Lunch Recipes For A Student?

andreacord
andreacord Posts: 928
edited September 23 in Recipes
Hi everyone,

I'm in my last year of high school, and i don't know what to take for lunch anymore! I usually take a salad of spinach or lettuce, but i've been doing it everyday and i don't know what else to bring! I'm trying to keep it low carb as well so i normally don't take sandwiches. Does anyone have any healthy ideas for me?

Any recipes would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Have you tried a wrap ? My daughter loved the laughing cow cheese(light) spread on a tortilla and add ham or turkey!
  • kaitlinmre
    kaitlinmre Posts: 86 Member
    I normally take turkey(or ham) and cheese roll-ups and a veggie :) Low-carb and filling!
  • I am in the same boat except I am a high school teacher and the school lunch options are a definite NO! and I get bored with sandwiches every day. If you have access to a microwave (check with your teachers if there isn't one in the cafeteria; we don't mind sharing ours with students if they ask) try some of the Lean Cuisine/Healthy Choice/Smart Ones frozen meals. Do check the calories/fat though some seem to be high in fat for me even if they have the healthy name.

Also, you can do a canned soup or something like that, there are several options that are low calorie/low fat or make double of your dinner the night before and pack the left overs for lunch. Good luck and I would love to hear other's suggestions too!
  • Apple slices with peanut butter also is a good one! I work in an elementary school and I agree on the lunch choices LOL! I usually do the lean cuisine! The 4 chz pizza is really good~
  • I am a college student in my second year, so I know where you're coming from. I don't know what to tell you about low carb- but I always try to have a vegetable, fruit, grain, and some protein. The other day I packed a salad with 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese & an apple. I try switching it up with a variety so I don't get bored because sandwiches can get boring.
    I use whole grain pita pockets, bread, tortillas. I'll pack a half a cup of grapes one day and an apple another. Same with baby carrots or avacado and spinach in my pita. Packing lunches can be hard for someone doing low carb. But hopefully this helped you out a little bit.
  • 25anniversary2011
    25anniversary2011 Posts: 123 Member
    If you like tuna, Star Kist has a tuna lunch kit (210 calories). I usually take some carrots or fiber bar or chips to eat it with.
  • JenCM
    JenCM Posts: 195
    I'm doing low carb also, and I just discovered the Flat Out Lite Wraps with whole wheat and Flax. 5 Net carbs...9 grams of Fiber. You could do so many different wraps. Bake them into chips. Do quesadillas!

If you have a way to heat something up - I'm also always all for a meat and veggie chili. Do turkey, add lots of peppers, onions, etc. That would give you a couple days of food and you could change it up from day to day.
  • I agree 100% on the soup option if you have a microwave or thermos. I find they are filling and I can fill them with tonnes of veg.
    I totally understand with being a little sick of salads.
    the little cans of tuna are handy and I always keep them in my desk at the office.
    I also made little sandwich wraps with lettuce as the wraps and put in curried chicken salad with grapes and a few nuts - and I add some dijon mustard and yogurt rather than mayonnaise.
    gooood luck.
    the big secret is just to bring a lunch rather than buying as you'll make healthier choices so you're already on the right track.
    Well done.
This discussion has been closed.