Just starting again, question about calorie goals

Options
Hello All

I've been reading around on the message boards, and I'm starting to second guess my calorie intake. When I first started myfitnesspal, I chose 1200 calories as my daily goal. I did this based on wanting to lose weight without having to exercise much (ha.) Needless to say it was really hard, and I didn't stick with it.

On January 5, I decided to make a commitment to get my health back and start losing weight! I did some research and decided to find out what my BMR was, and what my calorie intake should be at my goal weight. After using different sites, and varying calculators the calorie intake I would need to be at my goal weight would be 1700. This was a pretty different way of existing, since apparently to maintain my overweight frame I would need to eat 2300.

Over the last 10 days I have lost 6.6 pounds, and been under my calorie goal every day. I find that I eat on average 1400 calories. I visit the gym after class three times a week, and I hope as I get more comfortable that I will work out more.

I guess my question is I'm seeing a lot of folks share on the message boards that they're eating 1200 calories per day. So far my calorie intake is working, but am I doing something wrong? Am I eating too much?

Replies

• theatr3geek
    Options
    Everyone is totally different. A lot of overweight people can still eat more and lose a lot. As for me, I found that I just about maintain when eating 1200 a day because I have a very small frame and I am very short. I vary my calories between about 800 and 100 and drop about a pound per week with this calorie intake.
    It really depends on the person and your metabolism.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that if you've lost 6.6 lbs in 10 days, everything you're doing is bang on! :)
  • MstarsElizabeth
    MstarsElizabeth Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I guess I'm just so paranoid, because this is really truly the first time I've taken my health seriously. My husband asked me today what's the least I've weighed as an adult and I honestly can say I've never seen anything below 185. I'm just paranoid that I'm meant to be overweight, always.

Thanks for your support!!! : )
  • triciary1223
    Options
    It does vary by person, frame size, current weight, and how quickly you want to lose. I'm 5'1, 145, and I maintain at 1400-ish... I'm gonna have to drop it down to get these last 15 off. But when I was 180, I could eat 1400 and lose. The more you lose, the more you have to cut back to continue. At least that has been my experience....

However, it also depends on how much and how "hard" you exercise. On days you exercise and log it in, MFP gives those calories back to you to eat! If you want to lose quicker - don't eat them, or save some for a day you know you'll need it. If what you're doing is working for you... I would keep it up and adjust your calories as needed. Good luck! :-)