Looking for PCOS Friends

Options
jclark0425
jclark0425 Posts: 7 Member
I was diagnosed with PCOS and put on Metformin. I was told by my doctor it will be harder for me to lose weight but that I definitely need to. If anyone has advice about what worked and didn't work for them I will take anything. Or if anyone is looking for friends I don't have any on here as this is my first day.

Replies

• livingwithpcos
    Options
    Hello, I too was recently diagnosed with PCOS and put on 500mg of Metformin twice a day. At first I experienced great stomach pains but I think I am used to it now. I have been on it for almost 3 weeks. My doctor told met that I should be able to lose weight easier on Metformin since it is usually prescribed for diabetics. I have always had issues with weight that didn't make sense to me! Before my diagnosis I experimented a little and found out that I am most sensitive to carbs (which makes sense now that I know I have PCOS) and I went on an incredibly restricitve low carb and low fat diet (high in protein) and used to exercise like 4 times a week for a good hour. Unfortunately I still couldn't lose weight or lost weight at a VERY slow rate and would get frustrated then start eating like a maniac again! Ever since I started taking Metformin I increased my carb intake a little (mostly whole-wheat and complex carbs) and although I haven't lost a single pound yet, I also haven't gained anything which is quite impressive considering the restrictions I had to put on myself before.
    Don't worry, a lot of women have PCOS (I believe the number is 5 million women in the US have it or something) and I think with proper diet and exercise you should shed the pounds and get rid of the negative symptoms. I am trying out eating a high protein and fiber diet with some complex carbohydrates on the days that I work out on. Veggies are great and fruit is also good when eaten with fats/protein.

Good luck :)
  • Kelli8885
    Kelli8885 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS with insulin resistance. I've been on Metformin since October. The side effects, if you have any, will subside after a week or two. Metformin works by helping your body use insulin more effectively. Once your insulin levels are in better control, you will be able to lose weight with the same amount of effort as any other person. I only recently started trying to lose weight and it has been slow but steady for the most part. Basically, I'm walking 3 to 4 times a week and averaging around 1500 calories a day before exercise. I wouldn't say I am low-carb really but I do eat fewer carbs than MFP suggests. For food, I am focusing on lean proteins, fruits, veggies, and whole grains.

I'll send you a friend request :)
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be a downer, but reading about Polycystic ovary disease and why it is hard to stay fit, I got sad. I am really proud of you who are working on being fit when there are extra challenges from the gate to getting fit and losing weight. And challenges does not really give one an idea of the difficulties faced by women with Polycystic ovary disease.

My commendations and best wishes for you all. You are some shining stars for real.
  • jvincent1976
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 10 years ago. I went on Metformin and stayed on for about 3 years, but came off of it right before my son was born. I never started back up again. I have found that the best thing that works for me to lose weight is to track my food religiously and to exercise regularly. I started running about 15 months ago, and that kicked my weight loss up a notch for sure. I followed a simple couch to 5K program where I began by alternating 30 seconds of running with a minute of walking. I slowly increased my running time until I was able to run the full 5K without stopping.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    right here! I was diagnosed at 20, but had symptoms as a teenager. Feel free to add me :-)
  • shubec85
    shubec85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I too have PCOS, as well as Graves disease. I have never been on medications for the PCOS though. Feel free to add me!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be a downer, but reading about Polycystic ovary disease and why it is hard to stay fit, I got sad. I am really proud of you who are working on being fit when there are extra challenges from the gate to getting fit and losing weight. And challenges does not really give one an idea of the difficulties faced by women with Polycystic ovary disease.

My commendations and best wishes for you all. You are some shining stars for real.

Thank-you, yes its very challenging and women with it have varying degrees of severity as well. People without it never fully understand what we go through. I get so tired of explaining it at times, but that's my just life. My goal was to drop 100 lbs, and its been 2 1/2 years and I'm still not at my GW!
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 21, but have not been diagnosed with any of the other adjacent issues. I am not currently taking any medications. I'm *lucky* enough to miss periods for a month or two (occasionally, most times it's regular), and then have a monster of a period the next time it decides to show up.

My weight started creeping up, and my periods started getting irregular in my late teens.

I feel like I'm lucky, even with my PCOS diagnosis, I haven't found it to be a major obstacle to losing weight, so I'm not sure how much of a support I'd be. :-\

Edit to add: I do have a significant amount to lose, as well, so THAT I can understand. :)
  • Novus175
    Novus175 Posts: 80
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2005 and the endocrinologist prescribed metformin and spironolactone. I lost some weight and my blood work improved slightly but the side effects were not worth it. Plus, I just really hate prescription drugs. I quit taking them after about 9 months. I then totally ignored my PCOS for several years.....not something I'd recommend!

In late 2012 I saw a holistic practitioner who recommended I take cinnamon and saw palmetto. In 2013 I started taking those supplements and eating wheat-free low-carb (<100g/day). I have been losing about 1.5-2 pounds per week (though it's slowed down a bit as I get closer to goal). I started running in May but other than that I haven't included much exercise in my weight loss program.

I recently saw the endocrinologist again to re-do my blood work and when the results came back he said that the improvement was so dramatic that he wouldn't even diagnose me with PCOS based on my current labs.

So, yes, there IS hope.....it is possible to lose the weight and it is possible to feel healthier than you ever have in your life. And if you have any problems/issues with the prescription drugs, remember that there are alternatives.

Best of luck to you!
  • MYRABUTLER89
    Options
    Me. :( I was diagnosed when I was 17 (im now 25). Anyone feel free to add me.
  • emoonting
    emoonting Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 21 and diagnosed with pcos this year. I'm having such a miserable time of it. I have a laparoscopy coming in a couple of weeks eek, but hopefully that will help somehow. It's probably tmi but I haven't actually been able to be intimate in over a year with my partner due to pain.
  • apinto2011
    apinto2011 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm 21 and got diagnosed with pcos and endometriosis when I was 16. I'm having a really hard time losing weight with all of the pain I am in. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    was diagnosed when i was 19 and ignored it ever since (i turned 36 yesterday) due to no insurance most of the time.

finally have insurance and going to see my obgyn on the 28th.

until then i have nothing intelligent to say about it except i keep doing what i need to do and increasing activity every week, even though the scale stopped changing two months ago.