when my dad died. I can tell you its not worth it.

When I wanted to stop taking antidepressants, I weaned myself off but I still went through 2 weeks of withdrawal - dizzy, nausea, my eyesight would suddenly slosh around.. NOT GOOD. Oh, and I gained 30 pounds even with exercise.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes most can make you gain weight except a few Wellbutrin is one of them. Actually the FDA is looking at a weight loss drug that uses that plus topamax to help people loose weight. But you have to look at the whole picture..how severe is the depression. I gained over 100 lbs on prozac but my depression has gotten so bad that I have had to add celexa to my wellbutrin(even though I am terrified of gaining weight) I had to try something. I am so sorry to hear about your grand father..I work with cancer patients and know it is a horrible disease, but one thing that I have found to be true is peoples attutide of their illness makes the world of difference. I see it all the time..do you have a good support system..If you need anything I am here if you have any questions that pertain to the cancer or whatever...........
  • KTalada
    KTalada Posts: 47
    Options
    Yes a loss is hard to deal with, but talk to someone instead of relying on meds. Been there, done that when my dad died. I can tell you its not worth it.

When I wanted to stop taking antidepressants, I weaned myself off but I still went through 2 weeks of withdrawal - dizzy, nausea, my eyesight would suddenly slosh around.. NOT GOOD. Oh, and I gained 30 pounds even with exercise.
  • KTalada
    KTalada Posts: 47
    Options
    Think I did this reply & quote thing wrong--please excuse me as I'm going through the withdrawal right now. Quit taking Paxil & doc tried switching me to Effexor which just made me sick, sick, sick. Now quit both & the withdrawal symptoms are absolutely horrible! Dramamine helps a bit with the dizziness, but now I'm just SO TIRED! Hoping to feel better in a couple days to celebrate our wedding anniversary with my husband (15 years). Trying to function is a challenge feeling all woozy & fuzzy headed. :(
  • nikkiw81
    nikkiw81 Posts: 4
    Options
    very sorry to hear your news.i,like a lot of people suffer from depression and i am currently taking 40mg of fluoxetine (prozac) a day.i did put a bit of weight on but i am also a comfort eater which is a habit i have just recently got out of.i cant tell you whether the weight gain was due to the meds or comfort eating or a mixture of both?i gained around a stone as i felt constantly hungry.thankfully im quite small in the first place so it didnt make me overweight but i felt soooooo uncomfortable in myself.i have lost 5lb and have another 8lbs to lose.sorry,this is a bit long winded!i guess what im trying to say is,if you feel you can cope without meds,dont take them.if you really feel like you are in the darkest place and struggle to get out of bed/leave the house etc. take them.i was the best decision i made and i personally dont ever want to come off them.x
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandpa.

I think anti-depressants are required when your life is being affected so much.

I am on prozac, and started them 2 months into my weight loss. I have continued to lose weight in the same way as I did before, its no easier, and no harder.
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm so, so sorry about your grandfather. Things like this are so tough for loved ones - you may very well be helped by taking an antidepressant for awhile. Believe me, I've been through a lot - last year alone there were four deaths in my extended family - my ex-husband, my ex-boyfriend (whom my kids considered to be their stepdad), a friend I met something like 30 yrs ago, and my oldest dog - who was a very big part of our family, and was a very big loss. Then & after other times when I experienced pain like this, I needed to be on an antidepressant. I only stopped when I realized that I didn't need it anymore. I never experienced any weight gain with them (I had to switch meds after taking them for awhile).

Do what you need to do to get through it. The loss will be forever when you love someone - but in time you'll be able to remember the good times instead of the pain.

Edited to add:

I don't consider antidepressants to be so much mood-altering, as they are returning a mood BACK to normal. Your mood is already altered by a life-altering situation.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago my grandfather was diagnosed with stage 3 small cell lung cancer. The doctor basically told him there is no remission, there is no recovery, it's just a matter of time. Then I starting spinning out of control.

I got upset to the point where I had difficulties even make it through a day at work. Stupid, little things made me cry, and not just like a few tears, but a total MELT DOWN. Finally I called my doctor, who recommended I make an appointment with her to discuss possibly taking antidepressants. Granted, exercising has made a huge different in my mood, but at this point it just isn't making enough of a difference.

Overall I am not a huge fan of "mood-altering" drugs. But at this point, I'm willing to try anything. If nothing else, I at least need to maintain some sort of a routine and make it through the work week. But one of the main concerns I have is relevant to weight gain. How does this happen? Does it slow down your metabolism? Does it just make you eat more?

This is not really something that is going to be a major deciding factor in what I do. In the end, sanity > weight loss. But I got thinking about it and was wondering if anyone actually knew much about this.

If anyone has any articles etc. they can share related to the topic, it would be greatly appreciated!

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather!

Anti-depressants are technically mood-altering, but they are not 'happy pills'. The best way that I can describe them when they are working properly is that they put a floor on how low your mood can go. You can still be sad, still cry, etc. But you don't sink down into that never-ending spiral and find yourself unable to climb out. So if you knock over the sugar bowl, instead of crying and then telling yourself that not only are you graceless and uncoordinated but you've also never done anything right in your entire life and of course no one ever loved you because how could someone love such a screw up, you may be momentarily annoyed and then you just clean up the sugar and get on with your day.

These days, people are usually put on an SSRI. If you can get one of the newer ones like Lexapro, it's worth it. They take effect sooner and tend to have fewer side effects than the older ones. You have serotonin receptors in your brain, yes, but also in your gut. So sometimes people do see a change in appetite--up or down. But not always. If you find that one SSRI is causing weight gain, then you can switch to another that may not produce that side-effect in you.

The mechanism by which an SSRI can effect weight is not well understood, but it's not thought to lower metabolism, no. Just as many people find they lose weight on one, because they are more motivated to be active and their sleep patterns return to normal. You just don't see them complaining on message boards about it. ;)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin is one of the only Antidepressants that is not supposed to make you gain weight.

So sorry to hear about your grandfather.

I think that Wellbutrin, like Effexor, is in the SNRI class meaning it acts on both serotonin and norepinephrine. They're generally not the first choice unless you are in an intractable depression because they can be more difficult to discontinue. Very effective though, and yes, less commonly associated with weight gain.

The atypical antispychotics are almost always associated with significant weight gain, but they're not usually used in straight depression unless it's being added to an anti-depressant that has stopped working or the patient is bi-polar.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I recently started Zoloft for PPD. My baby is now nine months old and I spent the first 8 months crying endlessly and feeling down about everything. Finally asked my Dr. for help.

Iasked him about weight gain with anti-depressants and he said every one is different and you really just don't know until you take the med how you will react to it. With zoloft he said that if you tend to not eat when stressed or depressed you will most likely eat when your mood levels out. If you tend to overeat when down then you most likely will not when the drug levels out.

I have only been taking it 2 weeks. Noticed some change in mood finally and I have lost weight. Even after having gastric bypass 4 1/2 years ago, trying to lose the baby weight was difficult. Now I am not wanting to snack all day like I was before.