running shoes?

Options
Is there a topic for this somewhere? I am planning on starting the C25k and would like to know the best running shoe to buy.

Replies

• JSHamm
    JSHamm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    different shoes for different people so there's no really "best" shoe. find a local running store and get a gait analysis done. try on a few pairs based on those results and go with what's most comfortable. then, you know, go run.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    different shoes for different people so there's no really "best" shoe. find a local running store and get a gait analysis done. try on a few pairs based on those results and go with what's most comfortable. then, you know, go run.
    This.

10 epeople will give you 10 diff kind of shoes to try.

When you start narrowing it down put one one teh left, another on the right and you get a step by step comparison
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to a running store and get fitted. Good luck with C25k!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Is there a topic for this somewhere?
    try the search feature.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to a running store and get fitted. Good luck with C25k!

Definitely this. I started c25k in my regular old sneakers but it was apparent after 2 weeks that I needed good ones and it made a world of difference!
  • mncodergal
    mncodergal Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! My daughter, who is a marathoner, uses men's shoes. She says they have more support in the right areas for her.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The search works, but the best bet, as many have said, is get to a running store and try them out.

I prefer Saucony and Puma myself and I have friends who swear by Merrill, Brooks and so on....really depends on what works for you
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I like New Balance 860 for summer. When the weather gets cooler I use Brooks Ghosts gortex lined but for you go to a running store and get properly fitted once you find a pair that work for you stick with it. A running store not a big box store they usually are not very well informed on running shoes and the different styles.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

This is the best advice when it comes to running shoes.
  • WAS287GOAL170
    WAS287GOAL170 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I LOVE SAUCONY SHOES! I ran 5 miles in them the 1st day. No breaking in necessary, no blisters, nada. There sizes run weird though I usually wear an 8.5 but I got a 9.5. Sales guy says as you loose weight your feet get longer and leaner to. Not sure if that was a crock or not but I love them. My new favorite shoes by far! Good Luck!
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    really, really cannot emphasize enough the importance of going to a store that will do a proper fitting, preferably with gait analysis that will help determine how much support you do (or do not) need. I made the mistake a few years ago when i first started running of just buying a pair, which were a lightweight neutral running shoe. 3 weeks later, i had planar fasciatis and shin splits. I'm an overpronator, and once I got a pair of shoes designed to support me properly, it hasn't recurred since despite running a lot more now. so i don't always end up with the prettiest pair but I much prefer the pain/injury-free running!
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Gait analysis may be good, but it may be that instead of looking for shoes to "fix" your gait it would be worthwhile working on improving your gait in itself -- use a gait analysis to highlight problems with your running gait rather than necessarily to guide you to buying a particular type of shoe.

You can run in pretty much any shoes really (look around the world at what people run in).

There's evidence that different types of running shoes don't make any difference to injury rates, so that has to be down to your gait and technique and exercise schedule.

(And ignore any salesperson saying that feet get longer and leaner when you lose weight!)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    in the beginning you can get away with a cross trainer like new balance. you'll be run-walking, and using it for the gym and even just going for a trip to the store.

but little by little as you are putting on more miles (think like, in a year when you're contemplating starting to train for a half marathon) you;ll be wanting more than one pair or running shoes. i think i currently have four pairs of running sneakers.
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Specialty running shoes store. Get properly fitted shoes + non-cotton socks. The link below will give you an idea about prices
    http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-guide/summer-2014

Good luck with your race preparation! :flowerforyou:
  • Newnameishardtofind
    Newnameishardtofind Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Just like most others have said. Get fit and be sure they are the right shoes for your feet. Enjoy the run
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    There will be a topic on it, but it will say exactly the same as this thread, go to a running store and get your gait analysed, they should recommend several different shoes for you to try, you make the decision then on personal preference:)